Much faster speeders.

BurnedRemains

Usain Bolt can only run that speed for short bursts. Try running at that speed for several miles.

Your car tops out at higher speeds but you also have to be more careful on how you navigate. One wrong turn and your dead. They could change that as well. Careful what you wish for :D

You can pretty easily bike (pedal bike that is) at that speed indefinately though.

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The mounts in WoW are about three times faster, so clearly IT IS possible to make traveling significantly faster in a massive detailed MMO like this.

Sorry to nitpick.... but ...... Not on the ground, only in the air. There are no air mounts in this game at this time. IF air mounts ever come, then would be a good time to boost speed to 300% on air travel.

A more valid complaint about mount speeds in this game would be along the lines of 90/100/110 diminishing returns on mount speeds. The difference between 90 and 110 is small, yet the cost is very large (unless you have the referral speeder, and legacy perk and are speeding at 110 at level 10).

Speed of mounts in WoW should have no bearing on the mounts in SWTOR. Their MMO is fantasy/sowrd-and-sorcery. Our mounts in SWTOR have frakking jets on them!

Regardless of the numbers, 110% just feels silly slow at max camera distance. I go to Hoth and I feel like i left a parking brake on. Furthermore, as it is, each tier of speeder piloting is barely noticable as faster than the others.

As for the whole expansion thing, I would assume we might get flying mounts in some future expansion, but those don't have to go faster than Tier 3 ground speeders. I would much prefer that current Tier 3 not suffer because we might get faster or flying mounts later

On the other hand, when we (hopefully soon) get Beast type mounts (Tauntaun, Dewback, etc) I would not expect those to be as fast as a hovering jet. I would rather make Tier 3 much faster, and make beast mounts Tier 1 or 2 (if we want to have some basis in reality).

I don't agree though that systems can't handle the faster speeds. The Taxi speeders go much faster, and the systems handle those just fine. If they had too, we could add motion blur or less detail at speed. That's pretty much how the human brain handles moving objects anyway.

28mph to me is just rediculously slow for a hovering jet. By the way I think it's more like 13mph + 110% (i.e. 110% faster) = 27.3 but anyway...

300% faster seems like a decent number, and works out to 52mph

so I'd suggest:

Tier 1 speeder piloting = 90% faster = 24.7mph

Tier 2 speeder piloting = 150% faster = 32.5moh

Tier 3 speeder piloting = 300% faster = 52mph

-OR-

each new tier is 50% faster than the last:

Tier 1 = 100% faster than Sprint = 26mph

Tier 2 = 50% faster than tier 1 = 39mph

Tier 3 = 50% faster than tier 2= 58.5mph

just... let me finally take that parking brake off...

Edited by Daefaroth

Sorry to nitpick.... but ...... Not on the ground, only in the air. There are no air mounts in this game at this time. IF air mounts ever come, then would be a good time to boost speed to 300% on air travel.

A more valid complaint about mount speeds in this game would be along the lines of 90/100/110 diminishing returns on mount speeds. The difference between 90 and 110 is small, yet the cost is very large (unless you have the referral speeder, and legacy perk and are speeding at 110 at level 10).

To nitpick, none of the mounts in SWTOR are on the ground, they all fly, they just fly 0.5 m of the ground. :)

Speeders are a luxury anyway, you can run anywhere and have a pretty well laid out shuttle system so they're not necessary. And tbh, as small as most of the planets are with all the narrow paths you spend half yoru time on a truly fast speeder getting stuck on terrain.

This is not SWG, there's just now great open expanses where have a hugely fast speeder is necessary. It's not lke your going roll out of the closest shuttle port and still have to drive at top speed for 5+ minutes to get to boss spawn or bunker full of goodies. There's not one big open expanse to drive on in this whole game, it's all paths and mobs everywhere. Sad but true fact.

Before somebody comes out with "what about the dune sea?" you should ask yourself how many times you actually went the whole way across the dune sea non-stop. Maybe twice... once to get on the jawa baloon and once to hatch your orokeet egg, the rest was just following the progression from one mob spawn to the next. I can't even start to count how many hundreds of times I drove across tatooine in SWG non-stop... and you didn't want to do that on foot.

Edited by bahdasz

Speeders are a luxury anyway, you can run anywhere and have a pretty well laid out shuttle system so they're not necessary. And tbh, as small as most of the planets are with all the narrow paths you spend half yoru time on a truly fast speeder getting stuck on terrain.

