How does Slicing fare in these days?

Rainysun

Hey guys,

As the title says, I want to know how good is Slicing? I want to take Biochemistry / Bioanalysis and Slicing (to earn some cash) for my new Imperial Agent. But can I depend on Slicing to earn me some credits?

Thanks for the answers in advance

Very easy to earn cash with slicing while leveling. Skip doing the missions. Pick up all the lockboxes you find while leveling, put the items you get from the boxes on the GTN, profit.

Edit: On my main when I leveled I planned on doing biochem. However as I was leveling I did slicing, bioanalysis and diplomacy. By the time I was 50 I had a nice stockpile of cash and materials and was able to level biochem in an afternoon, without having to buy a single item off the GTN. On my alt right now I have slicing while leveling cybertech/scavenging. So far it's working out nicely.

Edited by Akella

It works as gathering skill. Going around picking up safes for free credits.

Whether it works as mission skill is still up for debate, some people say they make a profit off of it (calculating per hour), but a great many others say they make a lose on missions (myself I seemed to be making a small lose -maybe about 10 credits per mission-).

The missions were nerfed by 70%.

Edited by AngelousWang

Slicing is easy and painless to level, as it pays for itself. It's not as good at earning credits at 400 as some of the other professions, but it's not bad.

As a gathering skill, it's pretty nice. All the gathering skills are "FREE CREDITS", as everyone likes to say, but with Slicing you don't have to drop by the GTM to convert them. Some planets are littered with Slicing nodes, while on others they'll be few and far between.

At 400 Slicing, you can forget about the lock-boxes from the missions. You'll see some big crits for 7k+, but you'll also see a lot of missions come back in the negative. The average profit from Slicing missions in terms of lock-boxes is pretty small. If that were all Slicing had going for it, I'd drop it tomorrow. However, the MAIN reason you'll be running Slicing missions is the mission unlock items you'll get from a crit.

Mostly you'll see Investigation and Diplomacy, which are only worth 2-5k on my server for a level 340. Much more rare are the other missions, though when one does turn up, you're talking about 10-30k on the GTN. If you're really lucky, you might get a very rare level 240 Slicing mission unlock, which usually returns a purple +28 augment. If it's +presence, then you bow your head and cry, but if it's a main stat, like Aim or Str, then you can probably get 50-100k for it. That takes a lot of luck, though, and does not happen often.

All told, Slicing generates a nice, steady income. The best part is that there is very little investment, so it's a good complimentary skill. You won't pull in crazy amounts like some of the other skills, but you won't have to sink big credits into it to see a return, either.

While the profit margin on missions isn't as high as it was before, you can still make something off it. The kicker is the mission items.

On my main I have Biochem / Bioanalysis / Slicing, and on all of the others they're x / x / Slicing. Reason for this is while out and about leveling or doing whatever, I can essentially get free money from safes. Plus, I'm constantly running missions for TH or Diplomacy unlockables.

Its still very profitable. Boxes all over while leveling and running high level missions gets you epic crafting missions and schmatics which sell pretty well. Although on high level missions you might break even or loss 100 per, you get the missions/schematics often even to make a very good profit.

I make hundreds of thousands a day running missions. Underworld Trading and Treasure hunting missions self for upwards of 20k, the rest for around 15k. Except for investigation, those are dirt cheap for some reason. Know what missions to run and milk the hell out of them and its still a huge money maker.

Hey guys,

As the title says, I want to know how good is Slicing? I want to take Biochemistry / Bioanalysis and Slicing (to earn some cash) for my new Imperial Agent. But can I depend on Slicing to earn me some credits?

Thanks for the answers in advance

I just did this on an alt.

You only really need to level up Biochem through Bioanalysis. You won't be able to make all the adrenals, and you don't need to do it anyway, at least not until you've maxed it out.

As for slicing itself, don't run missions. Just pick up every single lockbox you can find out in the open. As an illustration of how well it works, while mobs are dropping 10-20 credits each or so, you're finding lockboxes containing 90-100 credits. It's not really gamebreaking or anything, but it's a good bit of extra income.

I make hundreds of thousands a day running missions. Underworld Trading and Treasure hunting missions self for upwards of 20k, the rest for around 15k. Except for investigation, those are dirt cheap for some reason. Know what missions to run and milk the hell out of them and its still a huge money maker.

It's because Armstech is fairly broken. No schematics, etc. You can't sell them on my server. Most other crew skills have about 1-2 pages of purple missions, investigation on the other hand has about 20 pages of 340 missions all at list price and they don't sell. I feel like vendoring them because I have about 30+, but I am holding them for the moment incase Arms get's a buff.

^ This. Once I figured this out I was seeing dollar signs. Currently have 1.9m at lvl 38. Cant wait til 50 to see how high my credits get!

Just to clarify about the Slicing missions - it is possible to go through many missions where you only get credits amounting to less than it cost to go on the mission in the first place. Once in a while you will get a nice surprise in the form of a Mission Discovery or a Schematic but they are few and far between (unless you are doing missions that are grey to you).

On the other hand, picking up slicing nodes while adventuring is PURE profit.

If you are short on credits (like just starting out), don't bother with the missions.

Slicing is great for getting your bankroll, well, rolling. I went Bio/Bio/Slicing while leveling up to 35, then dropped Slicing in favor of Diplomacy when the price of purples got too outrageous.

You won't be rolling in money the way you did pre-balance, but you'll have all the money you need and then some. Forget what people are saying, do the missions, just know the information ahead of time:

1) Run moderates.

2) Make sure you have good Affection to reduce the time and increase the level of the lockbox.

3) Once you get access to Spy Droids and Missing Probes, stop running other stuff until you're ready to log off. That area is the optimal income per minute, anything above that will net you higher profits, but takes longer to get, thus lowering your income per minute. However, since you're not able to send people out while you're offline the per minute part of the equation is dropped when you log off and all you care about is net profit.

For whatever craft you pick, get the blue/purple materials off the Galactic Market. I only dropped Slicing once I saw people charging 4k for Bioelectric Whatevers. No way I was paying that outrageous amount when I could just get it myself.

Just to clarify about the Slicing missions - it is possible to go through many missions where you only get credits amounting to less than it cost to go on the mission in the first place. Once in a while you will get a nice surprise in the form of a Mission Discovery or a Schematic but they are few and far between (unless you are doing missions that are grey to you).

On the other hand, picking up slicing nodes while adventuring is PURE profit.

If you are short on credits (like just starting out), don't bother with the missions.

False