Imagine SWTOR with a dash of SWG

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How great would that be, if the gameplay, story and systems exsisted in a SWG like galaxy with massive free roaming planets, player houseing, full space combat and open world and space pvp? It would be sick.

Absolutely... agreed. Absolutely.

That's what I expected this to be. That's what everyone sort of expected this to be. That, coupled with all the voice acting and cut-scenes. This was supposed to be THE game. What we were given, however, is an unfinished, unevolved WoW clone. I would happily trade in all the time I played on this game (which is quite a lot) for one weekend of SWG. Edited by Maurdiib

Well, hopefully the devs fix open world PVP and get the 3D space combat going. As for free roam planets, probably not for a super long time if even that. But yes, it would be simply amazing.

well it coudl sort of be accomplished, by using assets already created to add additional territory to planets, then populating the area with dangerous mobs, hidden goodies, and dynamic events which change now and again. Yes that would require some work, but woudlnt it liven up the universe they have here?

Edit: and in the intrim, if you want to liven up the world, you dont need just one rakghoal plague event, u need about 5 going on at once. tons of stuff that is happening throughout the universe that is good for all levels. so much that people have to choose what to focus on.

Edited by Nebachadnezzer

That's what I expected this to be. That's what everyone sort of expected this to be. That, coupled with all the voice acting and cut-scenes. This was supposed to be THE game. What we were given, however, is an unfinished, unevolved WoW clone. I would happily trade in all the time I played on this game (which is quite a lot) for one weekend of SWG.

Thats what I expected and I got what you described.

Thats what I expected and I got what you described.

I actually find alot of this game to be quite well done. My biggest gripe has always been that the world feels smaller then it should. The star wars universe is vast. That feeling should translate into the game. The live event we had gave me some hope that a level of randmoness could be had here. Only it needs to be done x5 imho.

God no, star wars galaxies was a piece of ****, if it was any good it wouldn't be in the **** gutter with the matrix online.

SWG was pretty much one of the greatest MMOs until Sony got greedy and dumbed it down for the WoW crowd. That's when it died.

This game is pretty much marketed to the lowest common denominator, just like WoW.

I don't know if they will be able to fix everything that is wrong with this game before it goes on life-support.

I saw pretty much the exact same thing happen on Warhammer Online.

Edited by theskurGe

God no, star wars galaxies was a piece of ****, if it was any good it wouldn't be in the **** gutter with the matrix online.

you do not know what your talking about. swg lasted for 10 years, much longer then matrix ever coudl have hoped, and peaked at half a mil before wow exsisted. It was by any means perfect and SOE certainly didnt help with that stupid clicky combat crap. However that world was unparalelled for a living breathing ecosystem. Being able to survey the ground, find spots to plant harvesters, put up houses, shops, cities. your own space ports, your own banks, your own mission terminals. It was pretty sick. Not to mention the space game was on par with XWvTF. YOu must not have played would be my guess.

SWG was super popular until they did the combat upgrade, after that the game died. Then the NGE was the deathtoll, fthe player based that played after that didn't really play SWG.

SWG had a few problems, one being it was set in the wrong time era, and 2 being they made the mistake of making a hero class that takes a very long time to unlock. If they would of put SWG in this time era and not made Jedi a hero class it would of been epic.

Jedi being a hero class was what led to the combat update and that along with the sucess of wow led to the NGE.

that is probably what most of us expected...then again, expectations vs reality huh ?

why?

On a rare occation the Devs in NOV 08 said the following

In our game you are the hero, not the cook, merchant, mayor.

You are the Hero

This is not SWG2.0

So for the life of my I never understood why you all refused to listen when people told you time and time again this was not SWG2.0 and EAoware was doing EVERYTHING opposite of SWG design.

I dont stick up for EAoware often but in this regards, the fault falls COMPLETELY on the small small small dedicated crowd that refused to listen to what was being said plainly to them.

Oh and placing houses on playable area masses of worlds remains a huge fail that very few wish to ever see again.

SWG died quickly for a reason and while TOR is screwed up in many aspects, using concepts from orther failed games makes no sense at all!