This is not SWG, there's just now great open expanses where have a hugely fast speeder is necessary. It's not lke your going roll out of the closest shuttle port and still have to drive at top speed for 5+ minutes to get to boss spawn or bunker full of goodies. There's not one big open expanse to drive on in this whole game, it's all paths and mobs everywhere. Sad but true fact.

Before somebody comes out with "what about the dune sea?" you should ask yourself how many times you actually went the whole way across the dune sea non-stop. Maybe twice... once to get on the jawa baloon and once to hatch your orokeet egg, the rest was just following the progression from one mob spawn to the next. I can't even start to count how many hundreds of times I drove across tatooine in SWG non-stop... and you didn't want to do that on foot.

I dunno I wouldn't say no to a speeder at least 50% faster than the current fastest. Yeah maybe 300% would be problematic though.

Obviously not. These speeders are super slow. I'm thinking 200-300% would be great.

Well, Bioware listened to you and they now implemented the super-fast-500%-speed-bug so you can run with the ball to the finish line in Huttball in no time even without a speeder!

honestly i would make a few changes to the mounts...

first i would probably lower the tier 1 speed by 10-20%

but i would then turn around and up the tier 3 speed by however much i took off tier 1 (up to 150%)

but the big change i would make would be to set the speeders speed based off of trained level meaning if you love your digital deluxe or above free tier 1 speeder's looks you can keep it an also keep going at max speed.

i would like the point out that wow's max speed on the ground is 100% and i think that is something to do with load speeds etc but if we are safe and stable at current speeds a small surely with a little optimization that must have happened since release BW could fan the speeder levels out a bit to make it so we at least feel like we are getting our moneys worth out of each rank...

and personally i have to agree 10% per paid increase feels a little short... even if bw took 10-20% off the first speeders a 20-30% increase each rank would feel much better.

According to the Star Wars Wiki, Imperial Speeder bikes, like the ones we are familiar with from RotJ, travel between 360-500km/h. Faster than a F1 car, and comparable to most domestic Jet planes.

As much as I'd like to move around the game faster from time to time, I don't want to have to worry about becoming a big splat against a wall somewhere either... :)

If I were designing mounts, I would have those custom crafted speeders orange and moddable, so the potential to make your speeder >110% could be achieved similar to how augments work. Like upgrading your ship but instead for speeders. You could also reverse engineer certain speeders for a chance to get the schematic to create an orange version of that speeder for a sizeable amount of materials. Edited by Tordos

They are all ground effect vehicles, based on hover technology. No flying, remains.... no flying.

No they are repulsorlift vehicles, which is flying using anti-gravity lift rather than wing base pressure differential based lift.

Ground effect vehicles in real life also fly, but they don't do it in the same way as Star Wars speeders, because they use the "ground effect" to reduce drag-related lift from their wings (Star Wars speeders don't have any wing related drag because they gain their "lift" from repulsor technology not wings).

Interestingly there is no difference in Star Wars between "ground" speeder and "flying" speeder (such as Luke uses to attack AT AT walkers) other than the size and power of their repulsorlift (resulting in a higher potential altitude).

But anyway, flying is flying. :csw_yoda:

Edited by Goretzu

The game can barely draw the game's highly detailed worlds fast enough for the speeders we have now. There's no way they can make them much faster without you riding off into the matrix whenever you speed off on one.

The high-speed Corellian trams prove this statement false.

My 2c is that they keep speeders slow so that they can pace the upcoming flyable spacecraft to a relative velocity.

I think the speed is just fine. If I need to go far its either taxi or quick travel. 110% is fine just to get you here and there.

You should of been in SWG the first week, we had to run everywhere, no transport for miles. It was a godsend when mounts hit!

THIS ^^^

Trying having to run to Jabba's Palace and back from Bestine just to get quests done. Yeah, stop complaining. Back in our day...

But seriously...they could be a LITTLE faster...

if i were designing mounts, i would have those custom crafted speeders orange and moddable, so the potential to make your speeder >110% could be achieved similar to how augments work. Like upgrading your ship but instead for speeders. You could also reverse engineer certain speeders for a chance to get the schematic to create an orange version of that speeder for a sizeable amount of materials.

this :)