"Tab" targeting. A nightmare.

Verill

Simply saying, Tab targeting is horrible. Completely broken.

Please make it more intelligent by:

Rotating targets according to the char's current 90% vision cone.

Rotating targets according to distance.

Not just randomly in a way that makes us really... really angry.

Support this thread and hopefully we will get some developer think he is up for the task of programming this.

Updated:

The good (or sith evil) players on this thread made nice suggestions which I think could be summed up to these recommendations.

1. Target enemy center screen - Cycles through enemies in 45 degree cone centered by your screen (not by where the toon is looking) and according to distance.

2. Target friendly center screen - Cycles through friendly in 45 degree cone centered by your screen (not by where the toon is looking) and according to distance.

Please make more comments and suggestions, also about this update.

Updated:

1. Make targeting cycle "reset" after not tabbing for more than X seconds. (Hint: A menu slider for X)

2. Cycle will always go from nearest to farthest

This is of course on top the recommendations from last update.

Edited by Verill

• Replies 828
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Totally agreed.

In voidstar as a defender, I stand in front of the enemy who tries to plant the bomb, I needed to press tab 3-4 times before I target him. I thought it targets the closer enemy and I was doing something wrong but it seems it's not like that.

Also, when I'm on the move (pressing "w") won't change the target, no matter how many times I press tab. I have to stop moving or left click the enemy...

Amen. I've tried changing it from "next target" to "nearest target" and it's just as bad. It literally just takes the nearest target, even if it's behind you. It's really annoying coming from the "other MMO" where tab-targeting was pretty intuitive. You could point yourself at the target you wanted and press tab once maybe twice and get there.

Simply saying, Tab targeting is horrible. Completely broken.

Please make it more intelligent by:

Rotating targets according to the char's current 90% vision cone.

Rotating targets according to distance.

Not just randomly in a way that makes us really... really angry.

Support this thread and hopefully we will get some developer think he is up for the task of programming this.

Doesn't it already only let you tab target what you can see on the screen? Pretty sure if i see a group of mobs, rotate my camera and see a lone patrol tab targeting only gets the lone mob..

as far as distance, there is an option in the settings to bind a key for target nearest.

Regarding the issue of seemingly random targeting, i think it's due to movement. I recall something similar happening in Warhammer Online.. if you (or hte targets) moved at all, then the tab-targeting calculations began from scratch again.. could be something similar happening here. This would be why it works well in PvE and less so in PvP, where there is a lot more movement.

Doesn't it already only let you tab target what you can see on the screen? Pretty sure if i see a group of mobs, rotate my camera and see a lone patrol tab targeting only gets the lone mob..

as far as distance, there is an option in the settings to bind a key for target nearest.

Regarding the issue of seemingly random targeting, i think it's due to movement. I recall something similar happening in Warhammer Online.. if you (or hte targets) moved at all, then the tab-targeting calculations began from scratch again.. could be something similar happening here. This would be why it works well in PvE and less so in PvP, where there is a lot more movement.

I assume there is a "Tab Targeting Algorithm" that is supposed to have some kind of logic. But every single player that PvP a lot knows what I'm talking about here. Quickly it becomes just "Random" targeting.

I have next enemy target bound and if it doesn't land on the person I want I hit it again. It doesn't seem to hinder me too much. there is some delay, because there may be 5 targets around me and my "next target" button isn't able to use psychic powers to guess who i want targetted.

much better than clicking on someone with a mouse.

is it a nightmare? not sure, I usually wake up surprised and out of breath from a nightmare, a wrong tab target usually requires another button push. hmmm, you must have really mild nightmares...

I have next enemy target bound and if it doesn't land on the person I want I hit it again. It doesn't seem to hinder me too much. there is some delay, because there may be 5 targets around me and my "next target" button isn't able to use psychic powers to guess who i want targetted.

much better than clicking on someone with a mouse.

is it a nightmare? not sure, I usually wake up surprised and out of breath from a nightmare, a wrong tab target usually requires another button push. hmmm, you must have really mild nightmares...

Do you do most of your pvp as ranged or melee ?

IIRC, it was mentioned that one of the main reasons tab-targeting feels so busted is that the 'cycle' is based on the direction your character's head is facing, not where your camera is pointing.

So if the previous person you targeted is now behind you, causing your character's head to look like it's trying to recreate a scene from The Exorcist, good luck trying to tab to the person in front of you.