Thanks for Malavai Quinn. <3 <3 <3 This is a love thread, haters make your own lol.

Lunafox

I almost wished all of you a Happy Valentines until I realized that it's July and I'm just off in a different world because it happens to be Valentines in the Downton Abbey episode I'm watching. Just saw and heard our Malavai too... excuse me while I go off into a corner and swoon and pretend it's Valentines anyway even though I'm sweating my cute hiney off with this heat.

Returning payer (been back for a couple weeks now) after years on hiatus

When I found out I was going to lose my favorite companion after starting the expansions I lost interest all together, but after learning Quinn was reintroduced (I know I'm late to the party) I powered through to get him back. So happy I came back and got to enjoy the story.

Quinn remains one of my main reasons I keep coming back to this game. <3

When I found out I was going to lose my favorite companion after starting the expansions I lost interest all together, but after learning Quinn was reintroduced (I know I'm late to the party) I powered through to get him back. So happy I came back and got to enjoy the story.

Welcome back! It's always great to meet another Quinnmancer! :D I hope you enjoy the game and you're time on the thread. Feel free to share your screenshots of Quinn and stories too. All good things Quinn are most welcome here. :)

Welcome back! It's always great to meet another Quinnmancer! :D I hope you enjoy the game and you're time on the thread. Feel free to share your screenshots of Quinn and stories too. All good things Quinn are most welcome here. :)

Thanks! Quick question, do you have any idea where/how the name Quinnmancer originated? I've seen it used in this thread, but couldn't quite riddle it out for myself.

Thanks! Quick question, do you have any idea where/how the name Quinnmancer originated? I've seen it used in this thread, but couldn't quite riddle it out for myself.

It's what you'd get when you combine Quinn + romancer...Quinn...mancer.

I do believe, that I have to give credit to one of our 'haters'. They came into our thread to shame and belittle us, and ended up giving us our collective name (quite by accident I'm sure, though they did spell it wrong), and it's also the name of the guild that grew out of our love for Quinn.

Below is the quote where I believe it was first used...so thanks Udoroththefinal LOL. :D

You qinnmancers are so weird

So your ok with wanting to be in a relationship with some who tryed to kill you?

There is no way you can rationalize that unless you have some bizzare case of Stockholm syndrome, the only reason anyone should be reasonably excited about this is if you are looking forward to rectifying the original class stories mistake of not being able to kill him

In a game with weak female romances quinn is still one of the worsts, picking his job over his feelings for you, i actully felt pity for the female SW when she says "but i thought you loved me".

So im happy too that he's back, so i can finally put that traitor where he belongs, 6 feet under.

Edited by Lunafox

I do believe, that I have to give credit to one of our 'haters'. They came into our thread to shame and belittle us, and ended up giving us our collective name (quite by accident I'm sure, though they did spell it wrong), and it's also the name of the guild that grew out of our love for Quinn.

Below is the quote where I believe it was first used...so thanks Udoroththefinal LOL. :D

That explains it! I kept thinking of NecroMANCER and knew that couldn't be it, but I couldn't seem to get my brain to think of any other root word for the second half.

That explains it! I kept thinking of NecroMANCER and knew that couldn't be it, but I couldn't seem to get my brain to think of any other root word for the second half.

Well, I'm glad we managed to sort it. I know how it is when you're wondering about something and the answers just don't seem forthcoming lol. :)

I almost wished all of you a Happy Valentines until I realized that it's July and I'm just off in a different world because it happens to be Valentines in the Downton Abbey episode I'm watching. Just saw and heard our Malavai too... excuse me while I go off into a corner and swoon and pretend it's Valentines anyway even though I'm sweating my cute hiney off with this heat.

Glad to see you've still lost your mind! :D

This post made me smile so much! It's well over a year ago we learned Quinn was returning...I wonder how many others "powered through"? I know I did at the time! Also, welcome to the thread :)

Our Quinnmancers name is a great example of turning a negative into a positive - a hater might have said first however we embraced it. I don't know if "Quinnites" or anything else would have had the same ring to it.

