Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Referral Links and Liars

Icykill_
10.19.2017 , 10:04 AM | #21
Quote: Originally Posted by Tahana View Post
My solution to this issue is that I block those people as soon as I see their adds. If I understand SWTOR's blocking feature correctly I'll never be grouped with that physical person ever regardless of the character that they're on.

Edit: And yes I understand the consequences of it possibly making my queues longer.
Sadly that’s not the case
You can still get grouped with people in pvp and GSF that you have blocked
Blocking a character does not block the account... so if they change characters... you will see them and get grouped with them... there is no block account feature in this game
RIP APAC Players 😢😢😢😢💦
Please click this Refer a Friend link for free stuff

kodrac
10.19.2017 , 10:17 AM | #22
I can guarantee you if you click my link I won't pay you anything. That better?
Quote: Originally Posted by Mournblood View Post
You are not some champion of logic, teaching the uninformed about the finer points of the fallacy of argumentation. Nor are you a Community Manager working for Bioware, though at least your prolific posting would be an improvement.

Qouivandes
10.19.2017 , 10:25 AM | #23
After looking at a link, it wouldn't be a bad idea if the referral link had your account ID instead of upper and lower case letters. might cut down on scams or create more issues...dont know. drive by random thought.
*”˜˜.•°*”˜˜”*°•.˜”* The Cer'qeuil Legacy *”˜.•°*”˜˜”*°•.˜˜”*
•°*”˜.•°*”˜˜.•°*”˜ Ebon Hawk ˜”*°•. ˜˜”*°•.˜”*°•
. This is my referral link. We both get some goodies so feel free to click and earn

Nmyownworld
10.19.2017 , 11:29 AM | #24
Quote: Originally Posted by ChirenGuinn View Post
The only reason this behavior is not actionable, is because there is no negative consequence to the person being tricked. You don't lose credits, items, or anything of value; the only this harmed is that player's ability to trust other players in the game. I hope this thread proves helpful to at least some people out there.
Before an additional confirmation box was implemented in the process of using a referral link, referral link scams were rampant on the forums. At that time, a player could contact CS and get extricated from being linked via referral to another's account. CS may still be able to get you unlinked from a friend referral so that the other person doesn't get the additional monthly Cartel Coins. And, maybe not since the situation involves one player knowingly using a referral link for the promise (sometimes delivered, sometimes not) of in game credits. You can try.

BW itself is shady about describing one aspect of friend referral links, which doesn't help. On their Friends of SWTOR page, in bold letters, "Referred friends who are new to SWTOR can play up to Level 50 free with no time limit as a Free-to-Play player ... " An accurate, but sketchy, statement. F2P: never subbed or made at least a $5 SWTOR store purchase. Using a referral link isn't required to stay F2P with no time limit, but that line implies it is.

JattaGin
10.19.2017 , 11:41 AM | #25
Quote: Originally Posted by orangenee View Post
It's the ones that use the personal touch I find most aggravating. Sidling up to you appearing quite affable then the immortal words "are you a subscriber?" appear in the whisper.
No, don't ignore. Reply this instead:

"Well yes, I am a subscriber. Good that you ask. I am looking for people who use my referral link. <Insert link.> You get free perks, if you click it. What say you?"

And if you don't get a reply, whisper once or twice to ask if he got your message about clicking your referral link. You would really appreciate it if he did.
Bioware offers a friend referal system which gives referred players a couple of goodies (incl. 7 free days of sub and a neat free 10 x inventory slot for every character) and referring players some little shinies and cartel coins.
I would be happy if you choose my referral link to grab your free goodies.

Nmyownworld
10.19.2017 , 11:58 AM | #26
Quote: Originally Posted by JattaGin View Post
No, don't ignore. Reply this instead:

"Well yes, I am a subscriber. Good that you ask. I am looking for people who use my referral link. <Insert link.> You get free perks, if you click it. What say you?"

And if you don't get a reply, whisper once or twice to ask if he got your message about clicking your referral link. You would really appreciate it if he did.
+1

I've been just not responding to referral link whispers.
But now ...

Mdgshorty
10.19.2017 , 12:04 PM | #27
I know this may not be a popular suggestion. Wouldn't it be better if they can do it , that they not allow this in game? This would be reportable like threads here on the forums when it comes to referral links.
Star Forge
Sparkal - Scoundrel - Enduring Dawn
Sparkala - Scoundrel - COTP

7 Days free subscription time + free stuff = http://www.swtor.com/r/nKJJWc

Kyrra_T
10.19.2017 , 12:06 PM | #28
The only people who have used my referral links are people I know in real life. Yeah, I don't have a lot of extra goodies but IMO that's what the referral was 'supposed' to be for. Referring real life friends. Not paying people to get in game goodies.

aerockyul
10.19.2017 , 01:28 PM | #29
I love it when someone calls out the scammer in gen chat and the scammer gets SUPER offended and aggressive in how honest they are. Especially when they're offering 10mil or something else ridiculous. Those guys are the most aggressive in "defending themselves" and the most likely to scam you. They will also balk at paying any amount up front because YOU'RE the real scammer that's going to take their creds and never click on their link. I think that's a perfectly acceptable risk and if they balk at that it is automatic that they were going to scam you.

I hate scammers in the game but it is legitimately entertaining when someone gets had by one and they air it out in fleet chat. I don't mean to make light of the OP's situation, because he knows what he did but some of the squeals of objections by the naive and newb alike are popcorn-worthy on Harbinger.
Keeya, Lill'ya, Cara, Vaisis, SelaunaKahntara, Katie Jak, Reeyen, Kaytee'roxx
Jaista, Katie Bee, Altheeka Eko'va, Misphire
Portrait Gallery ReferralsProud Ashara...ite? Asharan? Team Ashara!

SourOrange
10.19.2017 , 01:53 PM | #30
Quote: Originally Posted by Aeneas_Falco View Post
That credit sellers have subscribed accounts is probably tied to why enforcement against them is so weak in this game.
And why putting even more restrictions on F2P in an effort to stop them does more damage than good. I haven't noticed any change in the steady flow of credit seller spam since the new F2P chat restrictions were implemented- clearly the primary issue is elsewhere.