New Alacrity Threshold in 6.0 Equivalent to the Old 1860

ReeRoo

percentage goals are still exactly the same as before

1.0 = 50.00% (only obtainable by lightning sorc w/ Polarity active)

1.1 = 36.36% (only obtainable by lightning sorc w/ Polarity active)

1.2 = 25.00%

1.3 = 15.38%

1.4 = 7.14%

1.5 = 0.00%

(Values rounded to 4 places, actual value is [(1.5 / Target_GCD) - 1]

Void_Singer, much respect, but a Sorc doesn't need to be Lightning spec to make 36%

My Corruption Sorc can make it with Polarity Shift also.

Can someone clear something up for me regarding Alacrity and GCD? I still see people talking about the thresholds for GCD, but in the 6.0 patch notes, under Items + Economy, there's a line stating "The global cooldown and cooldown of stims is no longer affected by Alacrity."

So does this mean all the talk about Alacrity thresholds for GCD reduction is rendered obsolete?

Can someone clear something up for me regarding Alacrity and GCD? I still see people talking about the thresholds for GCD, but in the 6.0 patch notes, under Items + Economy, there's a line stating "The global cooldown and cooldown of stims is no longer affected by Alacrity."

So does this mean all the talk about Alacrity thresholds for GCD reduction is rendered obsolete?

No, that was a poorly worded patch note. I don't have time to dig up the original discussion about it, but basically it was referring to stims only, and the GCD thresholds still exist.

No, that was a poorly worded patch note. I don't have time to dig up the original discussion about it, but basically it was referring to stims only, and the GCD thresholds still exist.

Ah gotcha! So only the CD & GCD of stims are affected. That makes sense. Thanks for clearing it up!

good catch, my bad, I edited the previous post..

I have spent some time messing with this on both my Corruption Sorc and my Seer Sage. I can manage 4654 Alacrity, which gives a permanent Alacrity of 19.44%

With Relic and Mental Alacrity (Sage equivalent 20% Alacrity boost) I can temporarily get that to 43,72%

My guildmates are insisting that crit is currently "broken", and Alacrity-heavy builds produce more DPS/HPS for now

The thing is, Sage doesn't have a "basic attack" type heal to spam for testing purposes; that is, there is no available heal which is insta-cast and has no CD

I have spent some time messing with this on both my Corruption Sorc and my Seer Sage. I can manage 4654 Alacrity, which gives a permanent Alacrity of 19.44%

With Relic and Mental Alacrity (Sage equivalent 20% Alacrity boost) I can temporarily get that to 43,72%

My guildmates are insisting that crit is currently "broken", and Alacrity-heavy builds produce more DPS/HPS for now

The thing is, Sage doesn't have a "basic attack" type heal to spam for testing purposes; that is, there is no available heal which is insta-cast and has no CD

I know nothing about Crit being broken, but for all my non-sorc, non-arsenal/carnage toons, I only go for 1.4s GCD, (with the relic to pop it down to 1.3) and then spam crit..... just too expensive to go lower on other classes.

• 5 months later...
Sage has access to saber strike.

Find a training dummy and saber strike it to oblivion.

You'll count the activations, not the hits.

(Last Activation Timestamp) / (Total Activations - 1 Activation) = Raw GCD

=8-)

Edited by orig_mrrabbit

• 2 months later...
Alacrity noob here. I see people talking about using StarParse to record their APM and calculate their GCD that way. Is the in-game cast time not accurate for determining GCD? For instance, a 1.5 sec cast ability that reads as 1.40 sec in the tooltip means I am at the 1.4 GCD threshold, right? Also, is the time on the in-game castbar accurate? Because I've noticed that <x.4 rounds down... does this mean a 1.5 sec cast ability that is now 1.34 sec cast but only shows 1.3 on the castbar when casting = 1.3 GCD or am I slower than that?

