I saved another planet!!! ....again...

FooBard

Throughout the galaxy I go - from planet to planet - saving the day.

I am the deus ex machina of some galaxy far far way!

:mon_angel:

No wait… I’m not! WE are… All of us! Well, at least that’s what this game is trying to tell us.

Last night when I completed yet another planet, and was told, if I may paraphrase – “Thank you for saving Balmorra! We don’t know what we would have done without you!”

Now, this isn’t my “CLASS EPIC”… this is the same quest line everyone gets on every planet they go to…. “Save us oh mighty deus ex machina!”

I had never really done this, but I had to stop for a moment and say, “Wait, I did nothing of the sort! There are hundreds of other hero’s here that are doing the same thing!” And when I rode off on my speeder, dodging blaster fire from all the exact same mobs that I “saved them from”, the feeling was even emptier.

With that said, I just wanted to reiterate what has been said since this game launched… This is not an MMO, it is an online single player game. THE ENTIRE GAME is….

It is an online social media hub, for a single player game.

And… for lack of a better phrase. “Bioware, you’re doing it wrong.”

Nothing wrong with molding us players into “heroes”, that’s kind of the point in these games. But being the “savior of the universe” (hence the deus ex reference) – is just too much.

I’d feel much better about playing this game knowing I “contributed to the success of my chosen faction”… instead of outright being made to believe I was the sole reason we are winning.

Not sure what this thread will produce, but I’d like to hear what you think would make the “planet series” quests a little less “ZOMG UR OUR SAVIOR!”

I would have liked to seen the planet story more geared towards something like “Look, another member of Havoc Squad has arrived! With this and all the Jedi that have come on the scene surely the tide will shift in our direction!”

I mean really… give the other players that have arrived on the scene some credit too.

Just sayin' :wea_09:

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't be to sad I'm not only a key member of the Dark Counsel but the second most powerful force user in the galaxy next to the emperor, But I can't gain access to my office on dromund kaas after my big making the empire in my own image speech. I check everyday but it's still red.

Go figure i needed to pay the rent still.

Edited by nartiuslightlord
Trying to inject some humor :)

Don't be to sad I'm not only a key member of the Dark Counsel but the second most powerful force user in the galaxy next to the emperor, But I can't gain access to my office on dromund kaas after my big making the empire in my own image speech. I check everyday but it's still red.

Go figure i needed to pay the rent still.

They're remodling it and it'll be ready for you "Soon™"

When you consider that the story line for any individual is character-centric on that individual, and that the individual is the protagonist of the story, your use of 'deus ex machina' is inappropriate. Yes, the planet story lines are generalized so that any character in the correct faction is the protagonist of that story line, but they're still the protagonist. Deus ex machina never has/can/will refer to the actual protagonist; it refers to an un-introduced entity (like some random god) that shows up out of the blue to resolve the plot for the protagonist.

You are right about one thing, though: this is a single-player game while leveling, with a multiplayer option while leveling. The endgame is still very MMO, and obviously so is the PvP. I actually find that to be one of the games selling points. The leveling is like playing an actual, fun video game as opposed to some mind-numbing grind like in other MMOs.

No wait… I’m not! WE are… All of us! Well, at least that’s what this game is trying to tell us.

Last night when I completed yet another planet, and was told, if I may paraphrase – “Thank you for saving Balmorra! We don’t know what we would have done without you!”

Now, this isn’t my “CLASS EPIC”… this is the same quest line everyone gets on every planet they go to…. “Save us oh mighty deus ex machina!”

I had never really done this, but I had to stop for a moment and say, “Wait, I did nothing of the sort! There are hundreds of other hero’s here that are doing the same thing!” And when I rode off on my speeder, dodging blaster fire from all the exact same mobs that I “saved them from”, the feeling was even emptier.

With that said, I just wanted to reiterate what has been said since this game launched… This is not an MMO, it is an online single player game. THE ENTIRE GAME is….

Nothing wrong with molding us players into “heroes”, that’s kind of the point in these games. But being the “savior of the universe” (hence the deus ex reference) – is just too much.

I’d feel much better about playing this game knowing I “contributed to the success of my chosen faction”… instead of outright being made to believe I was the sole reason we are winning.

Not sure what this thread will produce, but I’d like to hear what you think would make the “planet series” quests a little less “ZOMG UR OUR SAVIOR!”