Our Quinnmancers name is a great example of turning a negative into a positive - a hater might have said first however we embraced it. I don't know if "Quinnites" or anything else would have had the same ring to it.

Yeah, I think there's a need for another syllable for the 'nites' suffix to work. For Quinn, it just falls short. It suits the avatar of the other love thread much better.

We're romantic romancers of Quinn...Quinnmancers, that's us.

Quinnmancers was an insult?

Yup, it was indeed meant as hate toward us. It's like, you filthy deranged Quinnmancers...and we're like...you know what? That's catchy. We like. *Declares* From here on forth, we will be known as Quinnmancers! *toots trumpet* :D

It'd be like if someone went to you and said, you awful Vaylineer...and you happened to like the sound of it lol. :p

PS. I just noticed your sig lol. See? It works! :D

Edited by Lunafox

Yup, it was indeed meant as hate toward us. It's like, you filthy deranged Quinnmancers...and we're like...you know what? That's catchy. We like. *Declares* From here on forth, we will be known as Quinnmancers! *toots trumpet* :D

It'd be like if someone went to you and said, you awful Vaylineer...and you happened to like the sound of it lol. :p

It was originally 'Vaylinite' but that sounded like some kind of highly explosive material.

You dirty Quinnmancer you!

It was originally 'Vaylinite' but that sounded like some kind of highly explosive material.

Considering Vaylin's personnality, that was quite fitting.

Vaylineer sounds better though.

So Quinnmancer was an insult :eek:

What i like in that quote is that the person considers Quinn as a romance worse than a girl you can take advantage of just after she lost her father (or she kind of forces you into the relationship if you just try not to be a jerk to her), than a subordinate you can harass, than a personnal slave you can shock several times, than a girl you spend one year chasing after and you can end up killing every person she cares about but still ends up having sex with...

If anyone is suffering from Stockholm syndrom, that'd rather be Jaesa i guess...

But well, to each their own i suppose.

Is it a rite of passage for character appreciation threads to get shamed then? :(

Don't think I've seen one that hasn't, where do they get the energy/motivation ? Is it dumb that I though Quinnmancer referenced Technomancer :o

You dirty Quinnmancer you!

He hee, that's me lol. Like Goreshaga said, given her personality it's fitting :D She's pretty volatile.

Considering Vaylin's personnality, that was quite fitting.

Vaylineer sounds better though.

So Quinnmancer was an insult :eek:

What i like in that quote is that the person considers Quinn as a romance worse than a girl you can take advantage of just after she lost her father (or she kind of forces you into the relationship if you just try not to be a jerk to her), than a subordinate you can harass, than a personnal slave you can shock several times, than a girl you spend one year chasing after and you can end up killing every person she cares about but still ends up having sex with...

If anyone is suffering from Stockholm syndrom, that'd rather be Jaesa i guess...

But well, to each their own i suppose.

I think Vaylineer sounds better too, even if something explosive works :D Oh yeah, there have been quite a few people coming in to let us know they think we're positively mad for loving Quinn and enjoying the romance story. Like you say a lot of the companion stories can be a bit deranged depending on how you look at them, especially Jaesa's, and especially if you 'break her.' Still I think it's an interesting story and what's really frightening is that she goes all stalker-mode on the PC if they romance, but yeah, people are going to see what they want to see. :)

Is it a rite of passage for character appreciation threads to get shamed then? :(

Don't think I've seen one that hasn't, where do they get the energy/motivation ? Is it dumb that I though Quinnmancer referenced Technomancer :o

Oh, I suppose. I don't think there is a single one that didn't have at least one person saying that the fans are insane for liking who they like. We all have our favs and we all have those we don't care for. As for the motivation, well, I suppose people can get passionate about what they love and I hate. I know I do. And no, that wasn't dumb at all, it's kind of cool actually and not one I'd thought of. :)

So I've by no means read the entire thread, but I had read through several posts while I was still a lurker, and I saw a discussion here (and in some reddit threads as well) I thought I'd like to entertain again if anyone is interested.

