[Guide] The Sith Assassin's Codex

AstralFire

Ive never seen a post backed up by numbers in a simulcraft chart that shows discharge used on CD doing less dps than not using it on CD....could you link that info please?

Edit: I researched and looked everywhere I could, and there is only one guide for Deception Assassins out there with absolutely no one doing viable testing on it. In fact the one guide that's out there is one that is filled with old builds and outdated information. I would think there needs to be some more research done into it.

In fact, in the one guide he states it takes him 2 cycles to get to 5 charges. All I can say is that is one awfully long rotation he is using. I can get to 3 static charges in one rotation. So waiting for 5 on a completely static non-moving boss is easily doable and I will do some testing to see how it affects my dps to wait or to use it on every CD.

I can guarantee you though that holding onto a full static charge is a dps loss.

Edited by TheOpf

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 224
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Honestly the guide here is more than sufficient. Also it's a misconception to think in terms of 'rotation' in SWTOR. Yes you sort of have one but it's more of a priority list (as astral mentions frequently in the guide here) rather than a strict 'rotation'. Yes, you will, sort of, rotate through key abilities but you'll be bouncing around alot within them to maximize your effectiveness.

The key to playing any class that bases off procs/triggers is to hit that trigger as often as it's available so that you can use the upgraded ability that triggers off it more often. There's only 4-5 attacks worth doing in any priority list (unless you're going madness) so it's not super hard to keep track of or manage.

Edit: I researched and looked everywhere I could, and there is only one guide for Deception Assassins out there with absolutely no one doing viable testing on it. In fact the one guide that's out there is one that is filled with old builds and outdated information. I would think there needs to be some more research done into it.

In fact, in the one guide he states it takes him 2 cycles to get to 5 charges. All I can say is that is one awfully long rotation he is using. I can get to 3 static charges in one rotation. So waiting for 5 on a completely static non-moving boss is easily doable and I will do some testing to see how it affects my dps to wait or to use it on every CD.

I can guarantee you though that holding onto a full static charge is a dps loss.

@ AstralFire,

This is a great guide on the Assassin! Thanks for posting this here and for all your research.

I started leveling a sin when the game first game out but got quickly bored with the story and lack of interesting companions. Not the best reason to stop playing the class but alas, that's the truth. After getting my Juggernaut to 50 w/ mostly Champion gear, I again was somewhat bored with the fact that the class is so dependent upon smash and w/o a self-healing ability, it has it's limitations in PvP.

After reading through this guide, I've decided to go back and recreate my original sin (yeah... only lvl 9 atm) as even at lower levels in PvP, they have such an impressive survivability.

Just wondering though, how well do you find the madness Sin does against the "warrior" classes? Also, as someone who has a lvl 34 IA, do you find the Sin to be effective against Smugglers/IAs?

Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

So what is the ideal pvp opening rotation? Granted I'm only level 32 ATM.

Just gettin assassinate I haven't had a chance to mess with it yet. I normally open with maul, discharge recklessness shock, then try for another maul. Guess it would be better to use thrash to setup for the next shock?

I have been between the build 31/0/10 and then the deception PVP prior to 1.2. I remember the huge increase in survive-ability I gained when I did this. I used to refer to myself as the glass cannon. Now that I have ranked up to BM gear would you guys recommend switching back to deception for PVP? I leveled a sentinel and I enjoyed the action it provided in melee combat to where right now i feel like i cast 3 spells the entire time. I think deception would provide more excitement but I don't want to get destroyed all the time like I used to. I guess what is the most popular PVP spec's right now?

So I know tank spec with dps gear is the hot thing, does it work as well with tank gear in a dps spec?

Not really, the reason people use DPS gear in tank spec is cause tank spec has a lot of inherent, talent based survivability, only a small percentage of their durability comes from actual tank gear, so using DPS gear allows them to also put out lots of damage while still retaining much of the survivability of a tank.

OTOH, using tank gear in DPS spec only very marginally enhances your survivability(since you lack the defensive talents of Darkness, which is where much of their survivability comes from, not the gear) especially if you don't also run in tank stance. And you lose a large portion of damage by using tank gear, and lose even more if you run in tank stance(since the other specs base much of their damage around being in the appropriate non-tank stance), it's just not really a good idea.

Been playing assassin since release. Started as Madness, but switched to deception in my 20s, and been toying with that ever since. I might give this another look soon, but this is what I've got.

0/33/8

http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#200ZhGrRkhrbtzZf0c.1

Just as a quick look already, I might take the 2 out of Static Cling and put them into Insulation.

Edited by Ilikedagunz

Been playing assassin since release. Started as Madness, but switched to deception in my 20s, and been toying with that ever since. I might give this another look soon, but this is what I've got.

0/33/8

http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#200ZhGrRkhrbtzZf0c.1

Just as a quick look already, I might take the 2 out of Static Cling and put them into Insulation.

Unless you PvP a lot, you'd be better off taking the 2 out of Static Cling and putting them in Thrashing Blades instead. More damage on one of your primary moves is much better than Static Cling, unless you PvP a lot where Static Cling is actually somewhat useful. Regardless of rather you PvP or not, Insulation is a waste.

• 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Why thank you kind sir... i did not know that, bookmarked and thanks are in order.

EDIT: That's for PVP, have a PvE one handy?

Unfortunately no =/, however some of the specs listed in that guide are useful for PvE but no one has taken the time to write up a PvE specific guide.

Unfortunately no =/, however some of the specs listed in that guide are useful for PvE but no one has taken the time to write up a PvE specific guide.

I hope someone takes the time to do this, i wish i knew more about it and how to do it or i wouldn't but all that stats and math stuff isuck at.. so i'll be a sheeple i guess.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 9 months later...