Server population is dropping...

Miffy

Any one else noticed that the servers were all full during peak times the other week and now all the full ones are now only heavy or very heavy. Lots are just standard now and you log on to them to see what the populations are like and you'll get like 20 people in a zone compared to around 80 in the very heavy ones.

Bioware needs to start merging servers before they make the mistake every other developer has done with mmorpgs ever since WoW. If you're part of an unpopulated server you're more likely to quit because you cannot find the people to play with.

It's not a doomsday thread but Bioware need to get on top of the population decline before the servers get too underpopulated and people quit.

• 3 months later...
  • Replies 660
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Greetings folks!

The previous version of this thread has exceeded 1,000 posts and we have recreated the discussion.

As a gentle reminder to everyone, please remember the following:

• Insults - Please do not resort to or use them in any way in your posts. Posts should be productive, not destructive.
  • Trolling - Please do not post messages that are purposefully designed to provoke, antagonize, or otherwise elicit a negative emotional response.
  • Agree to Disagree - Be respectful of others' viewpoints even if they are opposite of your own. Discuss disagreements constructively.
  • Flag, Don't Fight - Utilize the Flag Post feature to report possible rules violations, rather than responding to or fighting them.
  • Ignoring - If you feel you simply cannot get along with another community member, please place them on your ignore list.

For related discussions, please see the following threads:

Please also see Dallas Dickinson's reply to the April 27th Community Q&A:

Arymono: When will character transfers be available for everybody?

Dallas Dickinson (Senior Producer, Live Services): We will be rolling out our Character Transfer Service in early summer. First we’ll have some targeted free transfers from/to specific servers, but that will be followed with a broader system where you can either take advantage of free promotional transfers to specific servers or paid transfers to the server of your choice. We know everyone has more questions about character transfer, and we’ll reveal more details closer to the launch date.

Thank you!

Edited by Yvin

From what I've heard, most of the players on the asia pacific servers were actually players on north american or european servers. Some of them transferred their characters and other decided to start fresh. Those infos combined to the low number of servers (3) make me conclude that their servers won't dry up in 2 months. We'll see, I guess.

That's correct most off us played on the USA servers and have only just had character transfers. Some of us re-rolled. I was one that re-rolled and I;m still having lots of fun playing the game.

Edited by RicoFrost

Quote: Originally Posted by Kthx

Torstatus is not anecdotal, in fact it is the most representative data there is. One just has to understand what it represents, which is a relative rating of server load (Full, Very Heavy, Heavy, Standard, Light) – no more, no less. But it's definitely data. In what way is it anecdotal?

Definition of anecdotal:

based on personal observation, case study reports, or random investigations rather than systematic scientific evaluation: anecdotal evidence.

I don't want to reroll on another server. All time time I spent on my legacy will feel like a waste. I also don't want to pay for transfers, it's feeding Bioware's greedy incentives. I don't want to play on a server that's dead.

In fact, I'll probably unsub because any way I can stop paying Bioware for feeding me ******** is ideal. Or they can finally stop feeding me ********

I don't want to reroll on another server. All time time I spent on my legacy will feel like a waste. I also don't want to pay for transfers, it's feeding Bioware's greedy incentives. I don't want to play on a server that's dead.

In fact, I'll probably unsub because any way I can stop paying Bioware for feeding me ******** is ideal. Or they can finally stop feeding me ********

I guess you don't play the game because you enjoy it then :) clearly as you view this game as a waste of time then you should unsub. If it will make you happy than you should. If you don't want to play on a dead server and your not willing to adapt to the situation by re-rolling because you feel its a waste then you should unsub.

I have re-rolled may times myself, I have changed servers about 4 times now but it doesn't bother me because i actually enjoy the game very much.

Edited by RicoFrost

Definition of anecdotal: based on personal observation, case study reports, or random investigations rather than systematic scientific evaluation: anecdotal evidence.

Right, and by that definition torstatus.net is not anecdotal evidence.

- It is clearly not personal observation, it is a continuous, periodic sampling from SWTOR's server status

- It is not a case study: It covers all servers and goes back 60 days in time

- It is not random, it is a systematic sample of server load (Light/Standard/Heavy/Very Heavy/Full)

All I can say is that after getting a char to 50, I decided to take a week break. Now I cannot seem to play longer than 10-20 minutes before losing interest in leveling alt, and I have no interest in doing anything with my level 50. I rather continue playing "Legends of Grimrock", or GW2 beta.