Better EAoware looked at successfull games like EQ and DAoC (rather then just WOW).

SWG was super popular until they did the combat upgrade, after that the game died. Then the NGE was the deathtoll, fthe player based that played after that didn't really play SWG.

SWG had a few problems, one being it was set in the wrong time era, and 2 being they made the mistake of making a hero class that takes a very long time to unlock. If they would of put SWG in this time era and not made Jedi a hero class it would of been epic.

Jedi being a hero class was what led to the combat update and that along with the sucess of wow led to the NGE.

finally someone that played the game and can admit the truth.

Im so sick of hearing how NGE killed game when game was dead long before then.

When they introduced the Village patch there was already server wide issues of people not being able to do all the village quests because of population shortages.

How great would that be, if the gameplay, story and systems exsisted in a SWG like galaxy with massive free roaming planets, player houseing, full space combat and open world and space pvp? It would be sick.

I can imagine TOR with a dash of SWG. It would be in the trash with it's failed sibling. SWG is dead for a reason no matter how much you QQ to Bioware.

:rak_03: Deal With It.

i just imagined it...... now i need to go get a clean pair of pants.

player housing was great but it wasn't without issues. First and foremost it spamed all the area up with the same looking houses so that where ever you were it always looked the same. It also caused alot of lag.

In this game player housing will never work because they can't even figure out how to get 10 vs 10 pvp in the open world to work without crazy lag.

That's what I expected this to be. That's what everyone sort of expected this to be. That, coupled with all the voice acting and cut-scenes. This was supposed to be THE game. What we were given, however, is an unfinished, unevolved WoW clone. I would happily trade in all the time I played on this game (which is quite a lot) for one weekend of SWG.

I don't know, I would much prefer the combat controls in this game in comparison with SWG's clunky controls.

SWG died quickly for a reason and while TOR is screwed up in many aspects, using concepts from orther failed games makes no sense at all!

whats funny is, SWG lasted for a decade, It died, but not quickly, and even with soe screwing up things, it still persisted, primarily because of the world it had. I have to assume u were too young ot have played that one.

Edited by Nebachadnezzer

SWG was the best game i ever played, prior to the NGE, but even after the NGE i feel I could still do more things than i can in SWTOR. I could play all day and not do any combat at all. The first year i played swg i didn't even leave Tatooine, because i didn't know i could leave the planet. But that was ok because there was so much to do. I can't say the same thing for SWTOR. So far my experience with swtor is that it's pretty much all about combat. the story, wz, flashpoints, etc are all about combat. go over there and kill so many soldiers and then go back talk to that person, make light/dark decision, etc. I like combat, but for maybe an hour, then i don't want to do combat anymore.

In SWG all the items, furniture, weapons, armor, clothing, houses, droids/pets, speeders, etc were created by the players. In SWTOR it seems that BW makes everything. Decay was essential for the economy. In SWTOR you can simply pay so many credits to repair all items at any vendor. That is not the kind of decay that swg had but it works for the kind of game that SWTOR is because SWTOR isn't really player driven. In SWTOR i feel that the planets need to be more for the players and not leveled theme planets with paths that you go down to do story and missions. and once your done with the story/missions on that planet you will not return to that planet because it is for a certain level that you have now passed. is there a good reason to go back to Hutta. i can't see one.

I loved it in swg when i bought my first house from a player vendor and plopped it down on tatooine. I was able to decorate my house with furniture, pets, and items that i won, like the hero of tatooine sculpture. I put a harvester outside and a fusion generator. In SWTOR they say that your ship is your house, but i don't know why they say that. I can't decorate my ship and there is nothing in the game to decorate my ship with. I can't move anything around on my ship. Even the companions are stationary and say some random comment when i click on them. i can't even give them a companion gift when im on the ship. in swtor my ship is the most boring place to be. IMO i feel that BW can greatly expand the planet environments to allow for player housing so that you still have the theme part of the planet, but outside of that you have player environment. so win, win.

