I'm legacy level 30 - why do I have to pay millions of credits to unlock stuff?

Kheg

Seriously, I know - I have no life. I play the game, I enjoy the game. I remember when legacies were first announced it was said "Oh hey! You'll be able to unlock them with either credits or legacy experience!" That's fine, and there's a whole what... maybe 3 or so legacy perks that are essentially useless that fall under that category?

1.3 comes along, and again, more legacy fluff comes along, and again I'd have to shell out a bazillion credits if I want to tinker with the legacy perks. Except this time, it's even worse because they're per character.

I know credits aren't terribly hard to come by in the game, but come on! The legacy perks cap out at level 25. I'm sure more will be added later. I'm LL30 and the XP just keeps on piling up as I keep throwing my cash at Bioware - and yet you guys keep putting credit sink barriers with ridiculous numbers up? Really?

At least start giving legacy unlocks after LL25 to give a discount on legacy perk prices for us losers with no life that support your game!

Edited by Kheg

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have suggested and advocated for the "sliding" price scale.

As Legacy Level increases Prices for unlocks decrease.

That should be the reward for "grinding legacy and alts".

Agree. As it is, other than minimal required legacy level...legacy level gain is pointless. I hit 40, big deal. Means nothing currently.

No, it should be legacy wide, and possibly even more expensive....

Interesting. I actually really like this idea.

Actually I have always thought the way they have done the legacy items made no sense.

You have to get to a set legacy level and then buy it to?

It would make more sense for this to happen:

You reach a certain legacy level and you can unlock that legacy item (no cost) or

If you want you can purchase it if you have not reached that legacy level.

At least it makes more sense to me this way.

Should not require both a legacy level and then credits.

i, too, am disappointed that the legacy system is not much more than a family tree (that's invisible to everyone but you, so why bother?) and a never ending series of credit sinks. but, i guess that's to be expected, as the devs have even said they don't think there are enough credit sinks in a game that charges you to change your pants. :rak_confused:

sure credits are easy to get in this game, if you don't mind wasting your time grinding for them. they're not actually very easy to get if you're raiding, as even a successful and wipeless run through any of the current ops will put you at a net loss of credits after repairing, and you sure as heck aren't gonna have anything to sell from there.

sadly, i think this is going to be the state of the game for a long time. enough people made way too many credits early on from slicing and exploits that it seems almost all of the development effort has gone into finding ways to take that extra currency out of the game.

Edited by codyr

No, it should be legacy wide, and possibly even more expensive....

These are basically opposite ends of the same stick, either would help.

It seems the developers carried over from WAR are bringing their pointless, and indeed contradictory, cash sinks with them. I'm sure that the players realize that cash sinks are a necessary evil, but there comes a time when having cash sinks for the sake of it actively interferes with the intent of the systems implemented.

For WAR, it was the keep system - if you wanted to claim a keep, your guild coffers better be bulging with months worth of farming if you wanted to keep it for more than an hour or two. For whatever reason, instead of rewarding your guild for claiming a keep, they actively punished - even prevented - for laying the claim. They decided since that one uber-guild on that one server with the people that do nothing but play and farm had too much gold, they had to institute a cash sink that would deflate their coffers.

You cannot design cash sinks successfully around the top 0.1%.

For SW:TOR, it's the legacy system. It's supposed to be a way to reward a player with a few conveniences if they are actively playing the game. Unfortunately, there is no reward to be found. In fact, by the time you farm enough credits to unlock these features over the course of regular play, you've probably doubled the requisite legacy level for said reward. Having these double-requirements is absolutely pointless, and borderline insulting to the players that wish to make use of these unlocks. "I see you've finally achieved legacy level 15! Congratulations! Instead of rewarding you outright, we ask that you fork over a few million credits before you enjoy this minor perk!"

If the legacy system did not exist and they were asking that much for these perks, fine. That's fair. But claiming that the legacy system rewards you for playing the game simply isn't true.

The whole SWTOR economy is based on money sink. You are supposed to grind dailies, to spend money on various money sink (legacy, mod swapping, augmentation...). It's not healthy at all.

The whole SWTOR economy is based on money sink. You are supposed to grind dailies, to spend money on various money sink (legacy, mod swapping, augmentation...). It's not healthy at all.

Which is counter to BW's claim that this is an "alt" grind game. If you are spending time grinding alts you are not necessarily spending time on the daily tredmill. The reward for grinding alts seems to be "legacy level" which currently has no bennifit other than "unlocking" the "privilage" to throw my cash away.

Actually I have always thought the way they have done the legacy items made no sense.

You have to get to a set legacy level and then buy it to?

It would make more sense for this to happen:

You reach a certain legacy level and you can unlock that legacy item (no cost) or

If you want you can purchase it if you have not reached that legacy level.

