SWTOR On GTX 680 "video inside"

BizzzIMO

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice 30 fps mate.

I bought a GTX 680 and maxed out all settings aswell.

For a Directx9 game, it gave me 50-60 fps in Huttball.

CPU is Intel Core i5-2500K 3.30GHz (OC'd to 4.3 GHz).

Yeah Bioware, sup with that? 50 fps with GTX 680 in your directx9 game?

Good one.

Nice 30 fps mate.

Good one.

I get 90-125 when not recording with fraps..

Good one.

I can't tell if this is trolling, sarcasm, or what. What is wrong with 50-60 fps? This means you are getting much higher than that in most PvE scenarios.

How much fps do you demand before you deem it acceptable?

Edited by Kthx

I get 90-125 when not recording with fraps..

You just said in the video yourself that you dip to 30 at crowded areas.

Do you know how stupid that sounds with a GTX 680?

I've a GTX 680 myself and my GTX 570M card performs as well as the GTX 680 in Warzones.

Sorry but I thought upgrading my GPU for 553 euros (yes 4899:- SEK) would at least give me a very good boost at 70-90 in Warzones.

Boy I was wrong. Again, my returned MSI GTX780DX which had a GTX 570M had as much fps and same settings (prior to 1.2 Update) as my GTX 680.

Sorry to throw it to you but......

Pure Bioware Quality son.

Edited by Samvan

The game runs like a dream on my HD5870 in 3D at around 50 fps, and at around 80 fps in 2D mode, though I have seen it as high as 120 fps. Since I do not participate in large scale PvP though I cannot say how performance is with 20 plus players all running about on screen at once. However, my other rig which has a lower spec with an HD5850 the game runs like a pig. Take what you will from those comparisions. What I will say is, the game is stunning in 3D.

Man if you are waiting to pull the trigger on a gtx 680, dont wait thi card is sick!!

Check this out to see what swtor looks like and how it runs on the gtx 680..

Beautiful card, way over priced, i got 40fps atm with 6850 max settings, no need to up to something like that any time soon...

Don't get me wrong. I enjoy what SWTOR has to offer.

But something is clearly wrong with the graphic engine or SOMETHING from their part. But instead the developers are waving away the issue and informing us that it's our own problems and our low-end computers.

Bioware needs to sort it out, GTX 680 should NOT give this low fps, especially in a Directx9 game.

And please don't call me low-end James Ohlen. I'm not 5%.

Edited by Samvan

People do realize that 50-60 framerate is quite fine right? Actually its better than getting 100 frames per second. Not much reason for a videocard to work harder than it should.

Your monitor's refresh rate is probably at 60 frames per second and the human eye will not notice any stuttering motion at this rate most the time. Really anything less than 30 is when things start to go bad, at least when there is a lot a movement.

GTX 680 is a new card with a new architecture. These kinds of performance surprises often happen until after a couple of updated driver releases.

I would buy this except.......

The other AAA titles out there have massive performance increases with the new Kepler architecture. In fact Nvidia spent a great deal of time focusing on the performance of Kepler as it pertains to some of the newest, and more popular, games on the market. If there was an inherent flaw with the architecture, or a driver maturity issue, we would see performance issues more widespread across multiple applications.

The fact remains, and this horse has been beaten to a pulp, SWTOR suffers from very severe performance issues. BioWare used to completely ignore this fact but about a month ago finally acknowledged a performance issue and stated they are going to be addressing it.

/thread

EDIT: A final thought about the GTX 680...

Nvidia is price gouging the customer and laughing their way to the bank. The card we now have as the GTX 680, using the GK104 chip, was supposed to be the replacement for the 560 TI. Unfortunately for the consumer AMD didn't see the performance gains out of their 7xxx series that they expected. This allowed NVidia to release their entry level gaming card, GK104, as the flagship card instead of a GK107 or GK110 based card.

Funny enough a GTX 670 and 670 Ti using the same GK104 chip was just announced, though they simply have an SMX disabled for one reason or another.

Basically we are paying a high end card price for an entry to middle of the road card, only because it performances at and just over the level of the flagship AMD cards.

Edited by PostalTwinkie

never had an issue with my gtx 550 ti always maxed ....

even my CPU is older, (core2Quad)..

Always consistant fps.

I do have SOME improvements (8GB Corsair 1600MHz, and a Boot SSD)

never a graphics lag, never a server access/internet lag....

Of course, I should mention I work for the local cable company and one of the employee perks is an unrestricted broadband pipe which is currently provisioned at 100 down 10 up. never a lag issue , even in WZ.

they see me rollin', they hatin' ;)

never had an issue with my gtx 550 ti always maxed ....

even my CPU is older, (core2Quad)..

