Empire needs a REAL Emperor.

Magnusheart

Time to bring back Darth Jadus. 2nd to Vitiate. The hardest thing about this game is the lack of a concrete political table for story.

We need (and not to have options to kill or be apart of) A Jedi Council, Dark Council, Emperor, and Chancellor. Iokath story skewed story plotline continuity for players not just for a Roleplay perspective but for a Storytelling perspective.

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Time to bring back Darth Jadus. 2nd to Vitiate. The hardest thing about this game is the lack of a concrete political table for story.

We need (and not to have options to kill or be apart of) A Jedi Council, Dark Council, Emperor, and Chancellor. Iokath story skewed story plotline continuity for players not just for a Roleplay perspective but for a Storytelling perspective.

Actually the second most powerful after Vitiate was the Dread Masters.

Iokath story skewed story plotline continuity for players not just for a Roleplay perspective but for a Storytelling perspective.
How so?

It may have gone in a different direction than anticipated, but who gets to chose what happens to them? Your character can respond... in character. I don't see anything wrong with the plot at Iokath from a continuity perspective. Both factions still exist and are still relevant.

Edited by Karameck

Yep, There's always been an "Emperor" and without one now is like a boat without a rudder for most of the class's (which are mostly just one class now). Star Wars of this era Without the Dark Council is really odd and goes against everything else about this time. Writing the stories into a corner like this again has left nowhere to go from here and keep the stories continuity (and Validity). With nothing to "Strive" for and constant challenges to reach That goal its kinda pointless to do anything. The class stories and other games are always good at giving goals and challenges to reach those but since BW Took the Star Wars Emperor (then killed him=NoMore) and Dissolved the Council again this game goes into an odd and very un Star Wars like direction (odd side Niche story). What's coming up next may not include fighting skytroopers but it is still dependent on the status on the state of the galaxy at the end of the Zakuul story (Not *Entirely a new story). Edited by MikeCobalt

Yep, There's always been an "Emperor" and without one now is like a boat without a rudder for most of the class's (which are mostly just one class now). Star Wars of this era Without the Dark Council is really odd and goes against everything else about this time. Writing the stories into a corner like this again has left nowhere to go from here and keep the stories continuity (and Validity). With nothing to "Strive" for and constant challenges to reach That goal its kinda pointless to do anything. The class stories and other games are always good at giving goals and challenges to reach those but since BW Took the Star Wars Emperor (then killed him=NoMore) and Dissolved the Council again this game goes into an odd and very un Star Wars like direction (odd side Niche story). What's coming up next may not include fighting skytroopers but it is still dependent on the status on the state of the galaxy at the end of the Zakuul story (Not *Entirely a new story).
There's nothing preventing a Dark Council from reforming though. And the Empire isn't without leadership.

Darth Vowrawn comes to mind....

How so?

It may have gone in a different direction than anticipated, but who gets to chose what happens to them? Your character can respond... in character. I don't see anything wrong with the plot at Iokath from a continuity perspective. Both factions still exist and are still relevant.

OK, so tell me: who is in each of these roles?

* Emperor (of the Sith Empire)

* Chancellor

* High Chief Muckety-muck (HCMm) of the Republic military.

Quickly, now, I want a *definitive*, *SINGLE* answer to each of those.

I think there is, indeed, just one name as Chancellor, but there are two names cited for Emperor (keep your ears open during the Copero FP, on characters who picked different sides on Iokath), and there's a real doubt as to who is the HCMm if you pick the Empire on Iokath.

The purpose of the entire KOTFE story line was to accommodate a dwindling player base. They didn't have enough players to support the idea of Empire versus Republic so they came up with some nonsensical common enemy.

Hopefully they'll come up with a new conflict for the game to focus on but I honestly feel the game overall has run its course. EA and their gambling packs have sent the players elsewhere.

There's nothing preventing a Dark Council from reforming though. And the Empire isn't without leadership.

Darth Vowrawn comes to mind....

I certainly hope they do establish a *New Dark Council so the game can seem more like TOR era Star Wars and less side story.ish. Sith (as I understand them) don't like *Sharing Power so this wouldn't be a natural desire for Acina so to reintroduce a council would require Acina's death (and therefore Malcom's aswell to keep things even) that many have predicted already. If BW did this it would take a Lot of restructuring at the top (story time) to get back to the disposition it was before the Zakuul stories. To go on like it is now would be continuing an odd state that many have repeatedly said does not feel like Star Wars.

Darth Vowrawn , isn't he the one that was on his *Knees before Arcann?

The purpose of the entire KOTFE story line was to accommodate a dwindling player base. They didn't have enough players to support the idea of Empire versus Republic so they came up with some nonsensical common enemy.