In simple terms the ultimate question would be:

"Did Malavai actually betray you?"

I've seen people on both sides makes various arguments and I was just curious what others thought. I'll elaborate on my own opinion later if anyone is interested.For reference though, examples of some of the stances I"ve seen others take would be:

NO: He was never loyal to you until after the betrayal, as he was ultimately Baras's agent up to that point

YES: He betrayed you, wanted you to die and Baras to suceed, and now is just sucking up to keep you from killing him.

So I've by no means read the entire thread, but I had read through several posts while I was still a lurker, and I saw a discussion here (and in some reddit threads as well) I thought I'd like to entertain again if anyone is interested.

I've seen people on both sides makes various arguments and I was just curious what others thought. I'll elaborate on my own opinion later if anyone is interested.For reference though, examples of some of the stances I"ve seen others take would be:

NO: He was never loyal to you until after the betrayal, as he was ultimately Baras's agent up to that point

YES: He betrayed you, wanted you to die and Baras to suceed, and now is just sucking up to keep you from killing him.

The way I see it, I believe he actually cared about my SW and was loyal to her, but then Baras forced him to act against her, and rather than doing so overtly, he satisfied his loyalty to both by giving her easy droids to kill. The author of the SW story supports this. Malavai was stuck between a rock and a hard place, and was prepared to sacrifice himself, because he never thought that SW would forgive him.

The long and the short of it, is both. Quinn was written with a duality and it's up to you how you prefer to interpret Quinn's actions. So for most of us who really like Quinn it is*:

Yes: He was loyal to you, but also loyal to Baras and unfortunately his loyalty to Baras took precedence since Baras saved his life.

NO: His betrayal was an act to satisfy his debt to Baras. He wanted you to live and Baras to fail, so he sabotaged the droids to ensure that you would win with the assumption that you would kill him in the process.

While we don't contest the alternate interpretation, it is exhausting the number of people who refuse to acknowledge that ours is also valid. The story, as presented, gives a lot of support for our choice, right down to the codex entry description of Quinn as hating betrayals. And for your reading pleasure, if you haven't read it before, the author's input.

*Everyone has their own variations on this.

Edited by Damask_Rose

I was typing up my opinion as I saw some of y’alls come through. It looks like (unsurprisingly) we are all of similar mindset, at least so far.

So my current opinion would be that Malavai did, undoubtedly commit a betrayal. However, the nature of that betrayal is very specific. He betrayed you in that he betrayed your trust, however, he never betrayed his own ideals or acted in contradiction to his true loyalties.

I think it’s important to acknowledge that while he may have ultimately acted in a logical, and even honorable way, he did do wrong by your character. While I chose to forgive him, I don't think he should just get a free pass.

I do agree with the alternative hypothesis that Quinn knew his droids would fail and expected a suicide mission. As mentioned already, his companion description seems to support his, as well as the fact that he felt the need to be there in person. I don’t imagine someone who is simply scheming to pull one over on you waiting around while you fought for your life. This hypothesis is also the only one that doesn’t seem to contradict all the other attributes ascribed to him.

I don’t see how he could be intelligent if he thought the droids were “totally going to kill you for sure” or what his real motivation would be considering the line: “while other officers are concerned only with climbing through the ranks of the Imperial military, Quinn’s first and only desire is the success of the mission”. He’s also specifically described as not just a bootlick. He clearly has backbone and some code of ethics he adheres to.

Ultimately though, the line Valkorion gives when he calls him "the Smiling Betrayer" really cuts deep because it has the string of truth.

Just for general reference:

Below is Quinn’s companion description for Vanilla (stat notes have been omitted due to relevance):

“Intelligent, distinguished, and competent, Malavai Quinn is the epitome of professionalism within the Imperial military. A career soldier, Quinn has always held the Sith ideals of order and stability in high regards, and views the Republic as a chaotic and unstable threat. From his first day as a cadet, Quinn has been driven by a steadfast belief that he could help lift the Empire to greatness and he is willing to go to great lengths to see that the Empire’s enemies are crushed.

