Revan compared to later-era SW

Skatehead

I was wondering how Revan actually compares to the characters in the later day SW universe, eg. Vader, Luke Skywalker, Palpatine, Yoda, etc.

I played KotOR for a long time, a while after I watched the movies, and after all I've seen and read I've come to think he's more powerful then quite a few of them, at least far more experienced. It's always been an interesting thing to think about, and basically want to know what you guys think/know.

Edited by Skatehead

How is "a long time ago in a galaxy far, far away" modern times?

Well, I mean more of from the standpoint the movies take, as in, the era in which Darth Vader, Luke, etc. exist. Not sure why I put modern, just struck me as that, I guess :p

to OP:

Yes I definitely see where you are coming from, Vader seems to have paltry powers in comparison. Even Luke is pretty much a new guy without a lot of training, when you compare him with Revan or even his teacher (kreia and the other names she took in an out of the order)

It seems that they have so much more knowledge and raw power.

There is one person in the SW universe that takes the cake and that is Vader's apprentice in the force unleashed. I was so chuffed at pulling a starship out of the sky, it was the most exiting thing done with the force, ever. But I am not sure where he fits in with the lore, he seems to be almost some kind of alternative universe type person.

Going by EU, Luke and Anakin both were quite capable of these feats, and did so from time to time.

Don't compare anything in the EU to anything in the movies in terms of scale(EU is anything thats official cannon, but not in the movies). If you want to compare Luke to Revan, or Vader to Malak, or Palpatine to the Sith Emperor, you need to make sure you are comparing the EU versions against each other.

The eras dont compare. Its been explained in the movies and by Lucas the strongest jedi and sith lived during the movie time period. And that they have reached the highest potential in lightsaber combat/force in history

Revan doesnt even compare to them

Edited by Girdeux

How is "a long time ago in a galaxy far, far away" modern times?

Time isn't linear and if we can travel faster than the speed of light then this is meaningless and we could get there before it even happened.

As girdeux said, I think the eras don't compare, but in the opposite. The era of the old republic was ravaged by war, and there were by far many more sith in that era. Their power struggle made the lust for new knowledge much greater, and by this I think those were much more powerful than in the movies. Take the Emperor of the sith empire for example. He consumed hundreds of sith lords and an entire planets life and force (millions if inhabitants) to make himself immortal and more powerful. And Revan, who had knowledge to mix the light and the dark side of the force, were almost a match for the Emperor. Compare the Emperor with Darth Sidious (Palpatine), I think the Old Republic emperor were much more powerful, cause a lot of the old eras knowledge of the force were lost in the time between the eras.

and to UpsetLobster:

Starkiller in The Force Unleashed was in between 3rd and the 4th movie. He was Darth Vaders apprentice, and it did happen. Yes, he was powerful, very, but not all powerful. I do agree that pulling a starship out of the sky is pretty awesome, probably the most awesome in the series, but I think that many had the power to do it, but it weren't thought of in the makings of the other movies, games and books, so they didn't do it.

As girdeux said, I think the eras don't compare, but in the opposite. The era of the old republic was ravaged by war, and there were by far many more sith in that era. Their power struggle made the lust for new knowledge much greater, and by this I think those were much more powerful than in the movies. Take the Emperor of the sith empire for example. He consumed hundreds of sith lords and an entire planets life and force (millions if inhabitants) to make himself immortal and more powerful. And Revan, who had knowledge to mix the light and the dark side of the force, were almost a match for the Emperor. Compare the Emperor with Darth Sidious (Palpatine), I think the Old Republic emperor were much more powerful, cause a lot of the old eras knowledge of the force were lost in the time between the eras.

and to UpsetLobster:

Starkiller in The Force Unleashed was in between 3rd and the 4th movie. He was Darth Vaders apprentice, and it did happen. Yes, he was powerful, very, but not all powerful. I do agree that pulling a starship out of the sky is pretty awesome, probably the most awesome in the series, but I think that many had the power to do it, but it weren't thought of in the makings of the other movies, games and books, so they didn't do it.

I think the problem is the lore is butchered by now and much of it makes no sense and because the Original films didn't have modern special effects they had to limit the scope of what they could do. I bet if he remade them now they would be pulling Death Stars out of the sky.

This is what I hate about how Star Wars is now, it's like they're super heroes or something. In the original movies they were rare, powerful but not invincible taking out armies of guys. I just hate how the prequels ruined the whole magic of it and made Jedi common as muck so they ain't special anymore.

Kinda like in SWG as they made them easier and easier to get and by Publish 9 everyone and their mum had one.

You can think that if you wish. Except its been written in canon Yoda was the most powerful Jedi ever in the old republic until Luke. Yoda known as "the fiercest, most implacable, most devastatingly powerful foe the darkness had ever known", Sidious strongest Sith Lord ever, Windu been described by Lucas to be one of the most powerful jedi ever(almost being equal to Yoda) and able to stand toe to toe with Sidious, Anakin, Obi-wan, Count Dooku/Tyrannus etc etc.

All the strongest Jedi/Sith lived during the Clone wars/OT.

Edited by Girdeux

You can think that if you wish. Except its been written in canon Yoda was the most powerful Jedi ever in the old republic until Luke. Yoda known as "the fiercest, most implacable, most devastatingly powerful foe the darkness had ever known", Sidious strongest Sith Lord ever, Windu been described by Lucas to be one of the most powerful jedi ever(almost being equal to Yoda) and able to stand toe to toe with Sidious, Anakin, Obi-wan, Count Dooku/Tyrannus etc etc.

All the strongest Jedi/Sith lived during the Clone wars/OT.

i could understand yoda but in terms of the sith i really dont think so, not to mention it's referenced that the old republic era sith were nothing compared to the original sith. Id think that exar kun/ajunta pall/naga sadow>palpatine

Then again this is all opnion.

i could understand yoda but in terms of the sith i really dont think so, not to mention it's referenced that the old republic era sith were nothing compared to the original sith. Id think that exar kun/ajunta pall/naga sadow>palpatine

Then again this is all opnion.

Once again, according to cannon, Palpatine was the most powerful Sith ever. His talents, however, were of the subtle variety. He specialized in effecting the mind. Think of Bastille's Battle Meditation in KoToR (2? I get them confused) but in reverse, sowing fear and confusion. Remember what Yoda said about something clouding the force with the Dark Side so they couldn't see what was happening? That was Palpatine's work, solo.

Going by EU, Luke and Anakin both were quite capable of these feats, and did so from time to time.

Don't compare anything in the EU to anything in the movies in terms of scale(EU is anything thats official cannon, but not in the movies). If you want to compare Luke to Revan, or Vader to Malak, or Palpatine to the Sith Emperor, you need to make sure you are comparing the EU versions against each other.

hit the nail on the head here! people please stop comparing the power luke, vader and company had in the origianl trilogy which is over 30 years old now! lucas had no clue at the time of making the OT that his universe would become this living breathing thing with tons of writers, books, games, ect. its sooo stupid to sit here and say oh revan was more powerful than the movie vader and so forth. just think for a second lol

all the EU as awesome as it is, is all well after the movies, SW has evolved greatly overtime. If anything if you want to compare characters powers from the OT to EU characters than you have to delve into the EU and see how powerful Luke becomes and how many other powers vader has, but please stop comparing the crazy stuff reven or anyone else does in a darn videogame to the magic lucas made on screen 3 decades ago, its reallly a stupid argument i would see 6th graders having during recess!