Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

More off the wall lightsaber styles please

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
More off the wall lightsaber styles please

Tenacity
07.17.2018 , 11:33 AM | #11
Quote: Originally Posted by lordbard View Post
I would just be tickled if the assassin/shadow could wield a single-blade lightsaber instead of the double-blade.
Agreed, I also hate that commandos HAVE to use an assault cannon now (really wish I could play a commando with a blaster rifle, the assault cannons look ridiculous especially on a female trooper. Same goes for bounty hunters, wish that either version could use a blaster rifle like boba fett instead of just pistols. Makes more sense for an operative to use a pistol as well instead of a rifle, since they're close range.

Really, they screwed the pooch when making weapon restrictions in this game, and for no good reason other than to "easily identify opponents" (just another way pvp ruins games).

As for the light whip, I think it's not only an issue of attack animations, but also deflect/reflect animations for incoming blaster fire. All around it's simply too complicated a weapon to have especially in an old game engine like swtor uses.

When I mentioned shoto sabers, I wasnt asking for shorter ones, just more variations of the shoto. I use two attenuated blademaster's shoto sabers on my female sentinel, and it kinda makes it look like she's fighting with daggers or shortswords, and I like that on a female character more than the long standard sabers. I just wish there were more hilt and blade styles available in that length. A vented shoto saber would be awesome, would look almost like a sai https://www.karatemart.com/images/pr...ctagon-sai.jpg
Additionally, I'd like to see a shoto saber added that has a second blade coming out of the bottom of the hilt. We have single bladed sabers that have this style already (a small vent on the back of the hilt, instead of the sides) - but I think if you had a shoto saber with a longer blade coming out of the back it'd make for an interesting weapon, something like a double bladed one-handed saber.

I would also like to see another form of pike-saber added with longer angle-vented additional blades, to look somewhat like a trident: https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped..._2005_hand.jpg
--- Lynx - Powertech Mercenary - Rashkah
Telbasta - Sniper - Operative - Maihos
Leonin - Gunslinger - Scoundrel - Arshia ---
-- Pakhet - Sorceror - Juggernaut - Sorthak

Goreshaga
07.17.2018 , 02:32 PM | #12
I'd also like more Shotos, i think it'd be perfect on my female Sentinel, but the only availables ones are quite ugly.
I like the Satele Shan hilt, so the same one as a shoto would be perfect for me.

FlameYOL
07.17.2018 , 02:41 PM | #13
Quote: Originally Posted by Goreshaga View Post
Don't sorcerers and sages have only 1 lighsaber related ability though ?
If i'm not mistaken, then giving them the whip would only require to change 1 single ability for it to work with them.

Could be tricky fot the KOTFE/ET fighting cutscenes though but considering how ridiculous these cutscenes look with a saberstaff anyways...
Yeah but unless they restrict it to Sith Sorceres/Jedi Sages the animations would have to be reworked for Sith Marauders/Jedi Sentinels and Sith Juggernauts/Jedi Guardians. As it is right now any single-hilt lightsaber may be wielded by any force sensitive class and considering the Sith Warrior/Jedi Knight advanced classes also wield them and their combat abilities use lightsabers often the animations would have to be reworked for a lightsaber whip.
A man can have anything...If he's willing to sacrifice everything

Andryah
07.17.2018 , 02:47 PM | #14
Quote: Originally Posted by FlameYOL View Post
Yeah but unless they restrict it to Sith Sorceres/Jedi Sages the animations would have to be reworked for Sith Marauders/Jedi Sentinels and Sith Juggernauts/Jedi Guardians. As it is right now any single-hilt lightsaber may be wielded by any force sensitive class and considering the Sith Warrior/Jedi Knight advanced classes also wield them and their combat abilities use lightsabers often the animations would have to be reworked for a lightsaber whip.
Yeah... the most likely way we would ever see a light-whip would be if they actually introduced a new class that was built specifically for it. Given we are almost 7 years in on this MMO now.. and no new classes have been released, or even teased about, I doubt this will ever happen.
When you find yourself surrounded by hostile Clowns... always go for the "Juggler" first.

FlameYOL
07.17.2018 , 05:17 PM | #15
Quote: Originally Posted by Andryah View Post
Yeah... the most likely way we would ever see a light-whip would be if they actually introduced a new class that was built specifically for it. Given we are almost 7 years in on this MMO now.. and no new classes have been released, or even teased about, I doubt this will ever happen.
Indeed. I personally never thought there would be new classes, you'd have to do a new class story and tie that in to the content that already exists, not to mention rework the planets to fit the class story's area, then get a crew of 5 new companions... ETC. Point being I never thought new classes would be added due to all the work that would require of it to implement into the game.

MadDutchman
07.17.2018 , 08:56 PM | #16
The only way we could get a new "class" is if it were purely cosmetic. No special story or anything, probably not even any new cut scenes, just something for people to spend CC on and suspend disbelief while leveling.

Even that is highly unlikely though.
Demand: Are. We. There. Yet.

Use my referral link for free goodies.

TrixxieTriss
07.17.2018 , 09:35 PM | #17
Quote: Originally Posted by lordbard View Post
I would just be tickled if the assassin/shadow could wield a single-blade lightsaber instead of the double-blade.
How about being able to turn off one end of the double Sabre like Dart Maul could, which creates a different stance, maybe it becomes a skank stance

TrixxieTriss
07.17.2018 , 09:39 PM | #18
Quote: Originally Posted by FlameYOL View Post
I think it makes sense to have it restricted to just Sins and shadows.

TrixxieTriss
07.17.2018 , 10:10 PM | #19
Quote: Originally Posted by Andryah View Post
Agreed +1

Sadly, the window for an new classes has probably passed us by. Id take 100:1 odds it will never happen, but I’d be extremely happy if they did.

