Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Character Name Allowances

Rhaiyu
11.29.2019 , 09:05 AM | #1
With players becoming inactive over time, those who have certain names for their characters that other players would be interested in, should have the opportunity to be granted the name if the inactive player does not return to normal gameplay. Another suggestion would be that two different players can use the same character name, without the use of special vowels, their Legacy surnames being different. Thank you.

SteveTheCynic
11.29.2019 , 09:31 AM | #2
Quote: Originally Posted by Rhaiyu View Post
With players becoming inactive over time, those who have certain names for their characters that other players would be interested in, should have the opportunity to be granted the name if the inactive player does not return to normal gameplay. Another suggestion would be that two different players can use the same character name, without the use of special vowels, their Legacy surnames being different. Thank you.
Amusing conundrum in the last part: how would it handle my legacy called "Argentis" with a character called "Kylath" when you wanted to create, in *your* legacy called "Argentis" (legacy names are not constrained to be unique), a character called "Kylath"?

I note that you don't offer a usable definition of "if the inactive player does not return to normal gameplay". How long does the game have to wait before it marks a name as "can be taken by another player"?

Also: how would you react if you left for a while and came back and all your characters lost their names? We've already had complaints about this following the server merges, where absent players returned and found that some other player who was actually playing got to keep the name they both had. (That is, the person still playing had "Colliding'name" on server one, and the absent player had "Colliding'name" on server two, and they were merged into server one-plus-two. Because the person on server one was still playing, his character got to keep the name.)
http://www.swtor.com/r/Hg3sV2
To go to Belsavis, you must go to Belsavis.
> @"Biff.5312" said:
> Exercise your whimsy.

DarkGruffalo
11.29.2019 , 09:48 AM | #3
Quote: Originally Posted by SteveTheCynic View Post
Amusing conundrum in the last part: how would it handle my legacy called "Argentis" with a character called "Kylath" when you wanted to create, in *your* legacy called "Argentis" (legacy names are not constrained to be unique), a character called "Kylath"?

I note that you don't offer a usable definition of "if the inactive player does not return to normal gameplay". How long does the game have to wait before it marks a name as "can be taken by another player"?

Also: how would you react if you left for a while and came back and all your characters lost their names? We've already had complaints about this following the server merges, where absent players returned and found that some other player who was actually playing got to keep the name they both had. (That is, the person still playing had "Colliding'name" on server one, and the absent player had "Colliding'name" on server two, and they were merged into server one-plus-two. Because the person on server one was still playing, his character got to keep the name.)
They've had a couple of name purges over the years, from accounts unused for 18 or 24 months (Can't remember excatly) but even then people came back and complained their names were gone. Personally i think , if the actual acc has been dormant for 18+ months , maybe the names should be purged. Although even with the last two name purges, not that many names became available, not ones people wanted anyway....lol
What out, there's snowflakes about, Crying about hurt feelings, no doubt,
Watch out for the Ban Hammer,It's going to cause a might Clamor

http://www.swtor.com/r/jFXFFQ

SteveTheCynic
12.03.2019 , 01:58 AM | #4
Quote: Originally Posted by DarkGruffalo View Post
They've had a couple of name purges over the years, from accounts unused for 18 or 24 months (Can't remember excatly) but even then people came back and complained their names were gone. Personally i think , if the actual acc has been dormant for 18+ months , maybe the names should be purged. Although even with the last two name purges, not that many names became available, not ones people wanted anyway....lol
Actually, they've only had one *purge*. It coincided with the 2017 server merge and only affected unused non-subscriber *characters* below level 10.

In 2013, there was an *unlock* for *characters* that hadn't been used in a while. Again, it was only for non-subscribers, and the "unused" period was a lot less than 18 months - more like 90-120 days.
> @"Biff.5312" said:
> Exercise your whimsy.

Spikanor
12.05.2019 , 06:25 AM | #5
but most off the nickname's a player wane use are name's from other game's there have play like moster name's from that game or char name's.

like me what i have done with a small test is showing that a char name from a other game is blocking by bioware system.
the name i was using was Buck and it tells me: ERROR Invalid Name will its char name from Halo 4 but if i use Forerunners as nickname is from the same game then i can use it.

if its something that there is a strong filter then there most make it for most off the nickname's allow to use will there are from a game.
its now all hard to make a new char with a nickname that bioware allow to get use that there are name's that have a wrong meaning there need to be blockt for sure but some are not bad there are more normal.
Get Free 7 day's sub with my Referral Link

Here -> http://www.swtor.com/r/fv5qRk

DarkTergon
12.05.2019 , 11:55 AM | #6
Quote: Originally Posted by Spikanor View Post
but most off the nickname's a player wane use are name's from other game's there have play like moster name's from that game or char name's.

like me what i have done with a small test is showing that a char name from a other game is blocking by bioware system.
the name i was using was Buck and it tells me: ERROR Invalid Name will its char name from Halo 4 but if i use Forerunners as nickname is from the same game then i can use it.

if its something that there is a strong filter then there most make it for most off the nickname's allow to use will there are from a game.
its now all hard to make a new char with a nickname that bioware allow to get use that there are name's that have a wrong meaning there need to be blockt for sure but some are not bad there are more normal.
You can use buck, I've seen a few in the game, chances are someone already had it. I've seen plenty of chars names from games, etc, without people having to resort to alt chars.
No Idea if people use these, but if so, here's my referral link

SteveTheCynic
12.05.2019 , 12:24 PM | #7
Quote: Originally Posted by Spikanor View Post
That tells me that it's blocking "Buck" for some other reason. The ones that spring immediately to mind are:
* "buck" as slang for "dollar" (unlikely)
* Buck Rogers (in the 25th Century)
> @"Biff.5312" said:
> Exercise your whimsy.

DarkTergon
12.05.2019 , 12:26 PM | #8
Quote: Originally Posted by SteveTheCynic View Post
That tells me that it's blocking "Buck" for some other reason. The ones that spring immediately to mind are:
* "buck" as slang for "dollar" (unlikely)
* Buck Rogers (in the 25th Century)
I've seen Buck Rogers on fleet, although, he could have an alt char, not 100% sure
No Idea if people use these, but if so, here's my referral link

SteveTheCynic
12.05.2019 , 12:30 PM | #9
Quote: Originally Posted by DarkTergon View Post
You can use buck, I've seen a few in the game, chances are someone already had it. I've seen plenty of chars names from games, etc, without people having to resort to alt chars.
No, he said that he got "Invalid" rather than "unavailable", so it's being blocked by the automated censor.
> @"Biff.5312" said:
> Exercise your whimsy.

SteveTheCynic
12.05.2019 , 12:31 PM | #10
Quote: Originally Posted by DarkTergon View Post
I've seen Buck Rogers on fleet, although, he could have an alt char, not 100% sure
Bck Rgrs ?

And of course the automated censor's block-list changes over time, usually by things being added.
> @"Biff.5312" said:
> Exercise your whimsy.