Hey Everyone

Dinguskhan

So im looking to get into SWTOR, its been a very very long time since i last played and i was wondering which server i should roll on (im also from Australia if that means anything) and was also wondering if there is any guilds out there willing to show me the ropes and hopefully sometime down the track be able to play end game with them :D. Im more than willing to play any class be it dps heals or tank i just want a community to hang out with and play considering mmos are generally more fun with others. Feel free to pm any questions as ill be waiting to hear responses before i make any big decisions.

So im looking to get into SWTOR, its been a very very long time since i last played and i was wondering which server i should roll on (im also from Australia if that means anything) and was also wondering if there is any guilds out there willing to show me the ropes and hopefully sometime down the track be able to play end game with them :D. Im more than willing to play any class be it dps heals or tank i just want a community to hang out with and play considering mmos are generally more fun with others. Feel free to pm any questions as ill be waiting to hear responses before i make any big decisions.

I play on Satele Shan, and I've noticed things seem to pick up a lot at 1 a.m. CST (around 6 p.m. depending on where you live in Australia), so I'm guessing there are others who play from Australia. We get consistent pops on just about everything.

The other option is Star Forge, but I'm not playing on there right now so I'm not sure how the queues are at that time.

If you do decide to come to Satele Shan, let me know because I have toons in most of the biggest guilds on the server, and it's easy to get you an invite whether you're on Empire or Republic side.

Awesome thanks man :D

Would u recommend any classes as a new player? or just pick whatever sounds good

Yeah, you should play around with what looks best to you. Some players like melee and others prefer ranged.

Mercenary is pretty fun and easy for ranged, but the sniper story is totally amazing.

For melee, I like the Shadow, but Guardian/Juggernaut is pretty fun to play too.

All of the classes have their own stories, so you're in for a real treat.

the sniper story is totally amazing.

This statement is totally subjective.

I think that, although it's well-constructed, the Agent story (none of it is specific to snipers) suffers by playing on a very tired cliché:

A lone agent struggling against the Secret Masters / Illuminati.

I can be but many many players that have played through all the stories (multiple times) have said it. It is indeed one of the best stories in the game. There are quite a few twists, phrases and you can actually have a different ending.

I can be but many many players that have played through all the stories (multiple times) have said it. It is indeed one of the best stories in the game. There are quite a few twists, phrases and you can actually have a different ending.

The truth isn't a democratic process, and in any event, it's a subjective thing, so truth doesn't enter in to it. As I said, it's well-constructed, but a well-constructed tired cliché remains a tired cliché.

Hey, fellow aussie here. Im on star forge. not really much choice when it comes to servers. Might as well pick one of the American ones though as it has more English speakers. Just a heads up though, you may notice some issues due to ping, but it can't be helped.I also recommend looking at some guides online to help you get started, otherwise, just jump in and learn as you go :)

I think that, although it's well-constructed, the Agent story (none of it is specific to snipers) suffers by playing on a very tired cliché:

A lone agent struggling against the Secret Masters / Illuminati.

As you can see from my post, I encourage the OP to try out a number of classes. OBVIOUSLY I'm giving my own opinion, which will always be subjective, so why the post here? Is there some kind of problem?

You're welcome to comment on what you think is the best option for the OP as well, of course.

As you can see from my post, I encourage the OP to try out a number of classes. OBVIOUSLY I'm giving my own opinion, which will always be subjective, so why the post here?

There's a subtle difference between saying "Agent is the most amazing story" and saying "I personally found the Agent story amazing"

The first statement does not necessarily imply that you think it's just an opinion, whereas the second one clearly does. 🙂

There's a subtle difference between saying "Agent is the most amazing story" and saying "I personally found the Agent story amazing"

The first statement does not necessarily imply that you think it's just an opinion, whereas the second one clearly does. 🙂

I never used a superlative (best, most exciting, etc.), so any descriptive terms I use are obviously subjective.

If I say, "chicken is awesome" or "chicken is disgusting," do I really need to qualify it every time with "only in my opinion"? Many reasonable people would arrive at the conclusion that I'm expressing my opinion, since obviously there's no scientific way to measure concepts such as amazing, incredible, disgusting, tasty, fun, boring, etc. These will always be subjective, in any context.

I mean, you can argue semantics as much as you want, but let me simplify it in case you need help:

The OP asked if we had any classes we would recommend playing. I told him to go with what he liked, then suggested a few options:

The statement that you're calling into question was part of a contrast that basically looks like this:

1. Some people like ranged; others like melee.

2. If you like ranged, you may want to try either a mercenary or a sniper.

3. Mercenary is often considered an easier class to play, but the sniper story is awesome, so you may want to play that class even though it's probably more difficult just so you can experience the story.

Final note: I can't believe how petty some individuals can be when it comes to nitpicking personal opinions.

If I say, "chicken is awesome" or "chicken is disgusting," do I really need to qualify it every time with "only in my opinion"? Many reasonable people would arrive at the conclusion that I'm expressing my opinion, since obviously there's no scientific way to measure concepts such as amazing, incredible, disgusting, tasty, fun, boring, etc. These will always be subjective, in any context.

Final note: I can't believe how petty some individuals can be when it comes to nitpicking personal opinions.

The key word here is "many". Unfortunately, while "many" reasonable people would know you're expressing an opinion, in this day of internet faux-outrage, too many unreasonable people think that their opinion is the only correct opinion.

As far as nit-picking is concerned, I'm just nit-picking grammar, not opinions, for grins.

The key word here is "many". Unfortunately, while "many" reasonable people would know you're expressing an opinion, in this day of internet faux-outrage, too many unreasonable people think that their opinion is the only correct opinion.

There are definitely some examples of that in this thread.