I would have liked to seen the planet story more geared towards something like “Look, another member of Havoc Squad has arrived! With this and all the Jedi that have come on the scene surely the tide will shift in our direction!”

I mean really… give the other players that have arrived on the scene some credit too.

I think I can sum up your complaints with this statement: It's a game!

If you have a better I ideas how to setup a mission structure where not one person does the same story mission, I'd love to hear it.

This is why I favor random "area" quests vs. "kill 10 of these" quests that involve a story. Give it a basic story, but the "collect 10 bear butts" quests are all done as areas quests when you enter an area, vs. needing to be in your book, etc.

That way you can do them if you need the exp, or skip them, like people do with side quests anyway.

I liked that about old KOTOR that you could repeat a conversation with someone, to make sure you heard the whole story from them, asked different things, etc. I hate how once you reach the end of someone's companion arc they'll never speak to you again.

In Guild Wars 2, the hero of your personal story... is a guy called Trahearne who becomes the big general of the allied forces against the undead, thanks to you, mostly. You just help him make things happen after that. He's also very unpopular among players.

What I mean is that I'm happy that at least in cutscene world in SWTOR I can feel my actions have direct, important consequences and that I get the credit for them and no wimpy treeman tries to upstage me.

I think I can sum up your complaints with this statement: It's a game!

If you have a better I ideas how to setup a mission structure where not one person does the same story mission, I'd love to hear it.

He did actually give a suggestion on making it different..

BW makes RPGs. Single character focused. That is what they know and that is how they write and that is how they wrote SWTOR. This is yet another thing that "wasn't thought through" very well. :rolleyes:

When you consider that the story line for any individual is character-centric on that individual, and that the individual is the protagonist of the story, your use of 'deus ex machina' is inappropriate. Yes, the planet story lines are generalized so that any character in the correct faction is the protagonist of that story line, but they're still the protagonist. Deus ex machina never has/can/will refer to the actual protagonist; it refers to an un-introduced entity (like some random god) that shows up out of the blue to resolve the plot for the protagonist.

Actually no. If I were the protagonist, the whole story of the planet would revolve around "me". It doesn't, it's an ongoing conflict between two factions, that is failing and about to slip into defeat... in which "my character" arrives on the scene, and saves the day.

Very much inline of the concept of deus ex machina.

The protagonist here, is usually some failed or rogue general...

I think you're confusing this with - the class Epic - in which case our characters ARE the protagonist.

(why are we discussing this anyway? lol)

Edited by FooBard

One of the problems: You play 50 levels as this super-epic elite soldier/Jedi Master/Darth of the Sith and whatnot, feeling like a very special snowflake and all of a sudden you are just another drib of water in recruit gear. I guess it's the fate of most MMO-players: You have to face the fact that we're basically all the same because we all play the same game.

So... How many people killed the Lich King again?

Oh, nevermind... i guess WoW is a single player game too...

Edited by OddballEasyEight

I do kinda see what you mean. You're off saving so many planets by yourself that it starts to feel samey after a while. Oh, you've saved all life on Taris! Oh, you've saved Balmorra! Oh, you've permanently altered the course of politics on Alderaan.

You don't save Dromund Kaas (except incidentally). You don't save Korriban. You don't save Tython.

Single-handedly ending the Balmorran Resistance (that's been going on for decades) feels like something you should work up to, not to do in your first time taking your ship out for a spin.

People who quote the entire OP and then proceed to make a comment that didn't require them to do so should be attacked by a hundred angry, rabid squirrels dressed in poison-spiked armor and metal-clawed boots.

Hey, let's be fair here.

The squirrels should also be hungry, and be the size of terriers.

Updated:

General Rydzadesque: "Ah, welcome to Belsavis. It's been pretty rough lately, and it's nice to see that people saw our request for help on the Holonet. We've got a few dozen of the Republic's most elite troopers, a few protectors of the entire Jedi Order, and more Jedi Knights than you can shake a lightsaber at --don't try, they're itching for action-- but what we really needed was a seventh smuggler to really turn the tide. Ah. You're going to hit people with your blaster. Yeah, that's just what we needed."

I know that is just the heroic adventure I look for in games.

Maybe give group content a shot, if you wanna feel like you're part of a war machine as opposed to the sole savior of the galaxy.

ETA: But I feel like level 50 imperial storyline should've been about

supporting Malgus's new Empire. Abandoning rank among the Sith makes more sense than thousands of Dark Council members running around.

Edited by MonBrav