Is group finder queue screwy? (w/ regard to roles)

Rolodome

So I do veteran flashpoints pretty regularly and I'm starting to feel like I'm being screwed with.

Here's the weirdness, in a nutshell: When I queue up as DPS, most of the time there is no tank or healer. So far not weird. Not that many people queue as those roles for veteran flashpoints.

So here's where I feel like I'm being screwed with. I decide I'm going to be a healer or tank. I queue up as tank, get at least one other tank in the queue. Not always, but often enough that it seems at odds with how often I see them as dps. I queue up as healer, get at least one other healer in the queue. Again, not always, but often enough that it seems at odds with how often I see them as dps.

Could be coincidence, yes. I understand that. Could be I remember the incidents of it happening more than the ones where it doesn't. I understand that too. Still, the ratio seems weirdly specifically off. You'd think that it would be just as common for me to run into tank as healer, or run into healer as tank. Doesn't seem to be as common as running into a duplicate role.

I haven't run the math because... well, it'd be kind of hard to run the math with how variable queues are and how long it takes to run each flashpoint. But I figured I'd make a thread and see if anyone else is getting the same impression or if I'm just being screwed with by coincidence.

(As an aside, it was so screwy one night as far as feeling like I was being screwed with that I queued up something like 2-3 different times on a tank, got multiple tanks, then switched to a healer and got multiple healers.)

And while I'm on the subject, although role neutrality is nice for queues, I kinda feel like it shouldn't allow doubling up on tank or heal. Granted, some people queue for both, or forget and queue, but I've almost never seen someone switch role after porting in, so I think for the most part, it's pretty reliable that people are going to just waste each other's time if the team has more than one healer or tank. You'll go from possibly having a team that easily dies to having one that takes an age and a half to kill anything.

Re: statistical stuff.

If you aren't making notes of each group that forms, confirmation bias will be very strong, so you'll notice the unexpected and forget the expected. Take two seconds to scribble(1) "queued as X, got A tank, B heal, C DPS" religiously on every single pop. After doing that without fail for a while, then, and only then, you will be able to make a more certain statement.

(1) Slices of dried tree puree work best for this, to avoid Alt+Tab delays.

As mentioned above, you need to take notes of each occasion, without doing so, there's no way to determine if it's indeed acting screwy, it's just random people queue-ing. Like anything in life, when things are going smooth, you don't notice it, it's when there's a hiccup, then it stands out. Edited by Pirana

Could it be that the other player who is listed as tank is not a tank, but rather that they have a wrong role ticked? I've seen this happening for few times when queuing (e.g person who has queued as healer is a DPS etc.).

I do notice the pattern as well. The game may be coded to understand that tanks and heals are more sought after for the triad, so when people queue as tank/heal or as dwt/dwh, it will try to fill the sought role rather than the commom dps role, despite how many of that role there are. I.e cant have too much of a good thing. Even though the good thing for vet fps is to burn through them with 4 dps. Edited by olagatonjedi

I don't do veteran mode anymore, but when I did I wanted all DPS. If I did group as a healer and got what your'e describing, I'd put the other "healer/tank" on ignore and then re-queue. You can take them off ignore as soon as you start the next fp. I'd just use ignore as a tool.

Re: statistical stuff.

If you aren't making notes of each group that forms, confirmation bias will be very strong, so you'll notice the unexpected and forget the expected. Take two seconds to scribble(1) "queued as X, got A tank, B heal, C DPS" religiously on every single pop. After doing that without fail for a while, then, and only then, you will be able to make a more certain statement.

(1) Slices of dried tree puree work best for this, to avoid Alt+Tab delays.

I find that running SWTOR in borderless windowed and having 2 monitors work even better than slices of dried tree puree for me. Mostly because my handwriting is awful and I generally can't even read my own after about 5 minutes.

Re: Writing it down, that was the reason for making this thread. I figured if there is a pattern, somebody else may have noticed. :p If nobody else has noticed anything, it's probably just my observational bias.

Try to save myself the trouble writing stuff down just to quiet a suspicion.

I do notice the pattern as well. The game may be coded to understand that tanks and heals are more sought after for the triad, so when people queue as tank/heal or as dwt/dwh, it will try to fill the sought role rather than the commom dps role, despite how many of that role there are. I.e cant have too much of a good thing. Even though the good thing for vet fps is to burn through them with 4 dps.

I think I see what you're saying. That might explain it.

Perhaps Eric, if you happen to come by, could you provide some insight on how the priority for it works?

Re: Writing it down, that was the reason for making this thread. I figured if there is a pattern, somebody else may have noticed. :p If nobody else has noticed anything, it's probably just my observational bias.

I never play healer (any more) or tank (ever), but I have noticed that almost every time I get in a veteran FP there's always another DPS. :D

I queue as Tank/DPS on my Shadow. When I am dropped into an FP, I am sown as DPS, not matter what spec I am currently in. I also queu as heals/DPS on my Sage. Same thing happens. I am dropped in as Heals, no matter what spec I am currently in. This could be why you see things like this as well.

It is exactly like when i wanna solo tank ossus wbs, cause nobody else seems to know what to do. It so happens that there are almost always 3 tanks in the group for whatever reason. When I dont tank it, tanks are nowhere to be found usually. Go figure.