The character customization in SWG was far more complex. I could move the nose up and down, eyes, mouth. i could change the body type by a scale. in SWTOR there are set face types. and yes it has happened a few times already, in the game, where im standing next to another player that looks exactly like me in the face and body type. Also in swg i could change my character customization once i was in the game. I don't think you can change your face/body type in SWTOR, once you're in the game. and because of this i will not choose miraluka because im positive that i will get tired of the set mask type.

Don't get me wrong. I love SWTOR! I think it does have a better combat system than SWG had and better PVP, and better graphics. The story (voice over) is awesome! But I feel it is only a small fraction of an mmorpg. I also like the companions, with hopeful improvement to their AI. The best thing I like about SWTOR is that there is a lot of potential with the game. BW is always talking about new things they will implement. and BW seems to listen to their players. Something SOE failed at. I hope BW takes after SWG when it comes to other things to do in a game besides combat, with a better crafting system player driven economy, player housing, and better character customization.

Edited by acepilotz

Agree, the game would be amazing ! + podracing and other minigames olala

SWG was never that popular or even good.

It had neat ideas but it was highly unorganized. The current gamer is looking for something he/she can play and put down again. SWG was interesting at best.

Edited by Arkerus

SWG was the best game i ever played, prior to the NGE, but even after the NGE i feel I could still do more things than i can in SWTOR. I could play all day and not do any combat at all. The first year i played swg i didn't even leave Tatooine, because i didn't know i could leave the planet. But that was ok because there was so much to do. I can't say the same thing for SWTOR. So far my experience with swtor is that it's pretty much all about combat. the story, wz, flashpoints, etc are all about combat. go over there and kill so many soldiers and then go back talk to that person, make light/dark decision, etc. I like combat, but for maybe an hour, then i don't want to do combat anymore.

In SWG all the items, furniture, weapons, armor, clothing, houses, droids/pets, speeders, etc were created by the players. In SWTOR it seems that BW makes everything. Decay was essential for the economy. In SWTOR you can simply pay so many credits to repair all items at any vendor. That is not the kind of decay that swg had but it works for the kind of game that SWTOR is because SWTOR isn't really player driven. In SWTOR i feel that the planets need to be more for the players and not leveled theme planets with paths that you go down to do story and missions. and once your done with the story/missions on that planet you will not return to that planet because it is for a certain level that you have now passed. is there a good reason to go back to Hutta. i can't see one.

I loved it in swg when i bought my first house from a player vendor and plopped it down on tatooine. I was able to decorate my house with furniture, pets, and items that i won, like the hero of tatooine sculpture. I put a harvester outside and a fusion generator. In SWTOR they say that your ship is your house, but i don't know why they say that. I can't decorate my ship and there is nothing in the game to decorate my ship with. I can't move anything around on my ship. Even the companions are stationary and say some random comment when i click on them. i can't even give them a companion gift when im on the ship. in swtor my ship is the most boring place to be. IMO i feel that BW can greatly expand the planet environments to allow for player housing so that you still have the theme part of the planet, but outside of that you have player environment. so win, win.

The character customization in SWG was far more complex. I could move the nose up and down, eyes, mouth. i could change the body type by a scale. in SWTOR there are set face types. and yes it has happened a few times already, in the game, where im standing next to another player that looks exactly like me in the face and body type. Also in swg i could change my character customization once i was in the game. I don't think you can change your face/body type in SWTOR, once you're in the game. and because of this i will not choose miraluka because im positive that i will get tired of the set mask type.

Don't get me wrong. I love SWTOR! I think it does have a better combat system than SWG had and better PVP, and better graphics. The story (voice over) is awesome! But I feel it is only a small fraction of an mmorpg. I also like the companions, with hopeful improvement to their AI. The best thing I like about SWTOR is that there is a lot of potential with the game. BW is always talking about new things they will implement. and BW seems to listen to their players. Something SOE failed at. I hope BW takes after SWG when it comes to other things to do in a game besides combat, with a better crafting system player driven economy, player housing, and better character customization.

Fixed your post so it doesnt hurt my eyes. Learn to hit enter a few times.