Noob questions I need help with

Bosefus_

First off, this is my first MMO, I'm not a gamer and I don't chat on the internet. I know these are very stupid questions, but I would like to know the answer. Please refrain from bashing me. And if it's any consolation at all, I now know what the word 'noob' means, and I even included it in my title.

What is "mob"? It sounds like computer characters that you fight, but I'm not sure.

What is an "instance"? Like saying wait for a planet to be on it's second instance.

What is "Rakata", "Columni", and "Tionese". They are vendors on the Imperial Fleet, but what do the names mean?

What is "power" when referring to a characters attributes? As in a mod that gives +24 power?

Same question, only with "Critical"?

What is the difference between "Shield", "Armor", and "Defense" in mods and armor?

What is "NPS"? Someone told me my character was a NPS.

What is "OPS"? When playing PVP, I am sometimes in an OPS group.

I have a bunch more, I just can't think of them. Anyway, if anyone can help me I would really appreciate it.

First off, this is my first MMO, I'm not a gamer and I don't chat on the internet. I know these are very stupid questions, but I would like to know the answer. Please refrain from bashing me. And if it's any consolation at all, I now know what the word 'noob' means, and I even included it in my title.

What is "mob"? It sounds like computer characters that you fight, but I'm not sure.

What is an "instance"? Like saying wait for a planet to be on it's second instance.

What is "Rakata", "Columni", and "Tionese". They are vendors on the Imperial Fleet, but what do the names mean?

What is "power" when referring to a characters attributes? As in a mod that gives +24 power?

What is the difference between "Shield", "Armor", and "Defense" in mods and armor?

I have a bunch more, I just can't think of them. Anyway, if anyone can help me I would really appreciate it.

Mob = any enemy. In this use, it's singular or plural

Instance = those green (or blue for group) doors you pass through? those are separate individual copies of that part of the game, created on the spot just for you (or you and your team)

Tionese (etc) refer to types of commendations you can get at endgame; like planet ones, but at level 50

Power would be more damage to force abilities, tech for non-force

Shield is a type of item that only characters or companions with that slot can use.

Critical = your chance to get a 'crit', a higher damage than normal on that attack. Armor = incoming damage reduction, defense = less chance to get hit (or the other way around, not certain)

NPS? DPS maybe. It means damage per second, and means that your class is focused on dealing damage (instead of healing or tanking)

OPS? No idea. But Ops is short for Operations, which are high level instances for 8 players instead of 4

actually noob is a derogatory term for someone who is clueless but not necessarily new, you are more a newb, new but willing to research and learn....and that is no bad thing :)

spot on with MOB, differing opinions as to whether it is a mobile beast or whether it stands for "Monster or Beast", but you've got the gist.

for "Rakata", "Columni", and "Tionese", have a search on http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Main_Page

an instance is a copy of an area that may be just for you, you and group or a limited number of players.

a crit or critical is the percentage chance all of your abilities have of doing extra damage or healing (double damage in old D+D, but I'm new here myself so not sure what the multiplier used is).

for all the stats if you open your character window in game ("C" on your keyboard) and hover your mouse over the ability, it should tell you what it means to your character.

Not sure on some of the others.....pretty newb here myself :)

Mobs are non-person, computer controlled enemy creatures.

Instances are what all mmos are small zones, with boss encounters and spefic loots with each boss inside that you kill, with special tactics.. actually instances are servers that holding a zone, but mostly "instance" word in wow and so many mmporgs used for dungeons, flash points and so on.

ill skip a few since i cant 100% answer as im newbie to swtor as well :p

shield, did you even read the tooltip :p from your questions i take you are a force user. shield is a chance u get damage reduction when atacked, the absorbtion rating shows how much damage will be reduced when shield pops up.

critical is extra damage when you hit an enemy, a bonus damage for hitting stronger and harder to enemy :)

force : its bonus damage for non - melee atacks, mostly special atacks.

armor is equal to armor that knights and warriors used to wear in mediavel age, the armor that protecs you, as a stat, its a damage reduction against basic melee atacks.

defence is a total stat of your chances to parry - deflect - avoid (dodge) incoming atacks from various sources.

ops is a group bigger than 4 man, normal parties - groups consists of 4 man. any group bigger than 4 man have to turn into operation (ops) group to allow invite more into same group.

and yea we all been newbies, so dont worry :)

Edited by dirtycarebear

actually noob is a derogatory term for someone who is clueless but not necessarily new, you are more a newb, new but willing to research and learn....and that is no bad thing :)

Noob is not necessarily a derogatory term to be honest, the way the OP used it, he used it as the short form version of noobie/newbie/new to the game/person that doesn't have much experience.

On the other hand, it CAN be used as a derogatory term, it all depends on the context on how it is used. Kind of like how the word 'kid' can be used as the proper term when talking about a young person, but it can also be used as an insult implying that a persons opinion resembles that of a child who is talking about something they have no clue about.

As a general rule of thumb, that of course might change depending on the community you are in...

noob or n00b = someone who plays as if they are brand new to the game, have no clue what they're doing and refuse any sort of advice or help because they think they are great players. It's typically a bad thing, because it used to refer to people who were bad and refused to get better because they were clueless on how bad they were.

newb = someone new to the game but is willing to take advice because they know they're not very good yet.

MOB was used first back in the days of MUDS and it was short for Mobile OBject, which was pretty much always a monster of some sort you attacked.

Edited by VanorDM

spot on with MOB, differing opinions as to whether it is a mobile beast or whether it stands for "Monster or Beast", but you've got the gist.

Actually, "mob" dates back to text-based role-playing games (MUDs or Multi-User Dungeons/Dimensions) and was short for Mobile OBject. :p

Mob means an enemy.

Instance is a part of the world that is copied for each player or group as they enter it. It is those Green doors that you see when you walk around the world. (They are red if you cannot enter them or Blue if you're in a group.)

The Rakata, Columi and Tionese vendors sell gear that you can buy using Rakata, Columni and Tioneese commendations. You get those at the Endgame, aka lvl 50. As for the words Rakata, Columi and Tionese, they are species. You can find the Wookieepedia articles Here, Here and Here

Power increases damage and healing for your abilities.

Critical Chance is the chance that a Melee/Ranged/Force/Tech attack/ability will deal critical damage or perform a critical heal.

Shield Chance is the chance of your shield to absorb an attack.

Shield Absorb Rating is how much damage the shield will absorb.

Armor reduces the amount of damage suffered from Kinetic and Energy attacks.

Defense is the chance to avoid incoming attacks.

I have never seen the term NPS before, but from what i read on Google means No Problems. Although I usually use NP and I believe that most people do as well. NP means No problem.

Ops is short for Operations. Operations are endgame, instanced, repeatable adventures for cooperative group-play. Ops are designed for groups of 8 or 16 players. An Ops group (Operation Group) is a way for more than 4 people to group up. That may be for Operations (obviously), Taking down World Bosses or PvP. The size limit for an Ops Group is 24 people.

I think that's it. See you in-game. :D

An instance, in addition to the other explanations already mentioned, can be for planets (or anything really) as well. Look in the top left of your screen and you'll see Dromund Kaas 1 or Dromund Kass 2 for example. When an area gets a certain number of players a second version is created to help lessen the load the servers have to process the game.

As for the difference between "Shield", "Armor", and "Defense" in mods and armor it affects the stats of the same name. Only "tank" classes can use shields. Game mechanic wise this was already answered, but to restate they all add together in various ways to make your character harder to kill. For a more detailed and mathematical answer check the various tank class forums (specifically there is a great thread in the Assassin forum).

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=78826

Edited by magus_d