Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Is this the only MMO in history to not release a new class?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Is this the only MMO in history to not release a new class?

CaptainObvius
06.25.2019 , 11:28 PM | #1
I mean I am coming back to the game after a few years and just WoW. Still no new classes? Not even 1?

I think I suggested a long time ago I would have love to seen a pet class added.

Imperials:
Droid Engineer

Republics:
Animal Handler (Nerf herder!)

But I mean I'm sure there's plenty of others just... wow. Same classes for 7 years?

SaerethDL
06.25.2019 , 11:33 PM | #2
Tera kasi would be cool as well.
Get a FREE server transfer, FREE 7 days subscription, FREE inventory slot upgrade and other FREE goodies! CLICK HERE update* if you use my referral link (as a subscriber) and are on Satele Shan send me a PM with the referral name you used and I will give you 1 Million Credits or more to get you started!

UmbralSpirit
06.25.2019 , 11:36 PM | #3
Not the only one, pretty sure STO still only has Tactical, Engineering and Science to choose from.

Quote: Originally Posted by SaerethDL View Post
Tera kasi would be cool as well.
I'd kill to have the ability to UnarmedSpin all those damn skytroopers in kotfe/et.

Phazonfreak
06.25.2019 , 11:43 PM | #4
It might be. And the chances for completely new classes for rep and imp side are getting slimmer and slimmer, due to the amount of dialogue writing and voice over work that would be required. And that would be on top of all the core requisites like class design, mechanics and visuals.

It was more feasible back in the day when the game was still popular and EA poured more money into its development. I think the last chance passed when KOTFE and KOTET were released and were not as successful as they intended them to be.

CaptainObvius
06.26.2019 , 12:08 AM | #5
Quote: Originally Posted by Phazonfreak View Post
It might be. And the chances for completely new classes for rep and imp side are getting slimmer and slimmer, due to the amount of dialogue writing and voice over work that would be required. And that would be on top of all the core requisites like class design, mechanics and visuals.

It was more feasible back in the day when the game was still popular and EA poured more money into its development. I think the last chance passed when KOTFE and KOTET were released and were not as successful as they intended them to be.
Unfortunately I agree with you.

Sad cause a new class would have added a lot. I'd actually still enjoy a new class even if it didn't get a fancy story from 1-60 and just run em starting at 65 or something.

But yah it's probably too late. Oh well.

CaptainObvius
06.26.2019 , 12:10 AM | #6
Quote: Originally Posted by UmbralSpirit View Post
Not the only one, pretty sure STO still only has Tactical, Engineering and Science to choose from.

I'd kill to have the ability to UnarmedSpin all those damn skytroopers in kotfe/et.
OK I think ya got me there. STO haha I forgot that was even a game.

Anarchy Online had an extremely rough launch and didn't pull near the numbers it could have. But even they added new classes to that game. Amazing how many 100's of millions into this game and still the same 4 classes.

Really wish they woulda pushed for 1 more class with a tank and heal spec for pet class.

DarthCasus
06.26.2019 , 01:01 AM | #7
You would think with the narrative plunge they took with the 'Outlander' shtick, they'd have taken the chance to introduce a brand new character from Zakuul with a shorter campaign that eventually lines up with siding with either Empire or Republic or a class with a narrative taking place from SoR onwards. They STILL have the chance of doing so since the galaxy has been shaken up more or less, so someone being a big shot from X could work.

I just would like some new variance, it's been a whole 7+ years and more than 2 since any somewhat significant changes made to combat.
Quote: Originally Posted by DragonTora View Post
ur being the "leet" one by letting the internet raise ur children and I would flash the bird to u if i could noob.
Quote: Originally Posted by BarrinMarshal
I know your part of the "Forum Apologist Five" group but stop

MorseGod
06.26.2019 , 04:43 AM | #8
When games release new classes, the trend is for the new class to be outrageously overpowered compared to other classes. I dread to think what kind of game-breaking imbalances Bioware would introduce with a new class, given the limited resources they dedicate to the game already.
Guildmaster, Help (Star Forge)
Was this post helpful? Please click my referral link.

TonyTricicolo
06.26.2019 , 05:22 AM | #9
Simply put, the guys who came up with the class structure are long since gone. The new iteration of the team has to deal with the giant bowl of spaghetti they left them with. With low resources and money allotted, their time is spent trying to keep the game alive and creating a new class isn't a priority.

edit: With companions being a feature, a pet based class(droid engineer/animal handler) is obsolete.
STRYDER SWG Sunrunner/SWGLegends
TONY NOVA SWTOR Shadowlands/Star Forge
Referral Link: http://www.swtor.com/r/vNnj3G

merovejec
06.26.2019 , 05:26 AM | #10
A new class would require a full new story so I dont see that coming any time soon.
Merovejec
7 days of being a sub, try it! Refferal Link
Achievements 5.10 68815