Is this the type of community we are going to see in SWTOR?

boobot

Something I have often thought about is the statistics regarding the player base of mmo games.

Specifically, how much variation there is versus how many people are just the same faces you've seen in every other community. In any given MMO the attitude of the forums is generally the same, which I assume is because it is the same general population of people that keep hopping from one game to the next as they launch.

How many truly unique individuals who are un-jaded and fresh are there on average on a new game launch I wonder?

I think a lot about this because I feel that the MMO genre as a whole is irrevocably poisoned by the recurring user base that plays these games. In short the community experience is already pre-ordained before you even start, and unfortunately it is the exact same experience as the last game you played with a different veneer.

Or so the theory goes.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I think we need a dedicated Toddler Thread for all the whining.

Edit: Yes, I guess you are right what did we expect! It seems even

much worse than the Beta crying though.

Welcome to Generation I-G (Instant Gratification). Although most try to refer this generation to "Generation X", that is not the case (unless X means "eXtremely whinny"). The problem is that people want everything handed on a silver platter to them right now, without any consideration of how or why. They demand to have things their way and nobody or nothing else matters. This is the status of America, this is the status of the 1st World nations. This is why economies tank.

"I want cheap, inexpensive items as quickly as possible" says the man who lost his production line job to an Asian country.

"I want customer service to answer me as soon as I hit the last button. And it's fail if I talk to someone in India!", says the individual who complains that they want cheap/free customer service and pay little to nothing for their products.

It's our fault. It's our sense of society that has produced this self-absorbed attitude amongst the masses.

Something I have often thought about is the statistics regarding the player base of mmo games.

Specifically, how much variation there is versus how many people are just the same faces you've seen in every other community. In any given MMO the attitude of the forums is generally the same, which I assume is because it is the same general population of people that keep hopping from one game to the next as they launch.

How many truly unique individuals who are un-jaded and fresh are there on average on a new game launch I wonder?

I think a lot about this because I feel that the MMO genre as a whole is irrevocably poisoned by the recurring user base that plays these games. In short the community experience is already pre-ordained before you even start, and unfortunately it is the exact same experience as the last game you played with a different veneer.

Or so the theory goes.

I dunno, forums maybe. But in game, mmo's generally have some of the nicest people playing. Try playing any FPS. I still have nightmares of Counter Strike games.

Lol while I'd phrase it slightly nicer.. I'm gonna agree with the majority of the message.

You pre-order a game to ensure you HAVE said game upon LAUNCH.

A company offering a few free days of access prior to listed launch is a nice gift, a BONUS, not something people should be griefing so much over simply cause they aren't as of yet getting the full 5+ days of early access. *Shrugs*

I dont care if i get in today or the 19th, i just want to know when.

I think we need a dedicated Toddler Thread for all the whining.

Edit: Yes, I guess you are right what did we expect! It seems even

much worse than the Beta crying though.

I wouldn't worry the amount of people who use the forums is almost always just a small fraction of the people who play the game. This will be true for TOR as well.

I dunno, forums maybe. But in game, mmo's generally have some of the nicest people playing. Try playing any FPS. I still have nightmares of Counter Strike games.

I've been playing the tribes ascend beta and while there are certainly a lot of idiots in fps games and always have been, I find dealing with them in an fps is far easier.

In the average fps game I find there just isn't a lot of talk going on, and if there is i'm not paying attention to it, I'm constantly focused on the game.

Of course you could be referring to the infamy of voice chat, predominantly in modern console FPS titles, which is indeed asinine beyond belief. Still though for me the FPS genre has always had a more throw away aspect to it. You find a server full of idiots you just drop out and pick another. Have enough problems start your own server. (I know with these bs console games nowadays you can't really start your own dedicated server but for me a fps still equates to quake, tribes, unreal tournament etc, It does occur to me I must be getting old).

I guess in the end perhaps I've always taken mmo communities more seriously because you see the same people over and over again, whereas any time I played a FPS it was just a nomadic experience of bouncing from server to server for me, barely even taking notice of the names of who else was playing.

Edited by savagepotato

Just wanted to make a point here.

People doesn't complain ONLY about games.

People also complains about political, religious, love, friendship, sports team and so on problems.

Basically, we spend about 95% of our life complaining about everything that seems wrong, instead of enjoying what life has to offer.

I won't post anything else after this, since I don't intend to keep reading anything from this forum for undetermined time, so, if someone wants to flame me up, you can do it, but don't expect a reply or anything, even if I were here, I wouldn't reply such kind of stuff, it's not my type :)

Anyway, I think people should learn to enjoy life. Instead of being on hype here, just go out, and have fun, or go play something else.

Or are you going to complain in about 2 weeks, about others having better luck on their Gear drop than you?

BW decided to give us UP TO 7 days early access. They weren't obligated to do this at all. I'm not here to protect the company's interest, or anyone's interest. We should just enjoy the fact they actually gave us an early access.

Without anything else to add, I'm signing out.

Regards,

Galaxykiller

Edited by Galaxykiller

Hello all,

We know that it can be frustrating to see threads that are negative or critical. However, there is a lot of tension and excitement going around today and we ask that the community has patience with one another. Please keep in mind that threads which call out people for posting negatively, or that are addressing negative threads and posts, tend to cause disruptions, spam and trolling. With that in mind, we're going to close the thread now.