Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Not Waiting for Superman: Winning a WZ with a Less-than-Stellar (PuG) Team

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > PvP
Not Waiting for Superman: Winning a WZ with a Less-than-Stellar (PuG) Team

LarryRow
12.17.2012 , 03:36 PM | #21
Quote: Originally Posted by CBGB View Post
2/6/0 vs 2/6/0 in Civil War is a toss-up, yet it's the most common approach in Civil War, followed only by the miserable, unannounced 2/5/1, which gives your team superior numbers at only one node.

Don't count on Superman out-deathmatching everyone in sight. Send more of your team to the target and win.
Civil War openings are classic Prisoner's Dilemma. Why go 2/6/0 if you think they are going 2/6/0? You are much better off going 1/7/0 to have superior numbers at 2 nodes, right? Which makes the 2/5/1 just fine if that 1 guy is good. This ends up going in circles because for every strat I name you can name a better counter strat.

The big difference between Civil War and the Dilemma is that you get some information about the enemy's deployment at the beginning. Being able to see approx how many go to your off node is a big help, but only if the dummies from mid actually hop over the wall to assist.
A classic sig that should not be lost:
Quote:
Stunned , pew pew hack slash , stunned , running backward circles, stunned cannot move, pew pew, break stun, 30 second snare, wha?!?!!? stunned, knockdown, ...less stun more pew pew and hacknslash please.

CBGB
12.17.2012 , 04:21 PM | #22
Quote: Originally Posted by LarryRow View Post
Civil War openings are classic Prisoner's Dilemma....This ends up going in circles because for every strat I name you can name a better counter strat..
Yep. I don't mean to suggest that Civil War can be won by always going 2/0/6. As you say, any strategy can be met with a counter.

But teams don't need to keep going 2/6/0 when they expect the other team to do the same, as they do in so many matches. The key is to get your team thinking about going where the enemy is not, instead of thinking they can go to the same place and win because of their mad skillz.

Quote: Originally Posted by LarryRow View Post
Which makes the 2/5/1 just fine if that 1 guy is good..
Everyone thinks they're that guy - that good - and they're often not. But even when they are, they lose the other contested node with their average team. Remember, your PuGs are, on average, average. They'll lose when outnumbered. So don't get outnumbered.

And what of that Superman player who heroically capped a node? He or she is now standing solo, waiting for dead teammates to respawn. That's a big deal in Novare, where the respawn is far away. It's less of a problem in Civil War, thanks to the direct speeders, but only if your teammates hustle to reinforce. In an average team they might or might not.

That same Super-player could have made a difference at the other node in both cases, which they'd now hold with their teammates around them... and even an average team can see the benefit of that.
Ebon Hawk: Kurek, Op. Anvar, Merc. Kalek, Sorc. Jurat, Sage. Jagen, Commando. Jaxis, Scoundrel.

TheBabyEater
12.17.2012 , 04:56 PM | #23
All it comes down to is situationel awareness and always go for the objectiv and not death match.

If ppl can get that into their heads they'd win more.

Banderal
12.17.2012 , 06:00 PM | #24
Quote: Originally Posted by CBGB View Post
The key is to get your team thinking about going where the enemy is not, instead of thinking they can go to the same place and win because of their mad skillz.
I like a lot of these posts (who knew there could be rational discussion on the forums! ) - but one thing that I have seen time and time again, which (IMHO) loses WZ that we'd probably have otherwise won, is people apparently applying this strategy even after we have two capped. I boggles my mind how many times we fight for and finally get that second node, and then as we continue to fight, and people die and respawn, they all head to the node we don't have to try to cap it. I think the idea is that "well, the one we have is going to be really hard to hold because they are all attacking it, so I'll go cap the the other one because they won't have anyone there!".

I'll admit that once in a while this works, but most of the time it just ends up with only having one node to defend. I think there should be a corollary to your original point up there... once you cap two, reverse that strategy and head to where they ARE (unless they are all defender-medal-farming at their remaining node).

CBGB
12.19.2012 , 06:16 PM | #25
Updated for Ancient Hypergate.

Strategy for it will become more refined, but for now, it's as forgiving as Voidstar. You can win even if much of your team sticks to deathmatching, as long as you have a few good souls retrieving orbs.

That makes it much easier to deal with an average (or below-average) team: getting even one or two solid players to hit the objectives goes a long way.
Ebon Hawk: Kurek, Op. Anvar, Merc. Kalek, Sorc. Jurat, Sage. Jagen, Commando. Jaxis, Scoundrel.