Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Why is Starfighter so unpopular?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Why is Starfighter so unpopular?

Keta
06.26.2019 , 08:12 PM | #21
I will never set foot in Starfighter again. Not in any lifetime.

Learning curve is far too high, tutorial is almost worthless, and while the veterans there are generally not verbally abusive, they almost all camp spawns and prey on the newbs. At least those have been my experiences (and not terribly long ago at that). Not worth the aggravation -- not for any reward.
Yes, another referral link; click it or don't. Free stuff for you, free stuff for me.

MikeCobalt
06.26.2019 , 08:35 PM | #22
GSF doesn't really *benefit my character at all outside of GSF which isn't really important to me, my SWTOR or anything. I never even cared about it until one guild, then I played it quite a lot, even enough to get Good. Otherwise the Less then minimal tutorial, lack of any interest at all, typical disposition of such contests and finding much more Interesting content in the main SWTOR most just don't play that.

merovejec
06.26.2019 , 11:37 PM | #23
Quote: Originally Posted by DavidAtkinson View Post
The learning curve is quite hard... There aren't any proper tutorials in the game. In order to become good you have to fail hard.. and be fodder for good players.

People don't like this... and avoid it.

Before I went into PVP I learned GSF... I never regretted it. Played thousands of matches... and after you learn it, you will feel that it was worthwhile.

Flying those ships is in art.. trust me.
I think the Devs considered that people who will play GSF will do it cause they already are familiar with this game type. As I said, its almost the same as the old X-Wing games.
Merovejec
7 days of being a sub, try it! Refferal Link
Achievements 5.10 68815

Visorknight
06.26.2019 , 11:50 PM | #24
I can list down the problem with GSF below:

1. Most players just queue for that master works crystal ossus weekly which needs 3 wins and they don't have a clue what to do during a match.
2. There are too many GSF pros/premade gsf guilds who are very capable on farming kills and playing very well which makes new players effectively food for them. The scorecard end of match usually shows some big numbers of gsf pros kills which shows terrible match balancing and a big gap in ship handing skills
3. The tutorial doesn't really help much for new players, it is a very steep learning curve during a match
4. Newer players don't have full unlocks on their ships/or using stock ships which makes them disadvantaged against fully upgraded ship players.
5. GSF queues are sometimes really long during non peak timings which deter players from queuing in the first place compared to warzones.

Lord_Thorne
06.27.2019 , 12:21 AM | #25
I've pondered this question off and on again for a long time. I did a fair run of GSF back when if first came out. It was kind of fun back then. I think it's not a bad game (though I'm no veteran of space combat games, so how would I know?). I left it aside for a while and when I came back, they'd introduced bombers and there was a cadre of experts who rendered my efforts laughable. I also realized there were certain aspects of it that I just didn't get (basically, I have a hard time translated the tunnel-vision, 2D screen info into a useful 3D global situation).

What people have said already is all true to some extent, but to me the problem really comes down to the fact that it's a totally different game than SWTOR. I'm no fan of regular PVP, but at least the character abilities you use all the time while leveling and grinding work the same way in PVP. So even if you don't have that 'twitch' or the right gear and utilities, you can at least move around, chase objectives, and interfere with the enemy, pretty much the same way you normally play while questing.

There is no way to get that kind of preparation and practice for GSF. No tutorials, no chance to chase mobs (easy or hard), no parallel between your toon's abilities and your ship's. No way to learn just how to fly, let alone how to actually engage moving targets or how to not get shot.

That's why GSF is 'unpopular' - it's not SWTOR, it's not the game everyone plays when they log in. If there was a PVE or practice mode where you could learn the controls, face challenges in a progressive manner, I bet there would be a lot more activity (there certainly would in my case, and I don't believe I"m the only one!). Instead, it's just a shark tank with not even a swimming lesson to prepare you.

Blessings on those who are willing to teach, I wish them the best. But I prefer to play a game instead of study it. Sure, there's always a learning curve - but I'm a lot more open to learning if my initial experience is better than being blown up repeatedly while I'm just trying not to ram every single asteroid in the system.
Leadership is a potent combination of strategy and character. But if you must be without one, be without the strategy.
"The incomprehensibility of your statement in no way validates it." (HK-51)
"I'm a lump with a bad attitude! Honor! Misplaced loyalty! Grr!" (Z0-OM)

ImmortalLowlife
06.27.2019 , 12:37 AM | #26
For me.... it's quite simply the controls. That "chase the cursor" control system is IMO hot garbage. Now if I could use a controller or joystick to actually control the ship.... I'd play it a lot! But as it is..... it's a hard pass for me.
"There is no Light Side...There is no Dark Side...there is only The Force..."

And you already know...Click HERE for free stuff!!!

merovejec
06.27.2019 , 03:11 AM | #27
Quote: Originally Posted by Lord_Thorne View Post
the problem really comes down to the fact that it's a totally different game than SWTOR.
Well that is the point of it. It was supposed to offer something different. SWTOR has the standards MMO traits like Story, Flashpoints/Dungeons, Raids/Operations and PVP. Besides that it also offeres special things like GSF and Space Missions (with your starship). This is unique for the SW franchise.

Since its a specific type of content its only played by a small part of the game population and therefore the long ques. So from this point of view its actually wrong of Bioware to force people to play it, via the Masterwork Crystal incentive.
Merovejec
Achievements 5.10 68815

Psilanthropy
06.27.2019 , 05:23 AM | #28
Quote: Originally Posted by merovejec View Post
Well that is the point of it. It was supposed to offer something different. SWTOR has the standards MMO traits like Story, Flashpoints/Dungeons, Raids/Operations and PVP. Besides that it also offeres special things like GSF and Space Missions (with your starship). This is unique for the SW franchise.

Since its a specific type of content its only played by a small part of the game population and therefore the long ques. So from this point of view its actually wrong of Bioware to force people to play it, via the Masterwork Crystal incentive.
Do you think queues would go down if people had a larger incentive to play? Not that I'm endorsing it, because as others have mentioned there are a host of reasons to not essentially force players to play Starfighter.

merovejec
06.27.2019 , 06:29 AM | #29
Quote: Originally Posted by Psilanthropy View Post
Do you think queues would go down if people had a larger incentive to play? Not that I'm endorsing it, because as others have mentioned there are a host of reasons to not essentially force players to play Starfighter.
Yes there is no reason to force people to play Starfighter. GSF is in a very bad spot cause the game population went down in general. Its less player in game and even less players who want to play GSF. Incentives will not help GSF as like I mentioned, its a game mode, which is enjoyed by a specific population. If this population is simply small there wont be any pops.

If you force people to do GSF, they will, but this might anger the GSF fans as the matches will pop, but will be low quality.
Merovejec
Achievements 5.10 68815

KaraPeters
06.27.2019 , 07:27 AM | #30
I can only speak for myself, but it just wasn't my thing. My interest is in story driven content, character development and carving out a niche in the world in any game, and I only tried GSF to begin with because I was in a guild at the time. They wanted me to tag along, so I gave in. I just dragged down the team anyway. Glad others are having fun with, it, though, and hope it helps to keep the game around for a long time.
"If we're not alone in the universe, can I get a lift?" The Owlfeather Legacy, Darth Malgus server.