I know its too late to say this but..

acheros

Actually the entire premise for this thread is wrong. You are saying that the decisions have no bearing on the direction of the quests and that for the majority of them is not the case.

Certainly class quests that lead to you getting a companion for instance are rail driven and you can only find a slightly different way to get there. For most other quests however that isnt the case, and your decisions drive who lives or dies, which elements of the story you might avoid or go further into. It determines which mobs you face, and if you resolve the problem through diplomacy, aggression or by subterfuge.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Actually the entire premise for this thread is wrong. You are saying that the decisions have no bearing on the direction of the quests and that for the majority of them is not the case.

Certainly class quests that lead to you getting a companion for instance are rail driven and you can only find a slightly different way to get there. For most other quests however that isnt the case, and your decisions drive who lives or dies, which elements of the story you might avoid or go further into. It determines which mobs you face, and if you resolve the problem through diplomacy, aggression or by subterfuge.

..it really isn't, though. there are minor details, sure. But really its the choice between fighting an NPC and not.

Ultimately, the story doesn't change much either way.

It's not about amassing dark side points or having huge drastic changes during the story, its about having an interactive number of stories to play roles in and have fun seeing how it unfolds, with you creating a personality for yourself through choices.

Why do people try so hard to find things to complain about?

If you dont like to play, dont.

It's not about amassing dark side points or having huge drastic changes during the story, its about having an interactive number of stories to play roles in and have fun seeing how it unfolds, with you creating a personality for yourself through choices.

Why do people try so hard to find things to complain about?

If you dont like to play, dont.

Is that really the only option you see? Love everything about the game or despise it with a passion? I love the game, I just think the storylines are weak and should of been branched from the very start. If you can't accept that there are faults in this game, I really don't know what else to say..

I know It'll never happen. I just wish it could..They'd basically have to re-release the game.

You can always look at it from a destiny perspective. I actually wonder, have you ever read Foundation by Isaac Asimov? You could look at it as psychohistory. No matter what you do, the outcome will be the same and can be calculated by a mathematical equation. ;)

and the fanboys that deny anything is wrong with the game and ignore any criticism.

I genuinely love my sith warrior's story line. It made me love my character and not want to reroll so quickly. My buddy loves his sith inquisitor. I have to find time to finish my story now because I do so much else with friends on the game now that we've hit 50. PvP and HM flashpoints are a load of fun. I guess if you don't like it, you don't like it but some people do. There are other games if you don't like this one, your welcome to go elsewhere!

Edited by Big_Luvin

Is that really the only option you see? Love everything about the game or despise it with a passion? I love the game, I just think the storylines are weak and should of been branched from the very start. If you can't accept that there are faults in this game, I really don't know what else to say..

I easily accept the faults in this game but seeing new threads of rubbish complaints sends peoplle over the top.

There is nothing wrong with the story in this game, it does have lots of replay value through the role playing aspect of the story driven rpg.

You only dislike it because in your opinion, its not how you wanted it to go 100%.

Saying the story is crap and weak is just not true and its just sad the call of duty generation of kids cant appreciate role play value in a role playing game.

The stories are on the same Rail used in Space Combat. There really is no choice, its just an illusion.

...and illusion that works and is 100x more fun than just clicking quest givers as fast as possible and powering thru quests as fast as possible to get it over with.

IMO, if you don't like this style of game...the answer is clear. Don't play it. Crying about it or complaining about it is pretty ignorant. Or playing something you claim to not like...is genius for sure. I'd imagine the quality of player on the servers would improve if the people who don't really like the game just stopped playing (and posting, for that matter).

I like how they've done the questing, I don't get bored, and I even watch some of the dialogs several times (with different characters, voices, and responses since it's often amusing or entertaining). I space thru some of it too since I have a lot of alts and some stuff is more interesting/entertaining than others.

I think my issue is that the "stories" themselves only progress between chapters.

For example, no matter what class you pick, each chapter (1, 2, and 3) will be a series of visiting a planet to complete a single, non-plot related device. By "non-plot" related, I mean each planet stands on its own -- events that occur prior to each planet, or on the following planets afterward, are unrelated.

For example your class will...:

1. Kill some guy (Your next planet you will kill another new guy)

2. Heal some guy (Your next planet you will heal a new guy)

3. Acquire some object (Your next planet you will acquire a new object)

Each planet has its own story connected to each of your singular goals -- new planet, new goal, new story.

The stories ARE NOT a continuous, connected arc across each planet. But rather, multiple pieces (5 to be exact, in chapter 1 anyway) and then after you acquire all "5 pieces", you complete the chapter and after the chapter ends, you get actual story before the next chapter starts.

That's my issue with the stories. THEY AREN'T STORIES.