Hopefully they'll come up with a new conflict for the game to focus on but I honestly feel the game overall has run its course. EA and their gambling packs have sent the players elsewhere.

I don't think it's that they didn't have the players to support E vs R. They just didn't have the resources to continue with two (already down from eight!) separate stories. Yes, you can argue that they didn't have the resources because they didn't have the players, but I'm not sure that's the case. I really think this game lacked a cohesive vision for expansion beyond the original game.

In short, they bit off more than they could chew.

I love Jadus, I want to see him back in a story, but as Emperor, no. He's batsh*t crazy.

Vowrawn for Emperor! :D

Close to my thinking, as a character whose face I can finally push in, I'd like him to return long enough to do that. As the Emperor? No, that's no good. Vowrawn would be acceptable, being alive, intelligent, and not Jadus.

Better yet wasn't Malgus supposedly hanging frozen in carbonite in Zakuul when you defrost?? He was in the background of the cutsceen. Bring him back, let him take over as Emperor... can you see the storytelling for THAT face to face with your character who kicked his backside and tossed him off the throne to start with in Battle of Ilum FP?! Now THAT would make for some fun.

Way too much Emperor fixation going on here. :)

And NO.. the Empire in Star Wars does not always have an Emperor. 40+ years of IP and story proliferation in the IP should have demonstrated this my now... and simplistic fixations on an Emperor is just not very open minded or imaginative in my view.

Besides.. we are the audience here... not the script writers.... so we consume what they give us and how they give it to us.

Edited by Andryah

OK, so tell me: who is in each of these roles?

* Emperor (of the Sith Empire)

* Chancellor

* High Chief Muckety-muck (HCMm) of the Republic military.

Quickly, now, I want a *definitive*, *SINGLE* answer to each of those.

I think there is, indeed, just one name as Chancellor, but there are two names cited for Emperor (keep your ears open during the Copero FP, on characters who picked different sides on Iokath), and there's a real doubt as to who is the HCMm if you pick the Empire on Iokath.

I can't give an answer for each because obviously it's story dependent based on your choices. But there are certainly options for each role if the writers wanted to fill them.

I'd also object to the notion that there has to be a single name for each of those spots at all. Why is that essential?

It was kind of a running theme at the end of Vanilla that an absentee emperor did nothing for the Empire and it's principles were stronger and more important. As far as Chancellor we got pretty conclusive evidence that it's in name only and the real power players would likely be in another position. And head of the Republic Military? Honestly pick anyone and give them an appropriate title.

Yes bring back that insane moron so my agent can kill him again. That fight was the most satisfying thing I ever done in my pathetic life.

He betrayed to the Empire the moment he started to mention "together we can build a stronger empire" sure, no thanks, I heard that bs before.

No one should consider themselves above the Empire.

In Iokath if you betray Acina. Vowrawn is the new Emperor, if you don't Acina is still Empress. It creates a story vacuum for leadership for later storytelling. Why class stories don't mention each other at all if they can avoid it.

Edited by Magnusheart

In Iokath if you betray Acina. Vowrawn is the new Emperor, if you don't Acina is still Empress. It creates a story vacuum for leadership for later storytelling. Why class stories don't mention each other at all if they can avoid it.

Yes, but I don't see the issue.

The whole point is that your choices are supposed to matter, that can't happen if different actions don't produce different results. So yes, if you kill someone that person is dead, but the story doesn't lose continuity within itself. The story is based on whatever you chose for that character, it is self contained.

The only time there is an issue is if you want to say that now Character A's story and Character B's story can't co-exist but that has never been the case.

I'd much rather them do a hard reset

It would help them get out of the story bind they're in without things seeming too arbitrary.

Unlike with KOTFE though, it wouldn't be a common enemy story, but rather a wholesale collapse/recession of both Empire and Republic. A new Dark Age could provide fertile ground for non-Mary Sue stories, choices between using resources to rebuild, selfish hoarding or simply striking out at a weakened enemy etc. We wouldn't need an Emperor or a Dark Council. Or we could have a few competing Dark Councils, with a few power hungry Moffs and maybe treacherous senators thrown in for fun. In this kind of scenario it would still be Rep vs Imp, but with the lines a bit blurred, which would work well with the choices our characters can make on Iokath

I'd much rather them do a hard reset

It would help them get out of the story bind they're in without things seeming too arbitrary.

