Lag/graphic issues

JosephineG

hello,

I am new to SWTOR but not new to online games. I have never had issues like this in the past.

I have contacted tech support in game, in emails and on the phone about 4 times in the last 2.5 days. they tell me my system even tho not the greatest is still able to handle this game with out any major issues, and what updates and issues they saw were fixed and should of been running fine afterwards.

The story:

from day one I was expierencing graphic problems or delays. the graphics are on low and im running a resolution that is actually lower than recomended just to try and make this work. While outside of buildings ( in game play ) everything is smooth and runs fine. where as inside them it is extreamly choppy and has extream lag. I have been told this is because the buildings are more detailed and have more graphics. but if my system is able to handle this why isn't it??? i have decreased the res again as well as am playing in windows mode ( was told this lowers graphics as well ) I am not extreamly computer smart but follow insturctions to the best of my knowledge.

please someone help!!! I enjoy these games, and from the small amount i have played this looks like it's going to be a really great one to play.

much appriciated in advance. :)

hello,

I am new to SWTOR but not new to online games. I have never had issues like this in the past.

I have contacted tech support in game, in emails and on the phone about 4 times in the last 2.5 days. they tell me my system even tho not the greatest is still able to handle this game with out any major issues, and what updates and issues they saw were fixed and should of been running fine afterwards.

The story:

from day one I was expierencing graphic problems or delays. the graphics are on low and im running a resolution that is actually lower than recomended just to try and make this work. While outside of buildings ( in game play ) everything is smooth and runs fine. where as inside them it is extreamly choppy and has extream lag. I have been told this is because the buildings are more detailed and have more graphics. but if my system is able to handle this why isn't it??? i have decreased the res again as well as am playing in windows mode ( was told this lowers graphics as well ) I am not extreamly computer smart but follow insturctions to the best of my knowledge.

please someone help!!! I enjoy these games, and from the small amount i have played this looks like it's going to be a really great one to play.

Hi mate!

Could you please post your computer specifications?

I've heard of this before, people who have smooth graphics outside, but gets massive lag whenever they're inside.

Yes. Without a dxdiag report on your system, we don't have anything to go on, in terms of giving you useful advice. That said, here are some generic things to think about to see if they apply to your system:

Choppiness in gameplay generally implies that game assets are loading slower than normal and/or that they are being swapped into and out of memory frequently. While this data transfer is happening, the game has to pause its rendering until the new assets are in memory and ready for use. Some things that can cause this are: low VRAM, low system RAM, slow VRAM, slow system RAM, slow memory bus speed that causes data transfers from system RAM to VRAM to be slow, a slow CPU that can't keep up with the number of caculations required to generate the more complex interior scenes, a slower graphics card that can't render the more complex interior scenes at speed.

Based on that, you should look at things like:

How much RAM does your system have? If it's less than 3GB, you are more than likely going to have a lot of memory/asset swapping going on while playing the game.

How much VRAM does your graphics card have? Textures take up a lot of memory on the graphics card, and if you have a "low VRAM" card, that will cause the game to load/unload/reload textures constantly, which will lead to choppy game performance. Usually, cards with 1GB of VRAM should be able to hold enough textures to minimize this problem.

What speed is your VRAM? Most of the newer graphics cards will use DDR5, while the older cards used DDR3. DDR5 memory is capable of transfering data much faster than DDR3 memory, so if you have the older, slower memory, your card might be having to slow down it's rendering while it waits for new data to load. And if you have a lower memory card with the slow memory, the effect multiplies.

What programs are you running in the background? If you are running on a system with less than 3GB of RAM, or even 3GB, then your operating system might be having problems keeping the game fully loaded into memory. The operating system will normally take up between 1 and 2 GB of RAM, depending on the features you've chosen. SWTOR will use up pretty close to 2GB of RAM. And that's basically all your RAM used up. So if you run any other applications at the same time you play SWTOR, the operating system is going to have to be constantly swapping memory between RAM and the swap file on the hard drive. Any time this memory swap happens, your game is going to get choppy, which will be most noticeable during the interior scenes that require more data to render.

