Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Progression Double-Monetized in 6.0?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Progression Double-Monetized in 6.0?

FlatTax
06.15.2019 , 09:48 PM | #21
The short answer is BioWare needs to de-monetize gearing and progression for subscribers.

MacCleoud
06.15.2019 , 10:07 PM | #22
Quote: Originally Posted by FlatTax View Post
Oh man. It's only supplementary if you buy the assertion that end-game gear is 'optional,' and 'not necessary.' That was one of the most cynical moves I've seen any developer make to head off criticism of end-game monetization.

We shouldn't let it go unchallenged. It's a moral problem. Both as game design, and community engagement.
So..... putting gear on every boss from FP's to OP's, and having specific loot tables on OPs bosses, PLUS the individual drop you get from each boss is the supplemental way to gear and renown crates is the primary?

End game gear IS optional and not NOT necessary to play the game if you feel renown as your primary gearing system. There is no content that can't be done in quest gear until you start getting out of Vet FP's and SM OPs. THEN, if you are doing HM FP's/OP's and higher, you are running with a team, and getting gear off the bosses you kill, not out of renown crates.

You obviously got something completely different out of the the stream and the AMA than I did.

You also DON't HAVE to use XP boosts and CXP boosts. YOU, yourself, feel that it is necessary in order to get more renown crates. I don't feel the need to spend money on XP boosts, and as long as Boosts are dropping from crates the way the are now, you will never have to buy one. I have 2 full tabs in my inventory full of CXP boosts.

Just because you have some delusional conspiracy theory about double monetized progression doesn't mean any of the rest of us are drinking that kool-aid.

Nemmar
06.15.2019 , 11:35 PM | #23
This is complete nonsense. You mustn't play the game much, otherwise you would know that such boosts are more plentiful than what you will ever need. Anyone who plays the game has a huge surplus of them. You can buy them with command tokens and credits on the fleet.

This for CXP boosts, cause the game already showers you with XP boosts during leveling. Faster than i can use them up.
Also, if you were getting components for augs from the crates alone, again, you weren't doing it right. The best source of them is the weekly conquest reward.

AKA, play the game more and QQ less with nonexisting problems.

FlatTax
06.16.2019 , 09:51 AM | #24
Let's look at the facts: the devs, verbally, deprecated the importance of Command/Renown Crates. As a matter of action, they're aggressively re-monetizing them.

They also introduced new end-game gear (Amps), which they likewise minimized ('optional,' 'not necessary,' etc.), but is the exclusive source for peak performance. (again, the cynicism of this is astounding)

Does anyone really doubt that Renown crates will be primary feeder for Amps? Really??

We'll end up with hyper-monetized end-game gear, which the devs framed as optional, not-necessary stuff from a secondary system. And some large number of people here will swallow that.

Padabiene
06.16.2019 , 10:29 AM | #25
I thought you were reaching in the first post, but you completely lost me with 'aggressively re-monetizing' and ' hyper-monetized end-game gear'. Because of experience boosts. Holy hyperbole, Batman.
What do we do, panic, freak? I usually panic but I'm happy to freak.

FlatTax
06.16.2019 , 12:16 PM | #26
Quote: Originally Posted by Padabiene View Post
I thought you were reaching in the first post, but you completely lost me with 'aggressively re-monetizing' and ' hyper-monetized end-game gear'. Because of experience boosts. Holy hyperbole, Batman.
Monetization feeding gearing isn't an accident. It's a bright line, it's been crossed, and we can bet the farm it'll get worse before it gets better.

MacCleoud
06.16.2019 , 01:38 PM | #27
Monetization feeding gearing isn't an accident. It's a bright line, it's been crossed, and we can bet the farm it'll get worse before it gets better.
Amps and tacticals are not limited to Renown Crates. This simple fact negates your entire arguement.

FlatTax
06.16.2019 , 02:55 PM | #28
Quote: Originally Posted by MacCleoud View Post
Amps and tacticals are not limited to Renown Crates. This simple fact negates your entire arguement.
No, it doesn't. Double-boosted Renown drops need only be the easier method to have a terrible pay-to-win problem.

Remember, sencondary grinds for anything cash-purchasable aren't game design. They're pain points to incentivize financial transactions.

MacCleoud
06.16.2019 , 03:06 PM | #29
No, it doesn't. Double-boosted Renown drops need only be the easier method to have a terrible pay-to-win problem.

Remember, sencondary grinds for anything cash-purchasable asren't game design. They're pain points to incentivize financial transactions.
Find the point in the stream where they say tacticals are limited to the crates or where in the AMA they state this. Otherwise, nothing makes me think their statement in doubling up boosts “if that is you world” means anything other than “if you are that greedy for fear you think doubling up on boosts is going to make it better”.

The way I, and others in my group took that statement was that the crates are not the best way to gear, but if you wanted to boost your speed of getting them then yes, boost away.

Joonbeams
06.16.2019 , 03:12 PM | #30

Remember, sencondary grinds for anything cash-purchasable asren't game design. They're pain points to incentivize financial transactions.
I'm probably the one person here who understands and agrees with your base argument: yes, the base XP boost coupled with RXP boost will create an incentive to buy more boosts (and incentive that doesn't exist now because regular XP boosts become worthless when the CXP/70 kicks in). I agree there is probably a monetization element here (and I don't have an issue with that). It's relatively minor though, and it's easily traversable (just a slightly longer grind - and for someone like me, that's the preferred approach). Someone unwilling to do that extra grind should be able to pay to get out of it -- that's just a smart model, if....

...the reward itself isn't purchasable (i.e. only grind time is being shortened). And additionally, the rewards here, gear, are the ends (not the means). They're the prize. None of the content will require this new gear (that I'm aware of); at least none of the existing content will. But even if the new content will require it, there are plenty of ways to get the gear just by playing. So yes, there will be microtransactions--those are here to stay--but they're being done right here IMO.

Pay to win is an overused pejorative. I don't want to run down the rabbit hole of defining the term, but the core thing for modern gaming is that the more there are options to attain the items just by playing the game, the less of the "ick" factor there is. And that ick is even less so where, as here, there is no option to directly purchase any of the prizes (the classic P2W)....