Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

[Guide/Video] Min-Maxing DPS, Stat / Gear Check

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes > Shadow / Assassin
[Guide/Video] Min-Maxing DPS, Stat / Gear Check

Xinika
05.31.2013 , 03:16 AM | #1
(New) 1/26/2015: PvP Update
This update points the scope mainly at Ranked PvP
\\
Deception / Infiltration (Click for Video)
Gearing & Stats Priority
  • Accuracy is mandatory as this spec more than the others since it has more emphasis on melee attacks than the other specs without the tank accuracy benefits. You'll need at least 95% / 105% (Force) as this spec.
  • 23 - 25% Critical Strike Rating.
  • Absolutely no Alacrity
  • Must at least hit 75% Surge
  • Rest in Power
  • Power / Main Stat Relics
  • Resolve Augments (Makes it easier to hit the necessary crit without sacrificing enhancements / mods)
Refer to this thread for feedback on the spec.
\\
Hatred / Serenity (Click for Video)
Gearing & Stats Priority
  • Accuracy is important, but unlike Deception you can get away with some missed hits. Roughly 94 - 95% would be all that is needed.
  • 22 - 24% Critical Strike Rating.
  • 2-3% Alacrity
  • 68-70% Surge
  • Rest in Power
  • Resolve Augments (Makes it easier to hit the necessary crit without sacrificing enhancements / mods)
\\
Darkness / Kinetic Combat (Click for Video)
Gearing & Stats Priority
  • Accuracy is not mandatory as this spec since it receives the accuracy tank bonus. It is not recommend to use any accuracy pieces for this spec.
  • Absolutely no Crit
  • Absolutely no Alacrity
  • Must at least hit 75% Surge
  • All in Power (Due to Auto-Crits and the high uptime on Shock, Darkness' burst potential benefits greatly from stacking as much Power / Surge as possible)
  • Requires A Shield instead of a Power Generator
  • Resolve Augments (Makes it easier to hit the necessary crit without sacrificing enhancements / mods) or Power Augments for the all-burst style
  • Note that in 3.1, Alacrity may become more important due to Discharge changes.

2015 Update
Credit to Exilove for Deception / Infiltration and Aelanis for Hatred / Serenity updates

Disclaimer
The following information below is geared toward maximum PvE output.

Deception / Infiltration
Gearing & Stats Priority
  • Must Have Accuracy: As close to 759 accuracy rating as possible.
  • 0 Alacrity
  • 68-77% Surge
  • 180-220 Critical Rating (Got less attractive, not sure about the values)
  • All other secondary stats in Power
  • Must Have Augments: Willpower (Resolve)
  • Relics: Serendipitous Assault & Focused Retribution
  • Alternate Relic: Boundless Ages
  • Set bonus: 6 piece Stalkerís
  • Surging Charge

Gearing Overview
  • Reaching the Accuracy cap should be your highest priority
  • At this point in time Alacrity is not advised until you start hitting massive Surge Diminishing Returns (over 74%, which you wonít reach for a while with the accuracy requirement). It doesnít reduce the cooldown of your Force Cloak and therefore completely mucks up your Recklessness/Blackout synergy.
  • Crit rating isnít that amazing anymore, Iím unsure of the exact values that would be wishful. But Iíd personally stay around the ~180-220 crit rating right now.
  • Choice of relics should be made on a fight-to-fight basis. Serendipitous Assault and Focused Retribution will give you a greater overall damage increase, while Boundless Ages will allow you to focus your burst into a short window for fights with tight burn phases
  • Getting your set bonus as quickly as possible is highly recommended. It will increase your dps substantially enough that having lower item level armorings with the set bonus is still a better option than higher item level armorings without it.

Hatred / Serenity
Gearing & Stats Priority
  • Must Have Accuracy: As close to 759 accuracy rating as possible.
  • 1.5-3.1% Alacrity (111 to 240 Rating)
  • 64-69% Surge (222 to 360 Rating)
  • 150-250 Critical Rating (156 in Resurrected, 252 in Revanite)
  • All other secondary stats in Power
  • Must Have Augments: Willpower (Resolve)
  • Relics: Serendipitous Assault & Focused Retribution
  • Alternate Relic: Boundless Ages
  • Set bonus: 6 piece new Stalkerís
  • Lightning Charge

Gearing Overview
  • Reaching the Accuracy cap should be your highest priority
  • Due to nasty diminishing returns beyond the first 250 points of Surge, Alacrity is going to be very important in 3.0, especially since it makes your periodic effects tick through faster. The split will likely end up being a 3:2 Surge:Alacrity ratio through most of 3.X, though current Best in Slot looks like a 2:2 ratio for 192 and 198 gear levels.
  • Critical rating fell vastly in usefulness in 3.0. Thrash is down 20% of its old Surge boost, our periodic effects and Death Field, though we picked up 30% on Assassinate. A smaller portion of our overall damage now has a Surge boost, but that doesnít make the stat obsolete.
  • Choice of relics should be made on a fight-to-fight basis. Serendipitous Assault and Focused Retribution will give you a greater overall damage increase, while Boundless Ages will allow you to focus your burst into a short window for fights with tight burn phases
  • Getting your set bonus as quickly as possible is highly recommended. It will increase your DPS substantially enough that having lower item level armorings with the set bonus is still a better option than higher item level armorings without it.
  • Despite the old 4 piece giving a substantial boost to the critical chance of a move used quite often, it is not as valuable, even with the new 2 piece, as the full new set bonus. You can PM Aelanis on the forums for these calculations.

