Oil Slick

AwesumPossum

It doesn't give me the feeling like it should be a final talent, it just looks like it belongs in tier 4 or even 3.

Is it just me or am I missing something about it which makes it great?

It seems like 20% damage reduction for 18 seconds is the good part about it. That's pretty dang powerful (if used properly).

It seems like 20% damage reduction for 18 seconds is the good part about it. That's pretty dang powerful (if used properly).

hmm yea, too bad you couldn't light the oil on fire for a little bit of aoe damage as well. I guess ill have to wait and see how it goes for me.

hmm yea, too bad you couldn't light the oil on fire for a little bit of aoe damage as well. I guess ill have to wait and see how it goes for me.

I agree...WTH is this flamethrower for if I can't light the oil on fire? lol It would be awesome.

It doesn't give me the feeling like it should be a final talent, it just looks like it belongs in tier 4 or even 3.

It is in the third tier.. perhaps you missread in some way ?

It seems like 20% damage reduction for 18 seconds is the good part about it. That's pretty dang powerful (if used properly)

You are misstaken im afraid. Oil slick dont reduce dmg taken at all, it only lowers the targets accuracy. If you are unlucky the mobs can still hit every strike, thus neglecting the effect.

Ummm. Oil Slick isn't a final talent.

Tier three 1 point.

I agree, if you flame sweep when in the oil slick, it should boost ur flame sweep damage by 10% or something. That would make it a great early aoe aggro getter.

Aoe agro isnt a problem, we have tools for that already. Flamethrower, death from above, flame sweep, explosive dart. Its fine really.

You are misstaken im afraid. Oil slick dont reduce dmg taken at all, it only lowers the targets accuracy. If you are unlucky the mobs can still hit every strike, thus neglecting the effect.

If I have 1 mob attacking me, and I lower it's chance to hit me by 20%, I take 20% less damage on average (depending on RNG). It may not be exactly 20% in every case. But over a long enough period of time, it will average out to 20% damage reduction.

You can insert any number of mobs into that statement, and the rest holds true, unless there's a cap on the number of mobs affected by Oil Slick.

Edited by Wapner

If I have 1 mob attacking me, and I lower it's chance to hit me by 20%, I take 20% less damage on average (depending on RNG). It may not be exactly 20% in every case. But over a long enough period of time, it will average out to 20% damage reduction.

You can insert any number of mobs into that statement, and the rest holds true, unless there's a cap on the number of mobs affected by Oil Slick.

When talking about Dmg reduction its generally referd to talents like Energy shield that gives a flat 20% reduced dmg taken.

Oil slick is not referd to as a dmg reduction talent. If the mob dont miss you will take full dmg during the duration of oil slick, thus all dmg taken. Secondly when the mob miss the dmg havent been reduced but completly avoided. Avoidance and dmg reduction are 2 seperate things.

You generally never talk about dmg reduction "on average"... if you do you will be missunderstod almost every time by players with past MMO experience in tanking.

It is in the third tier.. perhaps you missread in some way ?

ya... well I posted this while looking at a previous build talent calculator at work... DERP! on my part haha!

Edited by AwesumPossum

When talking about Dmg reduction its generally referd to talents like Energy shield that gives a flat 20% reduced dmg taken.

Oil slick is not referd to as a dmg reduction talent. If the mob dont miss you will take full dmg during the duration of oil slick, thus all dmg taken. Secondly when the mob miss the dmg havent been reduced but completly avoided. Avoidance and dmg reduction are 2 seperate things.

You generally never talk about dmg reduction "on average"... if you do you will be missunderstod almost every time by players with past MMO experience in tanking.

I actually understood him perfectly.

Reducing accuracy=reducing the amount of damage you receive. What would you classify it as? It's not a damage talent. It's not a crowd control talent. It reduces accuracy. Accuracy is the first check in the path to damage mitigation.

Maths included below. I win.

Baseline DR/Shield/Avoidance

The provided calculations all assume Level 50 Premium armor values. The BAV (Base Armor Value) is representative of a full unmodded suit of armor.

Modified Armor Value (MAV)

(BAV Heavy 3601)*(Stance 1.6) or 3601*1.6 = 5761.6

Base Armor DR (BADR) = 34.78%

Modified Base Armor DR

TOR handles passive skill bonuses additively and NOT multiplicatively so let's plug in current DR passive skills:

(BADR 34.78%) + (Stance 6%) = 40.78%

Resistance: Elemental/Internal DR

(Stance 6%) + (Dark Blood 4%) = 10%

Situational Modifiers

These are situational modifiers from abilities that directly affect DR or damage taken. The effects are longer or equal to the CD so they can be applied constantly but are situational as not ALL targets will be under their influence at ALL times.

For the Warrior this is Sonic Barrior and at present its value is unknown (TBA)

Shield Chance

(Premium Shield Base 20%) + (Stance 15%) + (Shield Specialization 4%) = 39%

Shield Absorption

For purposes of simplicity we are going to assume a AbsorptionRating of 0.

(Premium Shield Base 20%) = 20%

Avoidance: Ranged Deflection & Melee Parry

For simplicities sake we're going to assume a base DFR of 100.

SW: (Base 5%) + (Guard Stance 6%) + (Blade Barricade 6%) =17% or 22% w/Smash

Mean Mitigation

Mean Mitigation is the average mitigation you have after factoring DR, Avoidance and Shield Chance/Absorption. This gives you the average (or mean) mitigation you have. To find your Mean Mitigation use the following process:

A=Avoidance

B=Shield Chance

C=Shield Absorption

D=MBADR

{[((100-A)*B)*(1-C)]*(1-D)} + {[(100-A)-((100-A)*B)]*(1-D)} = T

100-T= Mean Mitigation

Example:

A= 22 <<-- Do Not Decimal

B= 0.39

C= 0.2

D= 0.4078

{[((100-22)*0.39)*(1-0.2)]*(1-0.4078)} + {[(100-22)-((100-22)*0.39)]*(1-0.4078)} = 39.86

100-45.32= 54.68% Mean Mitigation Baseline

Source: http://blackrabbit2999.blogspot.com/2011/12/swtor-warrior-tanking-guide.html

TLDR: Reducing an enemy's Accuracy is part of damage mitigation. /thread

Edited by Sykomyke

The OP seemed to understand it almost immediately...

Lowering the chance you have to be hit (whether that's a buff on you or debuff on your attacker) is a direct increase to effective health via reducing the incoming damage. I've never ran into anyone who misunderstood that concept. When I used to post on Elitist Jerks and Tankspot, average damage reduction based on cooldown abilities was not at all misunderstood...in fact it was worked into the forumlae to help more accurately calculate total effective health.

BTW, I'm not new to the MMO or tanking scene, as you seem to be implying. :) I've been extremely active in many tank theorycrafting communities for going on 8ish years now, and have been a tank nearly the entirety of my MMO experience.

Edited by Wapner

remember we also get a bonus if over 100% accuracy, increased armor penetration or some such.

oil slick could effectively negate that sort of thing as well, at least in a pvp setting since i dont know if mobs have over 100% accuarcy (would be interesting if elite/boss mobs did).

so its more than just making the enemy miss 1 in 5 -on average-