PSA: Major Materials Inventory Bug

UlaVii

A guild member wrote about a horrible bug tonight and the few of us that tested it could recreate it 100% of the time. One guild member said they lost a stack of 1000 mats due to this a month ago and filed an in-game bug report that has gone unanswered. Another said they submitted a report 2 weeks ago and got a reply a few days ago saying that customer services can't help!

The bug is that if you split a stack of crafting materials from your normal Inventory and drop that split stack straight into the new Materials Inventory then the rest of the stack will vanish from your normal inventory. The number that you dropped into the Material Inventory do go in there but the rest of the stack vanishes from normal inventory. It does not go into the Material Inventory. It is just lost into the void.

I've tested it with different quantities and both high and low level mats. I made a recording to show this happening:

https://i.imgur.com/nUavJh8.gif

The only work around for now is to make sure you drop the split stack into your normal inventory first and then pick it up again to drop it into the Material Inventory.

Please fix this urgently. If it was the other way around and we could magic thousands of mats out of thin air then there would be an emergency patch within a few days.

Edited by UlaVii

I'm curious why you would want to keep materials outside your materials inventory in the first place.

(*Keep*, that is. I can see wanting to take some out of the materials inventory to sell them on the GTN, but I can't see any other reason not to just stuff them all in there as soon as you get them.)

I'm curious why you would want to keep materials outside your materials inventory in the first place.

(*Keep*, that is. I can see wanting to take some out of the materials inventory to sell them on the GTN, but I can't see any other reason not to just stuff them all in there as soon as you get them.)

So you have 1000 mats and want to sell 500 of em. So you split the stack and drop half of em in your mat inventory and then sell the remainder and lose 500 mats because you did so.

This shouldn't happen really. Even if there's a workaround, this should just work properly.

So you have 1000 mats and want to sell 500 of em. So you split the stack and drop half of em in your mat inventory and then sell the remainder and lose 500 mats because you did so.

This shouldn't happen really. Even if there's a workaround, this should just work properly.

You can split them as you take them *out* of the materials inventory, but yes, it should work properly no matter what order you do it in.

Yeah this happened to me as well, but with just 50 items. To answer why split them in inventory, I wanted to break down half of them and save the other half for crafting.. think assembly components. They stay in inventory after you craft them.

Another case is where I get processed isotopes in a flashpoint. They stay in inventory as well. I tried simply right clicking to store them. Also tried clicking the store to inventory button. A couple of times I got an error saying there was a problem with storing them, and they just disappeared.

Yeah this happened to me as well, but with just 50 items. To answer why split them in inventory, I wanted to break down half of them and save the other half for crafting.. think assembly components. They stay in inventory after you craft them.

Steve was asking (I think) why you don't split the stack when taking them out of mat storage, rather than when putting them in. But, I suppose it depends upon where you got the mats from. If, for example, you bought a stack of mats from the GTN, you may want to split the stack before putting some in Mat storage.

A possible workaround for the bug would be to always put the full stack into Mat storage and then take out the amount you want to keep in Inventory.

Another case is where I get processed isotopes in a flashpoint. They stay in inventory as well. I tried simply right clicking to store them. Also tried clicking the store to inventory button. A couple of times I got an error saying there was a problem with storing them, and they just disappeared.

The usual process is just to click on the "store to Inventory" button. You may need to right-click on the button at some point, and select the highest level of mats, for the Processed Isotopes to be stored this way.

Edited by JediQuaker

aside from obvious reasons like selling, trading, and transferring, there's also monitoring crafting consumption (it's how I found the crit bug), being able to actually see the remaining mats you are using together (which is materials storage is a dumpster fire for) etc ad nauseam.

aside from obvious reasons like selling, trading, and transferring, there's also monitoring crafting consumption (it's how I found the crit bug), being able to actually see the remaining mats you are using together (which is materials storage is a dumpster fire for) etc ad nauseam.

Fair enough (although diagnosing their bugs is not a good reason for it), although it's worth noting the second half of what I said here (highlighted for clarity):

You can split them as you take them *out* of the materials inventory, but yes, it should work properly no matter what order you do it in.

Got a reply from Customer Services in regards to my in-game bug report for this

"It's a bug we are aware of and it will be fixed in a future update"

So standard copy and paste in response to a bug that has been on the live server since 6.0 last year, it has the potential to affect every player, is 100% reproducible and clearly lots of people have fallen victim to and will continue to do so.

Come on Bioware, you can do better than this.

What's annoying about Eric's response is not what he said but the fact he moved the thread so it's hidden away in the Bug Report sub forum and then later Keith posts to say the update which may contain the fix will be in almost 2 weeks.

The point of this thread was to detail the problem and warn players to be careful since this is an item destroying bug that CS (mostly) won't help with which has been ignored for almost 3 months.

Same thing happened to my like 5min ago, i'm new, i don't have money, and i farmed a few hours so i could craft some items to sell for credits (like 5mil for a baby lv50), now they are all gone... nice. Are they going to tap our shoulder in the next patch or there's a chance that they will give us our mats?

• 4 weeks later...
Isn't this supposed to be fixed now? I ask because I just went to craft something which needed Exotic Isotope Stabilizers and realised that somehow I only have 6... I had over 1500 a couple of days ago and haven't crafted anything which uses them in that time the only thing I can think of is I bought a couple of hundred with Jawa scrap to sell on GTN and accidentally bought a few too many so I split the stack and dumped what was left in to my materials tab using the transfer button... Not impressed at all, that's weeks of grinding FPs wasted. Edited by khamseen_air