Alacrity noob here. I see people talking about using StarParse to record their APM and calculate their GCD that way. Is the in-game cast time not accurate for determining GCD? For instance, a 1.5 sec cast ability that reads as 1.40 sec in the tooltip means I am at the 1.4 GCD threshold, right? Also, is the time on the in-game castbar accurate? Because I've noticed that <x.4 rounds down... does this mean a 1.5 sec cast ability that is now 1.34 sec cast but only shows 1.3 on the castbar when casting = 1.3 GCD or am I slower than that?

No, you are confusing casting time with the global cooldown and they are separate things. The global cooldown counts for all your skills (a few skills ignore this but then it mentions that specifically) so you can't spam skills faster than the global cooldown. But casting time =/= cooldown (individual skill) or global cooldown (all skills except those that ignore it).

All three of those things are calculated differently and separately.

No, you are confusing casting time with the global cooldown and they are separate things. The global cooldown counts for all your skills (a few skills ignore this but then it mentions that specifically) so you can't spam skills faster than the global cooldown. But casting time =/= cooldown (individual skill) or global cooldown (all skills except those that ignore it).

All three of those things are calculated differently and separately.

Doesn't alacrity have the same effect on all three though? E.g., 10% alacrity = 10% speed boost to GCD, casting times, channel times, and cooldowns for most skills? It's just that the default GCD = 1.5, so 10% alacrity = 1.36 repeating, which the game rounds up to 1.4 GCD (i.e., the surplus alacrity is wasted)?

Edited by TheAdoringFan

Doesn't alacrity have the same effect on all three though? E.g., 10% alacrity = 10% speed boost to GCD, casting times, channel times, and cooldowns for most skills? It's just that the default GCD = 1.5, so 10% alacrity = 1.36 repeating, which the game rounds up to 1.4 GCD (i.e., the surplus alacrity is wasted)?

Yes, that's how I understand it in regards to GCD -- and how fast you can mash buttons. For channeling and ability CD timers, the extra alacrity is not wasted. It works properly.

Edited by Rion_Starkiller

Yes, that's how I understand it in regards to GCD and how fast you can mash buttons. For casting times and ability timers, the extra alacrity is NOT wasted. It works properly.

I see, so if I have a 1.5 sec cast ability that now takes 1.34 seconds to cast (according to tooltip) and the castbar itself says 1.3s, it will cast in that amount of time, but there will still be a .06 second delay before I can activate my next ability (because I'm still at 1.4s GCD)?

1.0 = 50.00% (only obtainable by Lightning Sorcerer w/ Polarity active and Focal Lightning procced)

1.1 = 36.36% (only obtainable by Any Sorcerer w/ Polarity active)

1.2 = 25.00%

1.3 = 15.38%

1.4 = 7.14%

1.5 = 0.00%

So I'm curious how these numbers get derived a bit...they seem a little bit higher (to a lot bit higher) than I would think. 0.1 out of 1.5 is roughly 6.67%, so why isn't each Alacrity threshold drawn at that line (as in, 6.67% for 1.4 GCD, 13.34% for 1.3 GCD, 20% for 1.2 GCD, etc)?

Does the formula somehow not work in the way the up-front numbers would indicate?

Edited by JLazarillo

So I'm curious how these numbers get derived a bit...they seem a little bit higher (to a lot bit higher) than I would think. 0.1 out of 1.5 is roughly 6.67%, so why isn't each Alacrity threshold drawn at that line (as in, 6.67% for 1.4 GCD, 13.34% for 1.3 GCD, 20% for 1.2 GCD, etc)?

Does the formula somehow not work in the way the up-front numbers would indicate?

NewCD = BaseCD / (1 + Alacrity%) where Alacrity% is expressed as a rational number.

Meaning, the new ability cooldown duration is equal to the base (original unmodified) cooldown divided by (1+Alacrity percentage as a decimal value.)

You can replace "cooldown duration" with activation time or channel duration as applicable to the specific ability.

This is why goal Alacrity Percentage breakpoints for certain GCDs don't change between level cap increases.