What speed is your CPU? What brand is your CPU? Rendering complex scenes (scenes with lots of objects and/or characters and/or NPCs requires the CPU to do a lot of calculations to place those objects/characters/NPCs in the world before the graphics card can render them. If your CPU is slow, then the graphics card will have to wait for the world to be created/transformed before it can render the world, leading to choppy rendering. Also, because of the way AMD has designed their chips, they tend to perform worse in gaming applications that Intel chips. So a 3GHz AMD processor will not give the same performance as a 3GHz Intel processor. Also, processors around the 2GHz mark tend to struggle in this game, so faster is definitely better. (note: lots of caveats apply, so this cannot be taken as absolute, but just general info)

Have you overclocked anything? While overclocking can speed things up, if it's not done properly, it can also slow things down. The most common cause of overclocking slow down is when the memory clockspeed and the CPU clockspeed get far enough out of sync to cause data collisions and wait states. So if you have any overclocks, you might want to try removing them and seeing if that helps smoothe things out. If not, you can always put the overclocks back.

Finally, just because a system "should be able to handle" the game, doesn't mean it will handle it well or as well as you think it should. Obviously, your computer is handling the game because you are playing it. But there is some aspect of the computer that is less capable than you want it to be. So you need to provide the information we need in order to point out the weakness. And since computers and software are so complex, you are going to have to be able to provide some pretty technical information in order to help people narrow down the problem. Simply saying "the game gets choppy when I'm in buildings" is far to vague to work with.

I understand. The first thing I noticed was that neither your processor or graphics card are good.

If you check these links you'll see where they are ranked to other processors/cards:

Your Athlon M300 (Search for it)

Your Radeon HD 4200 (search for it)

As you can see, your processor is placed 262, while your graphics card is placed 286. For comparison, my laptop has an Intel i5 processor, and a GeForce GT 420M graphics card.

They are placed:

Processor (460M) - 63th place

Graphics card (420M) - 137th place

My processor works just fine, but my biggest issue is the GT 420M. My gpu constantly overheats which gives me nasty fps drops. And as you can see, my card is placed about 150 spots above yours. My guess is that your gpu (and maybe cpu) gets too warm, plus the fact that your graphics card isn't good at all.

Sorry mate, but I have only two solutions for you:

1. If the problem indeed is overheating, then a cooling board might help you.

2. Buy a new computer (preferably a desktop).

Good luck!

From looking at the computer specs, I have to agree with the above poster. Although your computer will run the game, it won't run it well.

The processor is on the slow side, at only 2 GHz, which means it's going to struggle to keep the game world updated when things get busy and/or complex. Also, as I mentioned before, some of the design choices that AMD makes in their CPU's tend to make them perform "less well" in gaming applications than Intel CPU's. That's also going to be a factor in this problem. Next, the graphics card is definitely going to be a problem since it's a "media card" not a gaming card. It's designed to do desktop graphics and media/DVD playback, but it doesn't have a lot of the features that would help it perform all the rendering tasks it needs to do to keep up with the game. Then there's the fact that this is a laptop computer. Most laptops/notebook computers use components that are designed for lower power usage, not for high performance.

Some things to try are:

1) Make sure that your computer's Audio and Video drivers are as uptodate as they can be. Newer drivers may have more optimizations built into them which could help out.

2) Make sure that your computer's system drivers are up to date. Having updated motherboard drivers might incorporate some optimizations that would help data transfer speeds, network connection issues, how the various components talk to each other, etc.

3) Make sure that you always play games with the computer plugged into the wall. Running on battery power can let the computer throttle the chipset clock speeds down significantly, in order to make the battery power last longer. This will kill your gaming performance.