Unlike with KOTFE though, it wouldn't be a common enemy story, but rather a wholesale collapse/recession of both Empire and Republic. A new Dark Age could provide fertile ground for non-Mary Sue stories, choices between using resources to rebuild, selfish hoarding or simply striking out at a weakened enemy etc. We wouldn't need an Emperor or a Dark Council. Or we could have a few competing Dark Councils, with a few power hungry Moffs and maybe treacherous senators thrown in for fun. In this kind of scenario it would still be Rep vs Imp, but with the lines a bit blurred, which would work well with the choices our characters can make on Iokath

What story bind? People keep acting like we're written into a corner but I don't see it. We've got a pretty clear set up going into 6.0.

The Alliance is weakened and will need to unite with one of the previous power houses, who are now also weakened from the war, and help build them up while working to prevent the "enemy" team from getting too strong. It's standard stock and trade of TOR.

Also if by "hard reset" you mean literally resetting the story to before they allowed certain characters to be killed I couldn't disagree more vehemently.

What story bind? People keep acting like we're written into a corner but I don't see it. We've got a pretty clear set up going into 6.0.

The Alliance is weakened and will need to unite with one of the previous power houses, who are now also weakened from the war, and help build them up while working to prevent the "enemy" team from getting too strong. It's standard stock and trade of TOR.

Also if by "hard reset" you mean literally resetting the story to before they allowed certain characters to be killed I couldn't disagree more vehemently.

In the past, we had a leader. Saresh and Marr. Now it can be x or x. or x and x depending on y and z. with each one resulting in story ending a, b, c, d, so instead of a core 2 faction story progression we have a possibility of 4. and with that it makes it harder for them to add story in terms of like Vowrawn is a pushover while Acina is full of backbone. But the story would change to dramatically from the side on who did what. So now we have if you can say. 4 timelines in which they need to adhere to in terms of politcal power of the 2 factions, instead of 1. Maintaining a dominate leadership in story writing helps story progression.

What if you could chose Sylvanas or Arthas for the leader of the Lich King at the end of Warcraft 3. How dramatic would that be for them to try and write that into WoW? They'd have to pick one and reject the other. Like how Kotor 1 Revan is a male and lightside ending. While Kotor 2 is female with lightside ending. If the story diverges too dramatically you end up making a dimension series like Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy filled with what if scenarios that can either be intriguing or incredibly difficult to follow.

In the past, we had a leader. Saresh and Marr. Now it can be x or x. or x and x depending on y and z. with each one resulting in story ending a, b, c, d, so instead of a core 2 faction story progression we have a possibility of 4. and with that it makes it harder for them to add story in terms of like Vowrawn is a pushover while Acina is full of backbone. But the story would change to dramatically from the side on who did what. So now we have if you can say. 4 timelines in which they need to adhere to in terms of politcal power of the 2 factions, instead of 1. Maintaining a dominate leadership in story writing helps story progression.
But... the whole point of a "choose your own adventure" type story telling is that there are multiple story progressions, not one. KOTOR has always been about letting the player shape different stories depending on their choices.

What if you could chose Sylvanas or Arthas for the leader of the Lich King at the end of Warcraft 3. How dramatic would that be for them to try and write that into WoW? They'd have to pick one and reject the other.
I don't play WoW.

Like how Kotor 1 Revan is a male and lightside ending. While Kotor 2 is female with lightside ending. If the story diverges too dramatically you end up making a dimension series like Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy filled with what if scenarios that can either be intriguing or incredibly difficult to follow.
Yeah.... KOTOR 1 and 2 have "specific endings" that were decided well after the games. If you actually played those games though it can go very differently. Same as what we have here.

We've got multiple possible scenarios and outcomes on the table, and I'm sure eventually one specific story will be decided on as canon (or at least as canon as can be for legends) after SWTOR is offline and then we'll all just accept that as the real story.

For now the multiple "timelines" is great and the only actually way to have a setting where your choices matter.

But... the whole point of a "choose your own adventure" type story telling is that there are multiple story progressions, not one. KOTOR has always been about letting the player shape different stories depending on their choices.

I don't play WoW.

Yeah.... KOTOR 1 and 2 have "specific endings" that were decided well after the games. If you actually played those games though it can go very differently. Same as what we have here.

We've got multiple possible scenarios and outcomes on the table, and I'm sure eventually one specific story will be decided on as canon (or at least as canon as can be for legends) after SWTOR is offline and then we'll all just accept that as the real story.

For now the multiple "timelines" is great and the only actually way to have a setting where your choices matter.

A choose your adventure with too much decision power in an MMO writes yourself into a corner.

Edited by Magnusheart

A choose your adventure with too much decision power in an MMO writes yourself into a corner.
Again, what corner are they written into?

EDIT: To clarify they have in the past kept multiple story progressions going without issue. You already have several different dialogue options available in any given interaction. Not really an issue.

Edited by Karameck