2014 Guides
Spoiler

2013 Guides
Spoiler
Assassin Representative
Aeonneta | Shinarika | Semjase
Guides - Videos - Action

cycao
05.31.2013 , 06:19 AM | #2
I have been stacking power though I did want to try switching out my power augs for willpower but probably wont seeing I just don't care anymore.

Also should try 0/23/23 if you havn't. Pretty fun spec if you want to play a madness type hybrid.

lazerxxx
05.31.2013 , 08:18 AM | #3
That's my gear at the moment: http://swtor.askmrrobot.com/characte...0-bf7573727f65

Any advice? I haven't logged in since patch therefore I'm still stacking power proc relics. Any advice on the second relic is also appreciated. My greatest concern is that my accuracy is to high. Is that true?

Xinika
05.31.2013 , 09:44 AM | #4
Quote: Originally Posted by cycao View Post
I have been stacking power though I did want to try switching out my power augs for willpower but probably wont seeing I just don't care anymore.

Also should try 0/23/23 if you havn't. Pretty fun spec if you want to play a madness type hybrid.
Cycao, please show me the spec. You've got me really darn curious now...

Quote: Originally Posted by lazerxxx View Post
That's my gear at the moment: http://swtor.askmrrobot.com/characte...0-bf7573727f65

Any advice? I haven't logged in since patch therefore I'm still stacking power proc relics. Any advice on the second relic is also appreciated. My greatest concern is that my accuracy is to high. Is that true?
Your accuracy is too high and your crit is 0.50% too low. You'll also need to increase your surge.
Assassin Representative
Guides - Videos - Action

cycao
05.31.2013 , 10:34 AM | #5
This is what I run when I am not messing arund with deception.

Basically a similar hybrid I ran prior to 2.0 where you go into the madness tree to get deathmark but now that UK has been replaced lingering nightmares so you could use those points elsewhere like maybe grabbing static cling. You also get the force management and your burst back with getting maul while grabbing low slash for the extra CC since madness lost instant WW.

I actually feel I can put more pressure on healers with this build and my mauls are still hitting around 7k, thrash is hitting hard and you just keep the dot's rolling.

RankorSSGS
05.31.2013 , 03:58 PM | #6
I personally run 0/18/28 when I'm in a Madness mood, just personal preference.

Anyway, very well done as always Shin. I do question you taking Electric Execution over Torment, other than that I would agree with pretty much everything here. It's become less necessary since your return, but I've also been thinking of writing up a guide. Just making up my mind whether or not it would be worth the effort, since you seem to be covering things nicely on your own.

DarkSyn
06.01.2013 , 04:15 PM | #7
awesome video and info this answered alot of my questions on balancing my stats out and that build is fun to play also.

lazerxxx
06.02.2013 , 08:35 AM | #8
I fiddled around with a few enhancements, got my conqueror offhand and installed the matrix cube.
That's how it looks now: http://swtor.askmrrobot.com/characte...0-bf7573727f65

Xinika
06.03.2013 , 12:03 PM | #9
Quote: Originally Posted by cycao View Post
This is what I run when I am not messing arund with deception.

Basically a similar hybrid I ran prior to 2.0 where you go into the madness tree to get deathmark but now that UK has been replaced lingering nightmares so you could use those points elsewhere like maybe grabbing static cling. You also get the force management and your burst back with getting maul while grabbing low slash for the extra CC since madness lost instant WW.

I actually feel I can put more pressure on healers with this build and my mauls are still hitting around 7k, thrash is hitting hard and you just keep the dot's rolling.
Cycao, thanks. I've come up with a new hybrid that's very high in DPS due to what you showed me here.

Quote: Originally Posted by lazerxxx View Post
I fiddled around with a few enhancements, got my conqueror offhand and installed the matrix cube.
That's how it looks now: http://swtor.askmrrobot.com/characte...0-bf7573727f65
Matrix Cube is actually legit. Though, it won't be that way forever. (I'm using one in-game atm)

Quote: Originally Posted by RankorSSGS View Post
I personally run 0/18/28 when I'm in a Madness mood, just personal preference.

Anyway, very well done as always Shin. I do question you taking Electric Execution over Torment, other than that I would agree with pretty much everything here. It's become less necessary since your return, but I've also been thinking of writing up a guide. Just making up my mind whether or not it would be worth the effort, since you seem to be covering things nicely on your own.
Can't see why more guides / help will be a bad thing. Get it done imo. Community could always use some more benevolence.
Assassin Representative
Guides - Videos - Action

MagikFingerz
06.06.2013 , 11:46 AM | #10
Much appreciated guide, thanks for this!

The only thing you could add is how to get the target enhancements, ie. which gear pieces you have to buy that contain them.

EDIT: I see that that info is listed in the links provided, but you could always just state which of the gear is cheapest for guide completeness.
55's: Sage - Caranx | Sentinel - Wu'Chi Gunslinger - Jhaxx | Commando - Chronix
Assassin - Thoraxx | Juggernaut - Haxxion Operative - Axihn | PowerTech - Drexxin

<55's: Shadow - Nexxon | Guardian - Daexion Scoundrel - Jhaxara | Vanguard - Chronox
Sorcerer - Thoraxa | Marauder - Raxxon Sniper - Draxxon | Mercenary - Laranxa