Need rolling for companion loot: Fair?

The number of companions you get would make almost everything a 'need' for one of them.

Same goes for the others in the group.

So you would all 'Need' everything then. Much to the annoyance of the player who actually needs it for themselves, not their companion.

So the only logical way with the current rules would be 'Need' is for Players themsleves.

'Greed' for Conpanions.

Though any group is always free to discuss particular loot and 'need' it as they see fit.

I got ninja'd out of 2 of 3 pieces last night in athiss because some assassin wanted gear for khem val. In this day and age of mmo's i thought everyone understood the need vs green system by now. At any rate that's one thing i do like of the lack cross server groups.. hopefully this guy gets known and ignored. I know i'm never grouping with him again.

No its not

there seriously needs to be a fix to this by Bioware. Ninjaing is so easy.

Just copy the wow system.

which works like this

Light armor drops - Jedi/sith consular can roll need for it

Medium armor with cunning - Smuggler/agent can roll need for it

Medium armor with str - Marauder/Sentinell can roll need for it

Heavy armor with aim - Trooper can roll need for it

Heavy armor with str - Juggernaut/Knight can roll need for it

everyone else can roll greed, any disenchanting works with greed

Please bioware make this change, you talk about making an mmo for people to interract, help make things easier for smooth flashpoint runs not having to worry about people to stealing an upgrade for your character just for the heck of it.

If the system is to be changed, why change it to a variation of an obsolete, politic creating bull<bleep> inducing system?

Better system: Loot is rolled for everyone separately, no one sees what everyone else gets, adjusting chance and numbers accordingly, and allowing you a chance to give an item up if its bind of pickup.

There you go! Some games have/had this, and it made the PUG dynamic far more interesting. Pug raid groups were far more common and successful.

In this day and age of mmo's i thought everyone understood the need vs green system by now

In this day and age of MMO you would think people realise there's more MMOs than EQ/WoW and its direct clones. Some have different loot mechanics which in turn create different "loot rules". And few/no major MMO has a companion system like this one. So the rules become fuzzy, and people who think there "one true WoW-like way" is the only way are arguably causing more problems than the rest. If you don't setup rules before the group start, its free for all. (Note: I have never rolled for anything for my companion, even when duoing with my wife. Doesn't change that the above is true)

Edited by PhoenixMatrix

If the system is to be changed, why change it to a variation of an obsolete, politic creating bull<bleep> inducing system?

Better system: Loot is rolled for everyone separately, no one sees what everyone else gets, adjusting chance and numbers accordingly, and allowing you a chance to give an item up if its bind of pickup.

There you go! Some games have/had this, and it made the PUG dynamic far more interesting. Pug raid groups were far more common and successful.

In this day and age of MMO you would think people realise there's more MMOs than EQ/WoW and its direct clones. Some have different loot mechanics which in turn create different "loot rules". And few/no major MMO has a companion system like this one. So the rules become fuzzy, and people who think there "one true WoW-like way" is the only way are arguably causing more problems than the rest. If you don't setup rules before the group start, its free for all. (Note: I have never rolled for anything for my companion, even when duoing with my wife. Doesn't change that the above is true)

I agree 100% I've also never played a MMO with a companion so rules are fuzzy to say the least. Also now you can takes mods off items so what is the difference if the person only wanted the Armour for the mods and not the fact it was a heavy armor piece?

So the only logical way with the current rules would be 'Need' is for Players themsleves.

'Greed' for Conpanions.

I'd have to disagree, you need to address the issue from the fact there isn't a built in restriction. Therefore base rules are ANYTHING goes, you can't expect a PUG group to follow some unwritten rule. Guild groups and friend groups are always going to be different. It still defaults to a group leader to take 30 seconds to explain the loot rules and let people decide for themselves before starting an instance/flashpoint/quest

Edited by Smoeki

• 1 month later...
I agree 100% I've also never played a MMO with a companion so rules are fuzzy to say the least. Also now you can takes mods off items so what is the difference if the person only wanted the Armour for the mods and not the fact it was a heavy armor piece?

2, or 2.5 ("Anyone mind me Needing this for my companion"?)

I agree it's fuzzy - and you make an interesting point about taking modifications from stuff that you can't use directly - but it's equally obvious from the replies in threads like this that a substantial proportion of players are going to see Needing something for a companion as ninja looting (as another poster pointed out, with so many companions, you could use that to justify going need on just about everything - do it if you want, but don't be surprised if you get booted in pretty short order). The safe rule of thumb for this sort of thing always used to be, if you can't or aren't prepared to equip it right now, go greed.

This game almost needs, if you'll pardon the pun, a three-tier roll system: Need (immediate player upgrade), greed ("just going to vendor/reverse engineer it") and something between the two ("I could use it, but I'll take my chance").

I'd have to disagree, you need to address the issue from the fact there isn't a built in restriction. Therefore base rules are ANYTHING goes, you can't expect a PUG group to follow some unwritten rule. Guild groups and friend groups are always going to be different. It still defaults to a group leader to take 30 seconds to explain the loot rules and let people decide for themselves before starting an instance/flashpoint/quest

Of course you can expect a PUG to follow unwritten rules; you do it all the time (even if it's only something trivial like "In a boss fight, let the tank pull"). Because, just like in the real world, every game population builds its own consensus as to what is or is not acceptable, and what everyone ought to understand without having to be told more than once - that's called "social behaviour". There may be no game mechanisms enforcing those rules, but they're still there, and people break them at their peril.

Edited by FromTheDoghouse

If you roll NEED for a companion and do not ask and / or taking it over a PLAYER character that needs it... you no longer have a group nor will I ever invite you again.

Needing for companions over players is the epitome of greed. I will not tolerate it.