They are individual, stand-alone fetch quests. The only time "stories" occur is between the chapters.

It's poor writing. Why? Because writing 5 identically formatted, unrelated stories in "pieces" is easier than writing one, singular story that spans across 5 planets.

Edited by TaintedSquirrel

I easily accept the faults in this game but seeing new threads of rubbish complaints sends peoplle over the top.

There is nothing wrong with the story in this game, it does have lots of replay value through the role playing aspect of the story driven rpg.

You only dislike it because in your opinion, its not how you wanted it to go 100%.

Saying the story is crap and weak is just not true and its just sad the call of duty generation of kids cant appreciate role play value in a role playing game.

First of all, I hate call of duty. Assuming anyone who doesn't like the same thing you do as unappreciative, or anything else really in an attempt to belittle them or their opinion is just plain ignorance.

Secondly, just because you enjoy a story doesn't mean theres nothing wrong with it. It means you enjoy it DESPISE THE FACT that others find fault in it. You're free to enjoy the story all you like. I do not. Get over it.

The replay value is very subjective. However for a game that brags so much about its storylines, it doesn't change at all the second play through. It gets boring. You play through a story once, after that you skip everything.

...and illusion that works and is 100x more fun than just clicking quest givers as fast as possible and powering thru quests as fast as possible to get it over with.

IMO, if you don't like this style of game...the answer is clear. Don't play it. Crying about it or complaining about it is pretty ignorant. Or playing something you claim to not like...is genius for sure. I'd imagine the quality of player on the servers would improve if the people who don't really like the game just stopped playing (and posting, for that matter).

I like how they've done the questing, I don't get bored, and I even watch some of the dialogs several times (with different characters, voices, and responses since it's often amusing or entertaining). I space thru some of it too since I have a lot of alts and some stuff is more interesting/entertaining than others.

again, you're falsely assuming that because I don't like the STORY that I hate the GAME. they're not the same..

SWTOR is a big gamble so much of the resources that went into it were spent on dialogue and the class quests. I think they kindof ignored the whole "world building" aspect. EQ never had good quests, in fact in 1999 they were downright annoying since you had to type out phrases exactly to advance the quests and many times they would bug out. EQ did get the world building thing down though, EQ was impossible to put down hence evercrack.

Swtor does many things very very well I think we kind of skip over this fact but I agree this game lacks the whole "world" feel.

I'm enjoying the main story..well the parts that make sense

*cough*kira/being a dark jedi/womanly mood swings?*cough*

and the second act of the JK story is kinda boring.

Whats really killing me are the side quests and how un streamlined and vague the questing is. I've never back tracked so much since playing resident evil 1 on top of the density of mobs and the quick respawn rates it's a exhausting chore just doing a quick "go push that button and come back" quest.

By the time I hit, that dwarf planet Quesh (sp?) I was convinced not only have I killed the entire imperial army 50 times over but if it wasn't for me I don't think any one in the entire known SWTOR universe was competent enough to wipe their own *** without my help. One of the best lines from the jedi story "can't anyone do anything around here on their own?"

Cause it's true. there's a difference between being a hero and a errand boy. Honestly the little crap they pull between travel time, huge maps with back tracking densely populated with mobs to artificially extend the games play time is one of the biggest downers for me.

Edited by Parali
added spoiler tags

All MMO has the same thing. You level 1 character to 50 with a series of quests. You will see the same quests when you level another alt. It goes on and on.

Yeah but most MMO don't rely on people leveling up to keep them busy, they actually have end-game content, that's kind of the big difference with TOR.

Bioware does expect you to make lots of alts to keep playing (they can't possibly think the end-game content is satisfactory), even though like OP said the replayability is not what was promised, it's at 90% the same thing for all classes.

To me the story is all there is in this game but i got to lvl 22 juggernaut and deleted the toon when i realized how crap the class is (unable to kill rylon at lvl 22, pumped full of stims etc) and so re-rolled to maruader... re leveling was a pain because there is no difference.

My ****** zabrak killer death machine has a posh english accent, how quaint (lol).

So fully voiced is biowares attempt at inovation? Perhaps they should have expanded on the voice actors for player classes/species...hmm?

I skip conversations simply because i cant bare to listen to my warriors voice....

everyone who says the play for the story are actually saying that they play 1 hour a week and havent hit lvl 30 yet. All aspects of this game are crap, story included.

Yet you're still here, interesting. I guess you like crap.

Yet you're still here, interesting. I guess you like crap.

Or he, you know, finds the game enjoyable despite the bad storylines.

AMAZING ISN'T IT!?

and this is exactly what im talking about. The "If you don't love the storylines, why are you here?" mentality. Because clearly this game is absolutely **** other then the story, thats all you're really saying.

Edited by acheros