Those numbers mean nothing, a Light server can have 1 player or a few hundred, it's still classed as Light, you can have 10x Standard servers that just went standard by 10 people over light yet you would give them a much higher value than Light.

This is exactly why I said it provides "a relative rating of server load, no more no less" (emphasis added). A Standard server has more players than Light. That's all you know, you don't know by how many. I have never said anything else.

But seeing as you are the expert here, what number of player is required to go from Light to Standard or Standard to Heavy, please do tell, I'm quite sure there is a number of websites that would love to know exactly what they represent to provide factual numbers instead of pure guesswork which Torstatus is.

Nobody knows what the thresholds are (except EA/BioWare) nor have I ever claimed such a thing. However, a server shown with a population of "Heavy" has a higher population than one that shows "Standard" (assuming BioWare is no longer changing the server caps). Moreover, if the average population load across all servers is trending upwards (as it is currently doing on U.S. and European servers), then it follows that the average number of concurrent players is increasing.

Your arguments would be a lot more convincing if you addressed what I have actually have said, vs. what you think I've said.

Edited by Kthx

Releasing a very buggy boring and broken game that is a super grind with bad graphics will make servers into ghost towns in about 2-3 months once everyone catches on to the developers/games poor quality.

Add to it patch after patch of bugs and broken content and you have another fail mmo.

this games classes are poorly balanced to AND pvps a boring joke......just sayin

Releasing a very buggy boring and broken game that is a super grind with bad graphics will make servers into ghost towns in about 2-3 months once everyone catches on to the developers/games poor quality.

Um, you may want to check your calendar, but it has already been four months, and SWTOR is still here.

Add to it patch after patch of bugs and broken content and you have another fail mmo.

this games classes are poorly balanced to AND pvps a boring joke......just sayin

Bad graphics??? dam with everything on high and AAX8 this game looks sweet. Maybe you should turn the settings up.

That's a shame you find the story lines boring, I find them very entertaining, I like the warrior one having to turn a jedi was awesome, the assassin one was very good also. I'm now doing the agent story line and its very interesting to see it from a point of view we have never really seen.

I see patch after patch as them fixing things, that's a good thing in my eyes. People will whinge if there is a patch and people will whinge if there is no patch for fix things.

Edited by RicoFrost

*snip* Your arguments would be a lot more convincing if you addressed what I have actually have said, vs. what you think I've said.

That's the thing though, you can't tell if 300 players on a full server decided to go play their old mains on some other servers for a while, the full server is still full and a few low might tip over to standard because of it. The flaws of using the Low/Medium/Heavy/Very Heavy/Full are many and can be very deceiving, without actual numbers you can only guess if the population has gone down or up.

For my server I'm sure that the population has gone down, while 1.2 gave a little life back to it for a week or two it's since then become even less populated than before, anecdotal I know but many servers are like that so either there are a massive amount of players subscribing without actually playing or the numbers are down, I'm realistic enough to put my money on the latter.

Server pop will continue to change regardless if Bioware attempts to prevent it or not. It's the nature of the beast. I can't speak for everyone but I unsubbed basically on the hopes of another game but returned recently. I assume people leave and return for various reasons and will continue to do so.

Just out of interest, could I ask what you found boring about the game?

Also what game will you play now that you don't play this?

Checking out Tribes at the moment. Been fun for a bit. Less time investment required and more returns.

All I can say is that after getting a char to 50, I decided to take a week break. Now I cannot seem to play longer than 10-20 minutes before losing interest in leveling alt, and I have no interest in doing anything with my level 50. I rather continue playing "Legends of Grimrock", or GW2 beta.

You must be really bored if you want to play that. :/

yeap same problem here m8 after getting char to 50 and make him full gear columi i try ti lv up another char but i loose interest after 20-30 min.and realy there is nothing to do not even farming cose no money in proffesions only dailies dailies dailies.:(

Lol sssh! You'll wake the "dumbledores". :D

Server pop will continue to change regardless if Bioware attempts to prevent it or not. It's the nature of the beast. I can't speak for everyone but I unsubbed basically on the hopes of another game but returned recently. I assume people leave and return for various reasons and will continue to do so.

And if the free 30 days are up and it can't hold on to people it will take another hit to the chin. Heres hoping a knockout blow or TKO isn't inc.! :o

And if the free 30 days are up and it can't hold on to people it will take another hit to the chin. Heres hoping a knockout blow or TKO isn't inc.! :o

You don't enjoy the game, so you want it to fail. That about summarizes what is wrong with the SWTOR community.

Edited by Kthx