Undermanning hardmodes

I'm curious about the experiences of other players with beating flashpoints with fewer than four players. (That is, running with at least one companion out.) I've beaten Battle of Ilum HM like this before, and it was a bit of a rush and required some weird tactics on the final boss (use of Unity / Heroic moment, for example) - oh, and skipping boss encounters where possible.

I think it's a neat challenge, and I'm wondering about other flashpoints where this might be feasible. Anything with a stay-out-of-the-fire mechanic would probably kill the companion quickly, so Black Talon probably wouldn't work, for example.

Black Talon does work, you just have to be smart about the companions actions.

If the fire boss drops a fire bomb on them, just simply make sure you aren't standing near it and put your companion on passive. They run back to you/out of the fire and then you just press the passive button again to make them resume attacking.

For the last boss, similar thing, just chuck them on passive as your are running away from the pull in.

Me and a friend are running through them now as a 2 man group. He is a DPS Jugg, using Broonmark as a Tank, and I am a Op Healer, using a 1600 cunning (lol) Temple as a DPS.

just use DPS companions and you should be able to do most, if not all, of the tier 1 flashpoints.

BT is easy beyond all belief, not surprised second poster cleared it. The two actually running should be a healer and tank though, the companions are crap at both jobs, and the companion tank has god awful mitigation.

I've done Kaon HM with a tank and myself as DPS with 2 healers comps.

I play a sentinel dps and use scourage (in all columi gear) to tank and my friend plays a sage healer with a equally geared nadia? dps.

We've 2 man taral v, d7, battle of ilum and malestrom prison, all hms.

it's very doable and fun.

There is a thread dedicated to it, well hidden now but still.

Many people have 2-man everything but LI HM. That is very fun, even though fun have been spoiled with the recent heavy nerfs.

I suggest you have a look on it : http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=463772

2-manning is my favourite activity in this game along with harder OPS, and we've been running all of them at the exception of LI HM of course.

It requires a lot of organization and 2 good players. Some fights were very fun back in the day, such as Iron Fist HM or Bulwark. As they have been nerfed, it's less fun but well...

Edited by Nolenthar

Actually finished a pretty impressive one the other day. It was the False Emperor hard mode. There were three of us, and out of the three, two of us were undergeared (Me as healer and another dps in tionese/regular gear), and the one other dps was well geared (Rakata/columi/maybe some blackhole).

Anyway, when we first went in, we also had a 4th, an undergeared tank, who died way too fast, so he left. Instead of leaving, the well geared dps decides to bring out his well geared tank companion. I have no idea how we beat it, but we did! It was pretty funny when it came to the companions turn to duel Malgus one on one as well. It would say, and I forget the exact words but something like "Malgus is filling head with doubt". Lol normally it says "Malgus is filling mavsynchroid's head with doubt" or something like that, but it didn't even put in the companions name.

It was pretty impressive overall!! :)

If you're Imperial I'd suggest starting out with 2-Manning HM BT. If you're companion gear isn't good enough - i.e Yadira enrages, then maybe 3 man it until your companions are a bit better.

That being said, I've never heard of any HMs being soloed. I'm curious if anyone has even come close.:rak_02:

That being said, I've never heard of any HMs being soloed. I'm curious if anyone has even come close.:rak_02:

I have soloed T5 HM on my commando (columi and rakata mix with a columi geared healer companion). I did skip all that I could though (which in T5 is most of the instance).

If you're Imperial I'd suggest starting out with 2-Manning HM BT. If you're companion gear isn't good enough - i.e Yadira enrages, then maybe 3 man it until your companions are a bit better.

i have heard of a Marauder being able to solo BT

I love tanking HMs and the black hole daily heroic.

Oh, i'm a merc, and i heal or DPS and use Blizz to tank. He's full rakata, so i'm pretty sure he's better geared than most of the pug tanks i could find. Usually I'll grab a healer or DPS who isn't dumb, use CC generously, and constantly keep control of Blizz (moving him around, swapping targets, etc).

If I have a tank buddy online, i'll use Torian (also full rakata).

I love the challenge of it...beats the hell out of watching a movie while spamming green bullets at the tank as we steamroll through t1 HMs