Is the Sorc/Sage all wrong?

Gorra-Syn

When BW decided to make these classes, did they drop the ball? It just seems to me they should do less force dmg and a little more saber. I know in mmo's its common to see a "glass connon" but I can't help but feel these are the wrong classes for it. Take the Sorc for example, if he's a lightning Sorc, hes all ranged and the LAST thing im worried about is him swinging his saber at me... I mean these guys are Sith and Jedi!! Shouldnt the "glass cannon" roll have gone more to maybe the IA/Smuggler and less to the Sorc/Sage? Im not saying they should be as good with sabers as a Knight/warrior, but I think the whole setup of these 2 classes is all wrong. Is it just me?

Did you forget that Consulars and Inquisitors branch off into Shadow and Assassin? Those are your saber-focused ACs for the two classes. They still shoot lightning and rocks out of their arses though just like the more range-inclined counterparts. Edited by marshalleck

a sorc/sage is a jedi who has progressed heavily in the force at the sacrifice of his lightsaber skills, yes jedi do use lightsabers but they do use force too, so i think it makes sense to make a class that heavy uses force just like warriors heavy use lightsabers.

Did you forget that Consulars and Inquisitors branch off into Shadow and Assassin? Those are your saber-focused ACs for the two classes. They still shoot lightning and rocks out of their arses though just like the more range-inclined counterparts.

shhh.. this is the internet and as such your logic has no place here!

tbh, I would have preferred just a generic Jedi/Sith class and then be allowed to train into the skills from all to fit my playstyle.

Trying to breakdown Jedi/Sith into distinct classes imo was a big mistake.

Virtually all of the force users in SW would be classed as hybrid if they were to be classified into the SWTOR universe.

tbh, I would have preferred just a generic Jedi/Sith class and then be allowed to train into the skills from all to fit my playstyle.

Trying to breakdown Jedi/Sith into distinct classes imo was a big mistake.

Virtually all of the force users in SW would be classed as hybrid if they were to be classified into the SWTOR universe.

I agree.. I know some people say Shadow/Assasin.. but then your stuck with a double bladed saber.. like it or not. The devs said the Sorc was fashioned after Palpatine, but I dont really see it. Take Palpatine and Yoda for example.. both of them are strong with the force, but can REALLY throw down with a saber.. The current Sorc/Sage classes are more like some wizard and not a Sith or Jedi.

I agree.. I know some people say Shadow/Assasin.. but then your stuck with a double bladed saber.. like it or not. The devs said the Sorc was fashioned after Palpatine, but I dont really see it. Take Palpatine and Yoda for example.. both of them are strong with the force, but can REALLY throw down with a saber.. The current Sorc/Sage classes are more like some wizard and not a Sith or Jedi.

Palpatine may have been the genesis of the Sorcerer, but he's also one of the best swordsmen (sabermen?) of his time - the scene in Episode Three where he fights Mace Windu doesn't show it very well, but he kills three Jedi Masters within like, 10 seconds of each other. Granted, the way they filmed it just made them look like losers who couldn't block a blow for crap, but Windu wasn't flanked by amateurs.

I think he's the exception to the norm, is what I'm saying.

A long time ago in beta, one of the Sorc specs was a melee hybrid...Madness, I think? I don't quite recall. At any rate, point is, that changed and it turned into the DoT-heavy tree.

So they used to be more lightsabery. Not any longer.

I agree.

It's OUTRAGEOUS that Sorcerors are only the best at Healing and Ranged DMG, they naturally also should excell at Melee-DPS and Tanking!

Everything else is outrageous lorewise!

Maybe you dont understand me, Im not trying to say they should get better melee. What Im saying is they should have been more melee and less ranged from the get go. I guess more like the SW/JK and less like what they are now.

I have found that the easiest way to try and "understand" these classes, that is to say at a more theoretical level and not at a number-crunching level, is to compare them to their models from the movies/lore. For example, the Sith Assassin, modeled after Darth Maul, when spec'd in the lightsaber tree, is an expert duelist.

I have found that the easiest way to try and "understand" these classes, that is to say at a more theoretical level and not at a number-crunching level, is to compare them to their models from the movies/lore. For example, the Sith Assassin, modeled after Darth Maul, when spec'd in the lightsaber tree, is an expert duelist.

And the Palpatine and Yoda models from the original trilogy mesh just fine with the sage/sorc. It's only when you count the prequel lightsaber duelling crap that the issue of using those as comparisons becomes muddied. We didn't even know either of them HAD lightsabers til the prequel movies.

Jedi and Sith aren't alpha classes in this game. There's a reason that they split the Jedi into four separate advanced classes. You can't be great at ranged DPS, healing, and melee DPS...that's just not fair.

If they did what you're advocating, and made Sorcerers/Sages a strong melee class with some force powers, how is that any different from a Shadow or a Focus-spec Jedi Knight?