"PVP" or "Lets Stunlock the sentinel to kingdom come"

irridis

Is it me or are stunlocks truly a void into which any PVP fun goes into? I do not have this same issue on my Sage nor on the juggernaut but for some reason the sentinel feels the stuns more. Let's not even get started on getting damaged while fully stunned. Sorry for venting but this game is going from being fun to being truly irritating and I do not pay to be irritated.

Is it me or are stunlocks truly a void into which any PVP fun goes into? I do not have this same issue on my Sage nor on the juggernaut but for some reason the sentinel feels the stuns more. Let's not even get started on getting damaged while fully stunned. Sorry for venting but this game is going from being fun to being truly irritating and I do not pay to be irritated.

Best advice I can give, is to try playing your Sentinel as more of a skirmisher than a front-line fighter. Engage quickly, do a lot of damage, and slip away before they can retaliate to their full extent. Combat is an excellent spec for this, as is Focus. Both for different reasons.

Combat gives you nice damage burst through procs on bladestorm and dispatch, which can result in massive single target damage, especially on squishier targets like an op or sorc.

And focus Gives you an auto-crit on Force Sweep, which you don't want to use without Zen giving you 3 stacks of singularity, or after using force exhaustion to get 3 stacks of singularity. the auto-crit proc lasts 20 seconds, so don't feel you have to use it immediately. the entire point of that proc is to only use it with 3 stacks of singularity. Pile exhaustion on top of a massive sweep, maybe a zealous strike and blade storm, then find a way to disengage and LOS them, especially if they're ranged. This is where the real fun begins.

If you piss them off enough, they'll actually leave their team to chase you down. you notice this? use force camo and run back through them as they come around the corner to misdirect and confuse them. while they're looking for you, Zealous leap on their backs and punish them again. Once again, if they're still not dead yet, disengage and find another opportunity. Situational awareness is key to playing a sentinel well in PVP. If you just charge into a mob of enemies and stay there focusing on one target (unless you've a tank guarding you/watching your back, keeping enemies from maxing their damage on you and distracting them) you're going to get stunlocked and ganked very quickly, and very often. You may be a melee DPS, but you're most definitely not a front line fighter in most situations. You have to be more opportunistic, and aggressive when you see an opening.

Also, watch what your enemies are doing. learn their class. If you see them throw their CC's on someone else, move in and punish them for it. Leg slash them so you and any allies in the area can crush them while they try in vain to escape.

Just a few pointers from my experiences playing a sentinel in PVP. Nowhere near a be all end all guide on how2play.

Pvp is one stunlock fest. I go in with my shadow, with 1 skill to resist damage and 1 cc breaker. I target a sorcerer, he zaps me. I wait till I can move, I run to him, I get hit with smash along the way, he bubbles up and heals himself nice and pretty while I'm stunned. An operative starts tearing into me while stunning me after smash ends, I use my cc breaker. I get half if not 2/3rds of my health taken out while being unable to do a single thing. Then I get stunned half a second after my resolve bar is full and has just begun to go down. Resolve, lol :p

The reason we stunlock Sentinels is because if we don't, we are dead. No other class has the DPS and defensive cooldowns that a Sentinel has. We have to save our stuns to use on you guys instead of spreading them around.

PS: I play a Marauder and am on the receiving end of these stunlocks too.

Edited by Bstr

CC is pretty rampant in the warzones, so you'll just have to get used to it (I think you notice it in melee more than ranged, but you get it plenty there as well). More than likely if you're getting chainstunned for more than a few seconds, you have multiple people targeting you and you probably wouldn't last long anyway. Keep in mind that you have your own CC and reserve it for the times you need it, like when a player is getting low on health, preventing them from hitting defensive powers or medpacks.

CC is pretty rampant in the warzones, so you'll just have to get used to it (I think you notice it in melee more than ranged, but you get it plenty there as well). More than likely if you're getting chainstunned for more than a few seconds, you have multiple people targeting you and you probably wouldn't last long anyway. Keep in mind that you have your own CC and reserve it for the times you need it, like when a player is getting low on health, preventing them from hitting defensive powers or medpacks.

Only thing Sentinels have that can stop that, is Stasis. Which I tend to always save to either interrupt massive damage channels (Series of shots I'm looking at you.) or to do just that. Keep a nearly dead opponent from escaping/healing. Those are the only two strategic uses of stasis outside of huttball.

That said, the thing sentinels DON'T have, is CC.. they have massive damage, very good survivablitiy if their CD's are used properly. are excellent at hit and run tactics. But we have NO CC except stasis, and that's on a comparatively short CD for other classes' CC's, but still agonizingly long compared to many other sentinel abilities. It all comes down to being aware of the current situation, and getting that stasis off at the right time to either get yourself a kill, or allowing a teammate to finish them. Again, as I said above. Hit and run is the name of the game for sentinels. standing in the front will just get you CC'd to death, as you said.

Durandel Here,

Sentinels are insane DPS. You guys are pretty much GOD if you come across another class. They're trying to make sure you can't kill them. Also, you can't control game mechanics. The thing about human nature is that if we can find a flaw in a system or a loophole, we not only us it, we ABUSE it. That's why Operatives are so OverPowered.