Arbitrary loss of affection points

Arodin

Anyone else feel that affection points are lost very randomly. I've been playing Imperial Agent, and I can't figure out why so many conversation choices loses a point with Kaliyo. Points seem to be dropped for the most mundane, conversational things. It's like literally saying "hello" the wrong way can make you lose a point.

I guess since it's only one point, it's not a big deal. Maybe because it's only one point at a time, Bioware writers felt like they have to put a lot of situations for those -1 to show up in order for them to ever add up to anything. But it's like this nagging annoying thing to see that little -1 pop up all the time for no good real reason.

Nothing arbitrary about it.

she likes excitement, action, messing with weaklings and taking care of yourself over others (and flirting with women who are not Temple or Watcher Two) and messing with the empire.

She dislikes being helpfull, altruism, empire and servitude/loyalty.

I absolutely love that companions have a mind of their own. they dont go by light side/dark side but they all have their own personalities, like pride, power etc. It made me feel as if i was getting to know them better the longer i had them around. You can buy them off with presents eventually if the one you like most hates you ( just like irl ).

Yeah it bugged me too. It's not a big deal in terms of overall affection as you'd need to do it 15+ times to negate a good reaction but it did get on my nerves as a Trooper having to constantly talk like I had a stick up my *** in order to make my healer companion like me.

OH gosh... :( I don't like the sound of that. Being an rp player, I planned the character to be highly defiant, headstrong and even immature if the moment called for it... And I naturally like it more when more all of my companion characters like me, so this is going to be a bit of a problem I have to overcome...

OH gosh... :( I don't like the sound of that. Being an rp player, I planned the character to be highly defiant, headstrong and even immature if the moment called for it... And I naturally like it more when more all of my companion characters like me, so this is going to be a bit of a problem I have to overcome...

As a roleplayer you should understand and appreciate that being a highly defiant, headstrong and even immature character will not result in everybody liking you.

As stated above, if you go into the codex you can see what kind of things each of the companions like or dislike.

If you are worried about losing points with a companion while RPing the way you want, just make sure to dismiss the companion before you enter into any conversations. You won't gain anything from it, but you won't lose any points either.

Yeah it really depends on the complexity of the character. Some are really hard to understand, others are quite the simpletons...

When playing eg the inquisitor class, you'll get Khem Val as a companion. You won't find it difficult to understand him, during conversations it's most of the times:

'Option to threaten/insult/mock/kill NPC: Khem Val likes^^...

'Other options: Khem Val is more like FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUU..

So probably your companion is bit more nuanced...

You may have done this already, and it's only a half help I suppose, but I found the codex entries for each character helpful. It has a detailed list of what the companions like and don't like.

Nothing arbitrary about it.

she likes excitement, action, messing with weaklings and taking care of yourself over others (and flirting with women who are not Temple or Watcher Two) and messing with the empire.

She dislikes being helpfull, altruism, empire and servitude/loyalty.

Actually, I didn't know that. Thanks! This is helpful. I think most of my inexplicable -1 were from her dislike of the empire, since I've been playing him as the Empire's loyal man. Strange that she dislikes the empire even though she's working for them, but I guess for her it's just about money.