Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

Pyrotech and Advanced Prototype Powertech/Plasmatech and Tactics Vanguard Set Bonus Discussion

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes > Vanguard / Powertech
Pyrotech and Advanced Prototype Powertech/Plasmatech and Tactics Vanguard Set Bonus Discussion
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

EricMusco's Avatar


EricMusco
07.13.2015 , 12:52 PM | #1 Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread. Next  
Hey everyone,

We wanted to take a moment to reach out to the community to collect ideas on set bonuses. We are looking for opinions on current and previous set bonuses as well as concepts for future. This thread will cover Pyrotech and Advanced Prototype Powertechs/Plasmatech and Tactics Vanguards.

Note: Our intent is to have set bonuses not increase DPS by more than 5%. Please keep this in mind when posting your suggestions.

Current Level 60 Set Bonuses (for reference)
  • 2-Piece: Flaming Fist and Magnetic Blast or Shockstrike and Tactical Surge increase damage dealt by 2% for 15 seconds. Cannot occur more than once every 30 seconds.
  • 4-Piece: Flaming Fist and Rocket Punch's heat is reduced by 2 or Shockstrike and Stockstrike energy cells is reduced by 2.
  • 6-Piece: Activating Flame Burst and Magnetic Blast or Ion Pulse and Tactical Surge will grant Combat Tech's Critical Bonus making one of your next Energy Burst and Immolate or Cell Burst and Fire Pulse critically hit. This effect can't occur more than once every minute.
Cheers, all!
The SWTOR Combat Team
Eric Musco | Community Manager
Follow us on Twitter @SWTOR | Like us on Facebook
[Contact Us] [Rules of Conduct] [F.A.Q.]

Zoom_VI's Avatar


Zoom_VI
07.13.2015 , 01:20 PM | #2
Is there are particular reason why you guys are looking to change them?

By the way at the very least can you make sure that setbonus procs don't share the same icons in the future? Having the 2pc setbonus and the 6pc setbonus sharing proc icons, can get annoying fast, especially in PvP.
Crinn

Sanity is for the weak minded.

Haree's Avatar


Haree
07.13.2015 , 02:23 PM | #3
The final set bonus is a large contributor to why we have such high burst damage. I'm curious if this burst damage is what has caused you to not fix the Vanguards terrible survivability in PvP the entire season?

As a primary PvP player I've been dying for my Vanguard to see some survivability buffs, playing ranked and spending almost every game running away from the enemy team while trying to do damage before I die is completely boring for me. I'd like to see the class changes the expansion will bring before judging the set bonuses but survivability needs to come from somewhere because our defensive CDs don't prolong death for us any more than a few more seconds if we are lucky.

I must say that I don't have so much of a problem in normal warzones with the balance of survivability and dps but as ranked PvP is the focus of any competitive PvP player that is where I focus my attention when it comes to balance.

EricMusco's Avatar


EricMusco
07.13.2015 , 02:25 PM | #4 This is the last staff post in this thread.  
Note from the Combat team on this...

Quote: Originally Posted by Zoom_VI View Post
Is there are particular reason why you guys are looking to change them?
With Knights of the Fallen Empire being just around the corner, we just wanted to give you all a chance to let us know if there are any particular set bonuses that you dislike and give you an opportunity to suggest your ideas for improvement. We are not looking to make drastic changes to the set bonuses currently in game. In fact, if the players of a certain class's role are happy with their current set bonuses, then we are happy to leave those set bonuses intact.
Quote: Originally Posted by Zoom_VI View Post
By the way at the very least can you make sure that setbonus procs don't share the same icons in the future? Having the 2pc setbonus and the 6pc setbonus sharing proc icons, can get annoying fast, especially in PvP.
This is excellent feedback (which is what we are hoping to read in these threads), and we will look into making the icons more varied and readable for you in the future. Thanks for bringing this to our attention!
Eric Musco | Community Manager
Follow us on Twitter @SWTOR | Like us on Facebook
[Contact Us] [Rules of Conduct] [F.A.Q.]

Raansu's Avatar


Raansu
07.13.2015 , 02:28 PM | #5
Current set bonus for PT's are fine IMO.

Raansu's Avatar


Raansu
07.13.2015 , 02:32 PM | #6
Quote: Originally Posted by Haree View Post
The final set bonus is a large contributor to why we have such high burst damage. I'm curious if this burst damage is what has caused you to not fix the Vanguards terrible survivability in PvP the entire season?

As a primary PvP player I've been dying for my Vanguard to see some survivability buffs, playing ranked and spending almost every game running away from the enemy team while trying to do damage before I die is completely boring for me. I'd like to see the class changes the expansion will bring before judging the set bonuses but survivability needs to come from somewhere because our defensive CDs don't prolong death for us any more than a few more seconds if we are lucky.

I must say that I don't have so much of a problem in normal warzones with the balance of survivability and dps but as ranked PvP is the focus of any competitive PvP player that is where I focus my attention when it comes to balance.
Its only like that in solo ranked.....PT's should not get survival buffs based around that flawed queue system. With that said, PT's are a hybrid. They are supposed to spend a lot of time in between range and melee which is why they have so many tools that can be used to kite quite well. I miss 2.10 survivability and would trade the shield CD reduction for kolto and would love to have flares returned but overall they have good tools and strong burst. Giving them anymore survivability would be really bad. I think where they stand now in terms of pvp is fine for AP. I'd like to see the current pyro get some buffs though as they are terrible in both pvp and pve.

DarkSaberMaster's Avatar


DarkSaberMaster
07.13.2015 , 02:37 PM | #7
Quote: Originally Posted by Raansu View Post
Current set bonus for PT's are fine IMO.
I concur with this sentiment as an AP PT.
Referral link to claim your new or returning player rewards.
Ezs'ra: Sith Mara
Harbinger

TACeMossie's Avatar


TACeMossie
07.13.2015 , 02:42 PM | #8
Honestly, I don't like having the set bonus tied to some of the resource management. Other than that, the current bonus's are fine.

As such, I'd go:

Stockstrike + Rocket Puch - energy/heat cost reduced by 2 in the Tactics/AP discipline path (to avoid tanks getting the 13 energy SS/RP
Shockstrike/Flaming Fist - base energy cost reduced to 13

4-piece Combat Tech's bonus:
Altered to the old 2-piece of -15 sec CD on Battle Focus and Explosive Fuel

Basically, I'd like to see Shoulder Cannon and Battle Focus/Explosive Fuel synched up better, which the old set bonus used to do
Kwerty/Mossie

Once a guy who wrote guides, now just a guy getting back in
Vanguards/Powertechs 4 lyf

royhenderson's Avatar


royhenderson
07.13.2015 , 03:25 PM | #9
2pc - fine

4pc - reduces the cost of stockstrike by 5 not 2.

6pc piece - fine as is.

iprice's Avatar


iprice
07.13.2015 , 05:00 PM | #10
Something I really dislike about the setbonuses currently is there really isn't much diversity in them. Dps gets x% damage for using x ability and x ability makes x ability crit it made it much less individualized per class and just all around boring. And leave very little impact on classes other than you do x% less damage during a fight.