Always consistant fps.

I do have SOME improvements (8GB Corsair 1600MHz, and a Boot SSD)

never a graphics lag, never a server access/internet lag....

Of course, I should mention I work for the local cable company and one of the employee perks is an unrestricted broadband pipe which is currently provisioned at 100 down 10 up. never a lag issue , even in WZ.

they see me rollin', they hatin' ;)

A SSD is about the single best thing you can do for this game. The frame rate issue that people with proper hardware experience isn't related to video card performance, it is a data access issue. The way SWTOR handles data access is terrible! During data retrieval a halt command is actually issued to the rendering engine until the new data is retrieved. Having a SSD will greatly improve overall performance of this game, because of how it is handling data and rendering together. It is also why setting up a Ram Drive for people without a SSD helps a lot with performance.

/dead horse beating

A SSD is about the single best thing you can do for this game. The frame rate issue that people with proper hardware experience isn't related to video card performance, it is a data access issue. The way SWTOR handles data access is terrible! During data retrieval a halt command is actually issued to the rendering engine until the new data is retrieved. Having a SSD will greatly improve overall performance of this game, because of how it is handling data and rendering together. It is also why setting up a Ram Drive for people without a SSD helps a lot with performance.

/dead horse beating

I have a couple of SSDs (my main is SATA III) and loading screens at the orbital stations are still... 10 seconds -_-

Nice 30 fps mate.

Good one.

You won't notice a difference between 50 FPS and 120 FPS. But whatever.

680 has awesome physics processing. Check the video where they show off the wookie-kinda-monster, totally covered in fur.

Is it damn expensive? Yes. Will it be cheap when the next card hits the market? Yes. That's how it is with all graphic cards. If you don't want to spend hundreds now just buy lower end card and buy 680 in 2-3 years.

I have a couple of SSDs (my main is SATA III) and loading screens at the orbital stations are still... 10 seconds -_-

That is better than the 20 to 45 seconds people on a HDD are seeing when going from station to planet and such. Still in the end BioWare needs to rework their product so that it handles data in a more optimized fashion.

None of those fancy graphics cards will do a thing if the bottleneck in your system is your processor or ram.

People arguing over the difference between 50 and 100 frames per second are funny, particularly since after 30 fps it becomes a psychological issue and not a visual one.

I also find it funny when people bash the coding and the engine. I've been playing this game on 3 different systems. A 3 year old laptop, a top of the line PC I built just a couple months ago, and on a media box I built with a GT240 card, a couple years ago. I don't think this would be possible if the coding and engine were as horrible as some would have us believe.

The fact remains that the game is designed with a 7 year old Hero Engine and written in Linux, then cross compiled.

So with this in mind you can see why the game appears to be only XP compatable and craps on Windows 7 with new hardware.

SWTOR was written for 4 year old Technology in Video cards and 5 year old CPU's running XP in 32 bit mode.

This is the reason SWTOR sucks on anything other then XP with a 3.4 Mhz Pentium with a SSD drive.

Can we have a new internet rule? "No frame rate numbers shall be posted without also listing the screen resolution"

Telling me you get 60 fps on a certain video card with a certain CPU tells me nothing unless you also say what resolution you run at.

Telling me you get 60 fps on a certain video card with a certain CPU tells me nothing unless you also say what resolution you run at.

I run 800x600.

No seriously, why would I bother playing anything else than 1920x1080?

That's just stupidity from you ptw.

You just said in the video yourself that you dip to 30 at crowded areas.

Do you know how stupid that sounds with a GTX 680?

I've a GTX 680 myself and my GTX 570M card performs as well as the GTX 680 in Warzones.

Sorry but I thought upgrading my GPU for 553 euros (yes 4899:- SEK) would at least give me a very good boost at 70-90 in Warzones.

Boy I was wrong. Again, my returned MSI GTX780DX which had a GTX 570M had as much fps and same settings (prior to 1.2 Update) as my GTX 680.

Sorry to throw it to you but......

Pure Bioware Quality son.

^^^ This is true, my 5870 gets 30fps (spikes down to 11fps) but turning the graphics down to LOWEST does NOTHING , I get NO increase in frame rate at all, *** is up with that Bioware? Obviously **** programming at work.... (its been said before and its just turning out to be more true)

PS Thing is I can and do play Crysis 2 etc all on max settings APART from AA (which I turn to x2 since I run at 1920 x 1080 you cannot notice the difference apart from the frame rate) , its just pathetic how poorly this game runs :( and god the bugs....

Edited by KalTorrak