There are so many missed opportunities in developing this game’s extended story universe. Ones that make more sense then the last 3 years.

Rise of the Hutt Cartel would have been a perfect time to create a “real” third faction. Like an Underworld one that is run by the Hutts.

They could have added a new classes and allowed smugglers and Mercs to join it. Then slowly added a new class over the expansions. Like a Republic SiS agent, Imperial trooper and maybe slaver (or something like that) for Underworld or possibly a bouncer/body guard/bruiser.
Even adding a 4th faction like the Chiss could have been done.

It makes more sense for the Republic or Empire to be at war or allied to the underworld or Chiss ascendancy. A lot more sense IMO than the last 2 expansions.

There were so many possibilities with the existing SW extended universe factions or cultures or groups, that adding the eternal throne wasn’t necessary and IMO, departed from what SW EU was about.

GSF Could have been more mission oriented as well as pvp. It could have rivaled the old Xwing series, which are still the best SW space battles after 20 years and people still play them (currently getting a new graphics update too).
No joystick support put a lot of people off (those that were hoping for a Xwing vs Tie fighter experience), I won’t play it because of that. It’s not SW immersive for me. There were non swtor players who loved the Xwing games, just waiting to come play swtor for the space sim experience.
This was another major missed opportunity by Bioware and EA. It’s too late for swtor, but at least they sort of learnt that lesson for SWBF series and made it more SW space sim (https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=KyFYKeSyKJ0)

EA screwed the pooch really hard by pulling so much funding from swtor. SW IP = make money and I just don’t think EA considered they had one of the biggest and richest diamond mines in the world. Instead they treated it like a pile of off cut cubic zirconia’s they wanted to offload for a quick buck. Then Bioware flushed a lot of those down the drain.

If they could convince Disney to give them another go and extend the licence just for a SW TOR game, they could make an awesome swtor 2 and do it right. But alas, we know that won’t happen because Disney are unlikely to give EA another chance, considering how theyve handled the IP and the lack of producing enough games in the licence period. Plus, I don’t think EA would properly support the game past launch and would rather make a quick buck and move on,

FlameYOL
07.18.2018 , 02:37 AM | #20
Quote: Originally Posted by TrixxieTriss View Post
I think it makes sense to have it restricted to just Sins and shadows.
The lightsaber whip that is? I figured it would work better for Sorcs tbh.

Quote: Originally Posted by TrixxieTriss View Post
Agreed +1

Sadly, the window for an new classes has probably passed us by. Id take 100:1 odds it will never happen, but I’d be extremely happy if they did.

There are so many missed opportunities in developing this game’s extended story universe. Ones that make more sense then the last 3 years.

Rise of the Hutt Cartel would have been a perfect time to create a “real” third faction. Like an Underworld one that is run by the Hutts.

They could have added a new classes and allowed smugglers and Mercs to join it. Then slowly added a new class over the expansions. Like a Republic SiS agent, Imperial trooper and maybe slaver (or something like that) for Underworld or possibly a bouncer/body guard/bruiser.
Even adding a 4th faction like the Chiss could have been done.

It makes more sense for the Republic or Empire to be at war or allied to the underworld or Chiss ascendancy. A lot more sense IMO than the last 2 expansions.

There were so many possibilities with the existing SW extended universe factions or cultures or groups, that adding the eternal throne wasn’t necessary and IMO, departed from what SW EU was about.

GSF Could have been more mission oriented as well as pvp. It could have rivaled the old Xwing series, which are still the best SW space battles after 20 years and people still play them (currently getting a new graphics update too).
No joystick support put a lot of people off (those that were hoping for a Xwing vs Tie fighter experience), I won’t play it because of that. It’s not SW immersive for me. There were non swtor players who loved the Xwing games, just waiting to come play swtor for the space sim experience.
This was another major missed opportunity by Bioware and EA. It’s too late for swtor, but at least they sort of learnt that lesson for SWBF series and made it more SW space sim (https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=KyFYKeSyKJ0)

EA screwed the pooch really hard by pulling so much funding from swtor. SW IP = make money and I just don’t think EA considered they had one of the biggest and richest diamond mines in the world. Instead they treated it like a pile of off cut cubic zirconia’s they wanted to offload for a quick buck. Then Bioware flushed a lot of those down the drain.

If they could convince Disney to give them another go and extend the licence just for a SW TOR game, they could make an awesome swtor 2 and do it right. But alas, we know that won’t happen because Disney are unlikely to give EA another chance, considering how theyve handled the IP and the lack of producing enough games in the licence period. Plus, I don’t think EA would properly support the game past launch and would rather make a quick buck and move on,
Yeah kind of a shame that we didn't got more class when the potential was there for it, but the game shot itself in the foot when each class had a unique story. Developing a new one would've always been hard due to this, at best we can get a new advanced class and even that is kind of pointless unless they rework things in such ways it makes a new advanced class different yet fun to play (as well as efficient please).
Charles actually talked about this, originally they did had three factions planned out but I don't remember the specific reasons but sometimes the storylines didn't worked as intended I guess so they cut back to 2 factions.
Meh, I disagree. The EU was well... about expanding, playing on your own little sandbox, that's what Bioware did (and still does), honestly I'm more frustrated we didn't get to have enough time with that story, it had a lot of potential and a lot of it is missed because it is an expansion and not a full game.
I never played the X-wing series so I can't comment on it but I found GSF to be pretty fun to play, when I used to play it that is, I think the biggest problem is how it was quickly forgotten shortly after launch never to be touched again until Keith took over. If you'd told me in early 2017 that Keith would release a new GSF map I wouldn't believe it. That being said I think there is always improvements they could try to make but alas they're likely beyond the game's budget, some guild ship PVP, ETC.