Will Jedis ever get other weapons?

NaggoinSpace

I loved having a Gamorean War Axe in KOTOR. I would absolutely adore having a pair for my Jedi Sentinel! Having a wider variety of melee weapons for Jedis would add a ton of variety to the game :)

Has there been any mention of implementing them or similar weapons in the game for the future?

P.S. Please don't respond with "this is swtor not wow"... in the expanded universe not every jedi uses a lightsaber.

Edited by NaggoinSpace

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I loved having a Gamorean War Axe in KOTOR. I would absolutely adore having a pair for my Jedi Sentinel! Having a wider variety of melee weapons for Jedis would add a ton of variety to the game :)

Has there been any mention of implementing them or similar weapons in the game for the future?

P.S. Please don't respond with "this is swtor not wow"... in the expanded universe not every jedi uses a lightsaber.

What?!?!?

Uh....please go watch the films.

And luke skywalker did a lot of winning with a gun!

And he would drop it for a saber in a heartbeat.

Edited by Fraxture

Hmm...according to ObiWan kenobi, the light saber is the jedi's weapon. He doesn't mention any others as do none of the other films, so No.

And i think the this is not WOW is in fact completly appropriate.

I said expanded universe!

As in the novels, comics, etc.

There are plenty of examples of Jedis not using lightsabers

Just an FYI, there is a large group of Star Wars fans that sees the EU as trash.

In their defense, most of it is.

Edited by Mxconway

I can conjour a lot of force power from the end of an assault rifle... just saying.... bring a gun to a gun fight.

Jedis use starships and laser cannons, missiles, gernades, demolitions. Is it really beyond the realm of starwars for one to pick up a blaster every few hundred years and see what all the fuss is about?

I can conjour a lot of force power from the end of an assault rifle... just saying.... bring a gun to a gun fight.

Jedis use starships and laser cannons, missiles, gernades, demolitions. Is it really beyond the realm of starwars for one to pick up a blaster every few hundred years and see what all the fuss is about?

Well, Obi Wan did and shot a big four armed robot with one. He didn't seem pleased by using it, either. >.>

To be honest I think Jedi need some kind of ranged attack, or an AoE Force Pull or something for tanking, but that's for a different thread!

Edited by LilPika

I get the feeling most of the people playing SW:TOR never played KotOR. Any time you mention anything, the response is "Go watch the movies again!". It's like they're not even aware that there's hundreds of times more to the world of Star Wars that isn't covered in the movies.

I'm with you here OP. I wanted to use vibroblades on my sentinel, and am able to do so. Unfortunately until a higher level, most of them look like crappy training sabers, or sheath over the back which looks as ridiculous. However there are plenty of other weapons, used by jedi and otherwise, which make no appearance in this game, when they totally could.

The main problem I have with lightsabers is that they haven't tapped into very much of the possible customization they could have. In the movies and the expanded universe, there are unstable crystals, a large variety of colors, differing lengths of blade, even sabers with extra, smaller blades that act like crossguards. In the current game, which admittedly is early in it's lifespan, we have a half dozen normal colors, a few of those colors with black cores, and a small variety of hilts, which are hard to notice.

There's just a lot more that they can do with a normal melee weapon, such as a vibrosword, to make it distinct. When you look at a lightsaber, the main thing you see is the energy blade portion, and it's basic and bland.

Edited by Toraxa

This game is heavy on Star Wars iconography, the iconic image of a Jedi is that of one with a lightsaber. Not those Mary Sue exceptions who use a gun, bow & arrow, axe, whip or whatever else.

So just accept the fact that you'll be using your lightsaber for a very, very, very long time.

There's nothing wrong with a Jedi using a blaster (it is, in fact, canon, and how Obi-Wan finally manages to take down General Grievous).

Now, I don't know about the expanded universe, but when it comes to the film media it's made very clear that a Jedi's lightsaber is his life. The problem I see with Jedi using non-saber weapons is that it eventually brings their skill with a saber into question. If you're not always staying on top of your art and constantly ignoring your saber in lieu of another weapon then you're forsaking a large part of your Jedi training. And for that reason I don't think it's appropriate for Jedi to be using other weapons outside of brief, special case circumstances.

Obi-wan offed Greivous with a gun...shot him in the chest while hanging off the docking platform IIRC

Good point.

But wouldn't you treat that like the Smuggler's Scatter-gun in game?

He pulls it out for a certain attack?

Edited by Fraxture

I meant melee weapons... sure it would be cool to have a blaster offhand, but i could see how that would change the dynamics of the playstyle for jedi classes.

I simply wanted to explore the idea of having a wider variety of melee weapons with which to use our existing abilities.

Edited by NaggoinSpace

Obi-wan offed Greivous with a gun...shot him in the chest while hanging off the docking platform IIRC

and then right after using it he says "So uncivilized".

In my opinion they should restrict Jedi's to using blasters but with a handicap, simply as a balancing exercise. then allow non-force users to use lightsabers but with a similarly large handicap to essentially render the player massively gimped if they try to use the weapon in pve or pvp.

I meant melee weapons... sure it would be cool to have a blaster offhand, but i could see how that would change the dynamics of the playstyle for jedi classes.

I simply wanted to explore the idea of having a wider variety of melee weapons with which to use our existing abilities.

Well, all I could see from that would be a bland dull weapon compared to a saber.

Unless it was PVP motivated?

I mean those glow bats stick out in the distance like a target on the Sith or Jedi's chest.

I see them coming out of the corner of my eye.

The main issue is that this game is both SW lore AND a game that needs to function within a set of rules. If you give a character in the game just ONE ability that another has and it wasn't part of the initial design, then you risk making either useless or OP. Then the balancing act has to start all over again...nerf bats, buff ups, much crying and gnashing of teeth, etc. It becomes a mess.

I don't think this is a bad idea, but realistically if I were a dev, I would push this back to possibly something that comes in an expansion or top level ability with tons of exceptions and boundaries to keep it from encroaching in on other classes.

Really...?

……………………………………..________

………………………………,.-‘”……………….“~.,

………………………..,.-”……………………………..“-.,

…………………….,/………………………………………..”:,

…………………,?………………………………………………\,

………………./…………………………………………………..,}

……………../………………………………………………,:`^`..}

……………/……………………………………………,:”………/

…………..?…..…………………………………..:`………../

…………./.(…..“~-,…………………………,:`………./

………../(….”~,……..“~,………………..,:`……../