At least it makes more sense to me this way.

Should not require both a legacy level and then credits.

I agree with this, along with the posters above. It should be an either-or option for all except probably character perks.

I don't think that most of you understand the intent of the legacy system.

It isn't intended to be there so that we can all unlock the new legacy perks on day one when the next set of perks is introduced.

It is intended to keep you busy between warzones and operations, because the only thing they can think of to keep us engaged is to herd us onto Ilum, Belsavis, and Corellia. There is really no option of activities to take part in if you actually want to advance your legacy and continue to improve your character.

I don't care about the legacy perks myself, so I just grind the dailies to buy augments for my gear, which I am prevented from attaining because I cannot both PvP (for gear) and make money (daily quests) at the same time. It's a nice little catch 22, their economy amounts to just another gating mechanic, and it's basically the only thing this game has going for it. As long as they keep pushing out legacy perks, we always technically have more "content" to grind, and since we're always complaining about this game's lack of content, Legacy is a cheap, quick, and easy way for them to feel like they are giving us "new" content regularly.

I could not agree more, the current prices are ridiculous. I'm supporting multiple alts with my 50, playing the game the way they wanted us to play and yet I simply do not have the funds to put down 2 million credits for a rocket perk. My legacy level is 31! I could afford 200k without my alts suffering too much, but 2 million is a wee bit much!

I think we are all painfully aware of what the "legacy system" is for. Credit sink for credit sink's sake. There is no correlation to the bennefit gained from legacy level increase. There are only stepped "privilages" to spend more money at certain arbitrary periods depending on legacy level.

That is why I advocate the sliding price scale: As Legacy increases then price decreases.

Edited by Urael

It isn't intended to be there so that we can all unlock the new legacy perks on day one when the next set of perks is introduced.

It is intended to keep you busy between warzones and operations, because the only thing they can think of to keep us engaged is to herd us onto Ilum, Belsavis, and Corellia. There is really no option of activities to take part in if you actually want to advance your legacy and continue to improve your character.

I don't care about the legacy perks myself, so I just grind the dailies to buy augments for my gear, which I am prevented from attaining because I cannot both PvP (for gear) and make money (daily quests) at the same time. It's a nice little catch 22, their economy amounts to just another gating mechanic, and it's basically the only thing this game has going for it. As long as they keep pushing out legacy perks, we always technically have more "content" to grind, and since we're always complaining about this game's lack of content, Legacy is a cheap, quick, and easy way for them to feel like they are giving us "new" content regularly.

indeed. they often called 1.3 "content-light" but in fact it's "contentless". allowing me to grind out credits through the same dailies so i can afford to buy a repair droid is not content, it's retention. i always just assumed the economy was broken, but i never considered that it was intended all along to act as a gate to the actual content.

If the legacy system did not exist and they were asking that much for these perks, fine. That's fair. But claiming that the legacy system rewards you for playing the game simply isn't true.

^QFT

I agree completely with this statement.

Because the more things cost the more you play. The more you play, the more you develop a habit. Virtually everything in the game has had a cost tacked onto it in order to facilitate this. It's skinner box 101, really.

Because the more things cost the more you play. The more you play, the more you develop a habit. Virtually everything in the game has had a cost tacked onto it in order to facilitate this. It's skinner box 101, really.

Accept in this case there is a definate "out" of the skinner box that is SWTOR. Once you see all the story quests for each class (so 8 times thru) you can say you "beat" the game. The rest of the game is really no different than any other theme park MMORPG on the market. This will prolly be the fate of this game for me. Imma only pressin the button until I get all 8 class quest storylines done unless something changes for the better. Legacy doesn't increase the habit. It actually has no effect.

This is one of the main reasons that I don't use the legacy perks. There's just not one chance in hell that I'm shelling out that kind of money for these medioker perks. Like others have said, what's the point of gaining legacy levels if the levels mean nothing and you still have to shell out millions of credits to do anything?

They are charging stupendous rates, as if they don't want people to use them. Well, OK, I won't.

Imagine how those of us who are nearing the Legacy level cap of 50 feel.

Currenly 49.

I'm legacy lvl 50. I've check, and the max legacy lvl you need is 25 (for the ship GTN). I've only unlocked the social X emote, and I was disappointed. 350K credit for an useless emote I will not use anymore.

I unlocked character perk legacy of crafting for most of my char, since it cost roughly the same than we earn once we reach lvl 50 with the pvp quest for a recruit gear. And the extra slicing purple they bring me to craft augmentations makes a lot of money currently.

Everything else is overpriced and/or useless. 5mil a ship gtn, while I can have access to a GTN and everything else on the fleet. 2mil for the jetpack is completely overpriced. I can buy them all. But I won't. Your money sink fail on me. I keep my 20mil for useful stuff.