Quinn prides himself on absolute precision in carrying out his orders, and is quick to thrust blame on himself for even the most minor error. However, while other officers are concerned only with climbing through the ranks of the Imperial military, Quinn’s first and only desire is the success of the mission. Yet for all the victories that he has orchestrated for the Empire, Quinn’s career has been stunted by the mysterious circumstances surrounding his participation at the Battle of Druckenwell. While others who have accomplished less than him have ascended to the rank of Admiral, Quinn remains a lowly Lieutenant who continues to serve the greater good of the Empire.

Likes: Patriotism to the Empire, rewarding hard work, honor

Dislikes: Selfishness, betrayal, irrational behavior

And I know Damask Rose already linked it, but I had this typed up already so I left it in:

SW Story Writer on the Topic

Edited by Karameck

The long and the short of it, is both. Quinn was written with a duality and it's up to you how you prefer to interpret Quinn's actions. So for most of us who really like Quinn it is*:

Yes: He was loyal to you, but also loyal to Baras and unfortunately his loyalty to Baras took precedence since Baras saved his life.

NO: His betrayal was an act to satisfy his debt to Baras. He wanted you to live and Baras to fail, so he sabotaged the droids to ensure that you would win with the assumption that you would kill him in the process.

While we don't contest the alternate interpretation, it is exhausting the number of people who refuse to acknowledge that ours is also valid. The story, as presented, gives a lot of support for our choice, right down to the codex entry description of Quinn as hating betrayals. And for your reading pleasure, if you haven't read it before, the author's input.

*Everyone has their own variations on this.

Thank you for that link :) you've just helped me with a character I was unexpectedly really conflicted over :o

Thank you for that link :) you've just helped me with a character I was unexpectedly really conflicted over :o
(Not the person you quoted, just a kindred spirit)

Isn't that a great link? I saved the image the first time I came across it. I think that really adds depth and thought to the character. I love hearing the writer's thoughts on the story.

(Not the person you quoted, just a kindred spirit)

Isn't that a great link? I saved the image the first time I came across it. I think that really adds depth and thought to the character. I love hearing the writer's thoughts on the story.

Absolutely :). I've never had a problem with character's having conflicted loyalties, and I went into the SW storyline pre warned. I expected not to get that attached, but then I found I really warmed to him, which sucked because I knew what was coming :D Despite being warned I took it surprisingly hard. My character may have avoided their ships cockpit for awhile :D

He just always seemed so genuine (in his approach towards the SW), before and after the `betrayal`. The problem for my guy wasn't conflicting loyalties (if any character gets that it would be the SW especially where master's are concerned) but it was the question if there was a friendship/loyalty or if they were just projecting. Conflicting loyalties are acceptable, deluded/ one-sided attachment is not :D

Yes, am still around just have been very busy and been keeping tabs on this thread :)

I know the author of the story had it intended one way but also know that Bioware left it very vague and open to interpretation. I like to think that a Romanced Quinn was forced to do so. I would say that a dominate mind type ability would not be out of the realm of Darth Baras...

But is my take on it.

I'm in the NO camp, as I believe that Quinn is loyal to a fault. It is who he is. Once Baras was gone then Quinn's loyalty went to the Warrior. Then when the Warrior vanished, Quinn was un-anchored (which would have been a very difficult time for him) which is why he spent years looking for the Warrior. Then he was incarcerated. Then Empress Acina came on the scene and Quinn fell back into his old habit of loyalty to a new Master. However, all along the Warrior had precedence in Quinn's loyalty, so when the Warrior reappeared - he was like a flash, back at the Warrior's side again (even changing factions to be with the Warrior). His loyalty to an individual clearly trumped his prior loyalty to the Empire faction. Remember his actual words - “I’m finished with the Empire."

My Fan Fiction take on Quinn's loyalty can be found here.

Edited by AureliaSulis