Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Challenge: the recruit experience

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > PvP
Challenge: the recruit experience

MelliMelon
01.05.2013 , 09:13 PM | #1
Recently I got my sorceror to 50 and decided not to legacy-gear her up. Going from premading on your own guild's faction to solo queueing with an unfamiliar character with bad gear is a very interesting experience that gives you a lot of new perspective. Views on premades, respect for members of the opposite faction, and loss of respect for some on your own are just a few things that change when you do so.

It is quite interesting... maybe I'm just weird. Try it if you want.

mtsr
01.05.2013 , 09:27 PM | #2
the experience is bad for the most part
basically having to pay your dues and have your hat handed to you for many matches.

its the worst when 2x premade is the opponent
recruits are but appetizers to the main course
any team with more than one recruit tier player in the wz is 99% going to lose unless the other team is simarly gimped.

it is uncanny how many times a gimped team is matched up against 1x or 2x premades or vs a team that hasn't even one recruit tier player

matchmaking in swtor is non existent.

one would have thought that because EA runs call of duty or some game like it that they would in fact have had matchmaking in swtor.

now it's been over a year since the game released and EA has dropped the ball, at this point I dont believe they care about matchmaking or parity or leveling their playing fields.

multple threads with over 1000 posts have all but been ignored without as much as a dev response.

if ganking under tiers with overwhelming forces is your bag the PvP in swtor is your game.
From the KOTORS *8 years exp in mmo's

Z-ToXiN
01.06.2013 , 12:48 AM | #3
^ Yet another matchmaking and gear whiner... sigh.

I did something similar once. It is indeed an interesting experience. If anything, spending some time in full recruit can make you a better player because you learn to play in a way that maximizes survivability and you have to make every action count. It can be very frustrating no doubt. But its also quite satisfying when you out-DPS or 1v1 full War Heroes (looking at their HP being over 18-19k for non-tanks anyway) wearing full recruit yourself.

Treat it as a learning experience and dont get too frustrated and you may really learn to play your class a lot better from it and be better for when you are geared.
ADRAAJ SHI'KARI ARRIAN
◙ASSASSiN ╚╬╝ THE BASTION ╚╬╝ POWeRTeCH◙
DECEPTiON HYBRID < ♣ > HYBRID SiN TANK
<JAWA BUNNY RANCH> // <CLiCKERS>

Wrthlessnoob
01.06.2013 , 01:23 AM | #4
I'm having a similar experience gearing up my Assassin that I recently got to 50. After being used to being decently geared for a while on my other 2 50's it was quite the experience playing with recruit. It boils down to "taking it for the team" in whatever way I can. Thanks to 1.6 it is not a very long trip from Recruit mk2 to War hero but I agree it is a learning experience. When you can't use gear advantage as a crutch you find other ways to help the team and do what you can. Throwing out taunts, pulling the ball carrier/a healer to their doom (Love doing that, hate being on the receiving end on that.) Even throwing a guard on someone "more important' (healer usually) Can do a lot even with a small healthpool. Of course this is from the perspective of a hybrid tank sin, which even in recruit can be helpful to the team if played well.

EDiT: Oh and as for legacy gearing up, I would rather make money off molecular stabilizers anyway. Plus you need the shells to upgrade to the next tier. Unless your already Full Elite War hero with tons of comms to spare and already have more credits than you know what to do with, then it's not worth it.
Jedi Covenant

MitchPB
01.06.2013 , 06:52 AM | #5
I'm lazy so i gear my fresh 50's up like this, it blows but you get used to it
<BOG><Failure><It's Lit>

PoliteAssasin
01.06.2013 , 04:01 PM | #6
Just out of curiosity, what made you lose respect for some players by playing in recruit gear?
Manager of Basic Skills For A Better Society. We hand out <basic skill stim>s in PVP to those in need. A donation of 1000 credits can help maintain the basic skills of 10 players for a day. Thousands of Republic PVPers are in dire need of these stims. Head to your local Pub Fleet and donate now!

MelliMelon
01.06.2013 , 04:42 PM | #7
Quote: Originally Posted by PoliteAssasin View Post
Just out of curiosity, what made you lose respect for some players by playing in recruit gear?
No, I mean playing against someone, you end up learning more about how they play compared to playing WITH them.

PoliteAssasin
01.06.2013 , 11:35 PM | #8
Quote: Originally Posted by MelliMelon View Post
No, I mean playing against someone, you end up learning more about how they play compared to playing WITH them.
Ah true. The way you worded it though gave off a different impression. I didn't fully understand.
Manager of Basic Skills For A Better Society. We hand out <basic skill stim>s in PVP to those in need. A donation of 1000 credits can help maintain the basic skills of 10 players for a day. Thousands of Republic PVPers are in dire need of these stims. Head to your local Pub Fleet and donate now!

Raansu
01.07.2013 , 12:25 AM | #9
Quote: Originally Posted by mtsr View Post

one would have thought that because EA runs call of duty or some game like it that they would in fact have had matchmaking in swtor.

now it's been over a year since the game released and EA has dropped the ball, at this point I dont believe they care about matchmaking or parity or leveling their playing fields.
EA does not own CoD. Activision does. EA makes the Medal of Honor series.

EA is not the developer of swtor, BioWare is.

Liryc
01.07.2013 , 10:48 AM | #10
Quote: Originally Posted by Wrthlessnoob View Post
EDiT: Oh and as for legacy gearing up, I would rather make money off molecular stabilizers anyway.
What do you mean you'd rather make money off molecular stabilizers? Rather than what?

Quote: Originally Posted by Wrthlessnoob View Post
EDiT: Plus you need the shells to upgrade to the next tier. Unless your already Full Elite War hero with tons of comms to spare and already have more credits than you know what to do with, then it's not worth it.
I hit 50 on my Sorc about a week ago. So I sent my new Sorc all my spare mods, enhancements, and armorings from my shadow main who had done a lot of min/maxing work and had tons of spares. So I instantly had all lvl 61 and 63 mods (set bonuses were wacky at first b/c I had stalker armorings - for a few days I could slow and interrupt from 35m which was interesting). Mainhand and offhand came first day after a few more wz's with being about 1/2 capped on comms upon dinging. The gear wasn't optimized since a lot of the mods were the high WP variety, but was still much much better than recruit especially considering I was able to augment the armor immediately.

Now a week in, i've got my WH mainhand/offhand, earpeice, implants, 1 relic, all armor except belt. As I am getting a new 63 mod from my shadow, i continue to send the old 61 to my sorc. Its been working out quite beautifully. Given another week of pvp'ing I'll have a fully optimized set of gear.

Not having the shells at first doesn't bother me one bit. It helps i'm running 2pc set bonus pvp, and 2pc set bonus pve so I was able to use lvl 61 non-set bonus armorings from my shadow. And I can use the non-set bonus armorings from bracer/belt to update 3 out of 5 armorings. Belt/Bracer is the best bang for the buck for the BIS mods plus I can make use of the extra 63 armorings.
Liryc [Infiltration Shadow] - Liraa [Sawbones Scoundrel]
Liryyc [Corruption Sorcerer]