New Ability Bar Cooldown effect

Sammojo

While I appreciate the attempt to make it more obvious which spells were on cooldown, I feel the new effects are just making it harder to see which abilities are available. The flashing and washout effects obscure the visibility of the abilities, and the flashing occurs after it has come off cooldown (making it difficult to react quickly as you cannot quite tell if it is available or just part of the GCD flashing).

All that was needed was to add a dark blue or reddish tinge to the abilities which were on cooldown, as the old GCD effect was sufficient and didn't obscure vision.

Is anyone else not liking the new effect?

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hello everyone,

We have recreated this thread because the previous version has exceeded our post threshold of 1,000 posts. Please continue to use this thread for any discussion related to the latest changes to the Ability Bar cool down.

Important Information:

Original Post

Hi folks,

Thanks very much for the feedback on this. We've sent this up internally to investigate and we will update as soon as we have more information for you. Thank you for your patience.

A reminder that regardless of the topic, it is part of our Rules of Conduct that:

• Never insult another member of the community.
  • Respect other community members, whether they agree with you or not.
  • Flag, don't fight. Use the "flag" feature to report posts to our Community Team if you see someone breaking the rules – don't respond to them!
  • Don't make spam posts like "first," "in before the lock," or "bump."
  • Make constructive, on-topic posts that add to the discussion.

Thank you for understanding.

Edited by Noviru

Clearly the community has mixed feelings on which hotbar type they prefer.

I know 2 things:

First - The original hotbar type was the best. Sure some like the newer stuff yet, but I don't think anyone threatened to quit in beta because of getting headaches etc. It wasn't broke, so it didn't need to be fixed.

Second - Player choice is the ultimate answer here. Give us the OPTION to choose which hotbar graphics we want. And if giving us this option is going to take considerable time, then I urge you to immediatley set it back to what it was originally in the meantime.

I honestly cannot STAND to even log in anymore with the disco-Strobe light effects going on with my screen. If you don't change it back, and fast, I'm afraid you'll lose a TON of subscribers.

Add me to the list of players who abhor the new gcd display. Not only does it make playing my Jedi knight or Sith warrior a lot more difficult, its also giving me splitting headaches. It's as bad as fps for me. Won't be playing again until its changed.

BTW: a comment from a CSR about the issue might be in order since its been quite some time since anyone had a thing to say.

Edited by Keta

Can't play - gives me a headache, and if I keep playing, it gives me nausea-- all the flashing and strobe-light action from the GCD/ability bars.

Please can you add an option so we can change this or revert it back to what it was yesterday?

Thanks

Can't say it's terrible, can't say it's great either.... not a big fan of the "flash". I would much prefer more informational details on the cooldown like minutes or seconds left and have them greyed out when un-available. Of course the ultimate goal should be a totally customizable UI like WoW has had for years.

I literally logged in for about 10 minutes, and logged back out.

How that ever made it to the live servers is baffling.

I try and support bioware as much as I can, but that attempt to adjust the GCD display is just piss-pore, plain and simple.

Typical, first bit of action we see is to close a thread at a 1000 posts. With some hopes that it dies I bet.

How about a status report on the issue we have raised in the last 1000 posts? Some sort of feedback? How about a podcast from the team? How about some customer support? It isn't hard. Just takes some effort.

Actually, I prefer this version to the old version. However since many seem to disagree with me, then my vote would be a way to switch between the two depending on personal preference. I think that would work for most people.

What you're saying is really an argument for a modifiable UI, at least for certain elements. For some of us, this change goes beyond whether or not we like it -- its a health issue for otherwise healthy players. What's happening is a well documented form of motion sickness. In the mean time something needs to be done quickly otherwise a lot of us will just unsub and get out of the habit of playing an otherwise decent game.

Typical, first bit of action we see is to close a thread at a 1000 posts. With some hopes that it dies I bet.

How about a status report on the issue we have raised in the last 1000 posts? Some sort of feedback? How about a podcast from the team? How about some customer support? It isn't hard. Just takes some effort.

Exactly this ^