Some examples:

Wandering Mend, the seer sage healing ability which jumps between targets up to 4 charges, has a base cooldown of 15 seconds (with no alacrity). There are no utilities or set bonuses which modify this ability's cooldown.

BaseCD Alacrity% NewCD

15 15.39% 12.99939336

15 7.14% 14.00037334

15 16.28% 12.8998968

15 7.15% 13.99906673

As you can see, depending on how your computer displays the new ability cooldown and how the server is computing this, you may need a little extra alacrity to give yourself a margin of error. Abilities are rounded to the hundredths, as far as we know, where the GCD is only to the tenths.

Edited by phalczen

Meaning, the new ability cooldown duration is equal to the base (original unmodified) cooldown divided by (1+Alacrity percentage as a decimal value.)

Thanks for that, and for the more detailed explanation which I snipped but gave some good examples.

Whelp, this sucks. I was all excited to get a Combat Sentinel that managed to break 20% Alacrity because I thought I was hitting a GCD of 1.2 seconds. I don't think I'm going to be able to close the gap by another 5%. Back to the drawing board, I guess (but seriously, despite being bummed about this, thanks helping me not be ignorant about it).

Edited by JLazarillo

Thanks for that, and for the more detailed explanation which I snipped but gave some good examples.

Whelp, this sucks. I was all excited to get a Combat Sentinel that managed to break 20% Alacrity because I thought I was hitting a GCD of 1.2 seconds. I don't think I'm going to be able to close the gap by another 5%. Back to the drawing board, I guess (but seriously, despite being bummed about this, thanks helping me not be ignorant about it).

Yeah, you can't hit a long-term GCD of 1.2s, that would require, in the case of Carnage/Combat or Arsenal/Gunnery, 22% alacrity from alacrity rating in gear. That requires 5893 alacrity rating:

Three Mantellian Earpiece/Implants at 441 each for 1323 alacrity rating

Seven Savant Superior Enhancement 80R-1 at 451 each for 3157 alacrity rating

Fourteen Advanced Alacrity Augment 74 at 108 each for 1512 alacrity rating

Yields 5992 alacrity rating for a final percentage of 25.17%

which is possible but you sacrifice significant power (though that is irrelevant in capped content), most of your accuracy, and your only critical rating comes from your mastery and color crystals, and the proficient stim.

Technically, you could opt to wear two pieces of Stimulated, Taskmaster, or Stationary Grit; JK/SW also can wear two pieces of Nimble Master, and Maras/Sents also have access to Dashing Blademaster. All of these five sets have a 2-piece bonus to boost alacrity rating by 2%. If you opt for that, you can get away with only 13 Alacrity augments, freeing up one augment for accuracy. That augment plus a proficient stim gives you 2.4% accuracy, and with the legacy bonus you'll be at 103.4% accuracy. Bottom line, I think you lose too much dps potential by not having a full Descent of the Fearless set, not having 110% accuracy, and having hardly any crit.

However, not all is lost. You can carry enough alacrity rating to reach a 1.0s GCD during your Berserk/Zen windows since B/Z buffs alacrity percentage by 30%. You only need 3728 alacrity rating to hit 17% plus another 3% from your discipline path. You don't have to sacrifice any accuracy, either, and you can still wear Descent of the Fearless. I talk about it in this thread.

It affects them the same but whereas the gcd is only affected by alacrity, individual skills can have other bonuses affecting them. So if a skill has a 1.5 cd base and then reads as 1.4 it could be just the effect of the alacrity but it could also be that there are other effects like from your skill tree or utilities in effect.

Also with your example of 1.36 the casting and cd times are not rounded off. So you will be able to cast skills faster with surplus alacrity even if you don't get to the next threshold in gcd. So it's not wasted as such, but rather the difference may be so small that it's better to put the points in something else.

There are a couple of possible reasons to have more alacrity than the threshold and those are that the rotation runs smoother for you because of casting time and cd being just a little less and therefore matching the rest of your rotation and because of delays in data exchange between your PC and the server meaning that a little surplus can cover such delays.