Missing role?

It's definately healer. I was trying to run esseles today and we had 3 tank classes and not 1 healer. It seems much harder to find a healer. Btw didn't have any trouble with esseles.

That's because Esseles is a 2-player flashpoint that doesn't need a tank or healer.

I was in beta, too, and there were tanks everywhere. Not only that, but everybody wanted to be Sentinels (myself included). It was hard just to find a trooper or smuggler. But when I get into the real game, I'll be a healing inquisitor, and I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of people from beta start the real game as healers, and hopefully we'll have a more even mix.

Of course, it doesn't help keep the flow even when out of 4 classes, 2 are only tanks, one is mainly a healer, and one can really go both ways (from what I understand), so the tank:healer ratio is about 5:3. And that's all classes being equally chosen, but they aren't.

I was under the assumption though that only one spec for jedi knight/sith warrior out of the 5 was the tank (4 dps and 1 tank), and the the same goes for jedi counselor/sith inquisitor (3 dps specs, 1 healer and 1 tank). The same goes for the other 2 classes and their specs (one has 1 tank spec, the other has 1 healer spec).

It seemed at least from looking, that both healers and tanks are even.

But tbh, I can't see how people would rather stand back and heal instead of shoot force lightning/throw boulders at people and jump in crushing people as jedi/sith.

Hopefully things will even out though, will see.

Edited by Zikah

you could make a level 1 on your prefered server and check /who and see what classes currently are played most and make your decision that way ?

just something i made up just now . dunno if it accualy works that way still ?

i think in beta i could tho ...

The feedback around my friends is that Sith Sorcerers and IAs will be quite popular with their heals, but most people who played tanks in the beta are going with tanks and skilling up on their Biochem crafting skills so that they can make and use the top-line stims for healing purposes.

Party healers have a slightly harder time in SWTOR at the moment than in other games such as WOW or EQ2, because the Target of Target, macros and mouse-over focussing are not implemented. That is not to say that the healing classes are broken, just that a lot of the shortcuts people have come to rely on elsewhere are not available.

A survey poll on the forum stated that:

Around 52% of characters are going to be DPS.

Around 27% of characters are going to be tanks.

Around 21% of characters are going to be healers.

Personally, I think I will choose the least used class/spec combination: healer smuggler. However, I have to admit that light saber are very attractive... I hope I will resist the tentation.

Edited by _Tarkus_

From the beta, I noticed that there were more tanks than healers, but that's not to say that healers were exactly hard to find. We pretty much designated one guy to be the healer for most flashpoints, which wasn't too hard as almost all classes can spec healer when required.

This is because they made the ACs do the specialization, and not the talents..

You can't decide your role here.. it's automatically chosen by your advanced class..

and the advanced classes differ to much

This is why there are so few healers..

I was under the assumption though that only one spec for jedi knight/sith warrior out of the 5 was the tank (4 dps and 1 tank), and the the same goes for jedi counselor/sith inquisitor (3 dps specs, 1 healer and 1 tank). The same goes for the other 2 classes and their specs (one has 1 tank spec, the other has 1 healer spec).

It seemed at least from looking, that both healers and tanks are even.

But tbh, I can't see how people would rather stand back and heal instead of shoot force lightning/throw boulders at people and jump in crushing people as jedi/sith.

Hopefully things will even out though, will see.

You're counting specs, and not actual numbers of players in each role. As Blizzard keeps discovering, even if you offer players the choice to go for a less-played role within their class, you can't force them to choose it. Someone who is an avid DPSer will only DPS, even if they could theoretically respec into tanking/healing.