4) Check the computer's power management settings and make sure they are set to "High Performance" when you are running the game. Sometimes, even if laptops are plugged in, the power settings will allow the operating system to throttle clock speeds down. Using "High Performance" tries to force the computer to run at top speed.

5) Check some of the sticky threads about improving performance. You'll want to do things like disabling Anti-aliasing, disabling shadows, disabling bloom, lowering graphics details (especially things like ground clutter, grass, tree details, etc) since they require a lot of CPU and GPU power. Also, lower the draw distance as much as possible to prevent the game from trying to kee too many objects in the scene at a time.

As an FYI, with ATI/AMD graphics cards (at least in their current numbering scheme), you can tell a graphics card's relative performance by looking at the hundred's digit in the model number. Anything 500 or lower is generally considered to be a media card. They will play games, but not well. The gaming cards are the 600-900 cards. Also, the mobile versions of the chipsets perform worse than their desktop equivalents. So a 4200M won't be able to perform as well as a standard 4200. But if you were able to upgrade to even a 4600 card, you would see a large increase in gaming performace. (Unfortunately, most laptop computers can't have their video cards upgraded, so you're stuck with what you buy.)

Also, the 4GB of memory your computer has is going to be pretty well used up, between the game, the operating system, and the shared memory for the video graphics card. So you don't want to run too many other things in the background. If you have a web browser open, make sure it's not trying to stream any media while you're playing games. Streaming media will compete with the game for CPU cycles, since CPUs have built in features for handling media streams. Also, if the browser/plugin is configured to enable "hardware accelleration" of the media stream (like youtube videos, etc) that setting can/will force your graphics card to run at a much lower clock speed than it should be running at, when playing games. On my desktop computer, enabling hardware accelleration forces the GPU to run at 400MHz clock speed, instead of it's usuall 900MHz. So it's easy to see how one non-game-related setting can cut gaming performance in half.

the computer I'm running this game on is a HP Pavilion Elite HPE 500y

8 Gig's ram

6 core prossesor

I have no lag or graphic issuse at all and the the monitor is a NEC Mulitisync 90GX2 Opicclear

the graphic card is a 6000 series ultimate vision ADM

running other programs in the back ground only slows your preformance and can affect your graphic, this is a desk top computer not a lap top.....I will warn people who think this game can be ran on a lap top. Lap tops can but they are not designed for it unless you pay 2,000 USD for a high End lap top you will only over heat or burn out your graphic.

my inter net is comcast and I'm running 35magsbites per sec. down load per sec, up load is 25 magabites per sec. * do not run wireless you loose performance and speed. olny go wired....

I am only very new to SWTOR having installed it last night. I run an Intel Core i5 CPU 3.20GHz

6GB

650 @ 3.20GHz

64 bit op sys

ATI Radeon HD5450

link to pc specs http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp?objectID=c02551662&lang=en&cc=us&taskId=115&contentType=SupportFAQ&prodSeriesId=4269976&prodTypeId=12454

I have found that the character movement is terrible on High or medium Graphics. I have been forced to set my graphics to low in order to get smooth character movement.

No outside programs are running either

Considering i purchased this computer probably about 1 year ago, maybe less, i am less than impressed that it is struggling to hold up to SWTOR. When purchased i did advise that i do gaming. Have they gone and sold me something insufficient for my use or is there no reason for my issues. Ill try updating drivers tonight although i did do it prior to christmas :confused:

Help is appreciated

I am only very new to SWTOR having installed it last night. I run an Intel Core i5 CPU 3.20GHz

6GB

650 @ 3.20GHz

64 bit op sys

ATI Radeon HD5450

link to pc specs http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp?objectID=c02551662&lang=en&cc=us&taskId=115&contentType=SupportFAQ&prodSeriesId=4269976&prodTypeId=12454

I have found that the character movement is terrible on High or medium Graphics. I have been forced to set my graphics to low in order to get smooth character movement.

Considering i purchased this computer probably about 1 year ago, maybe less, i am less than impressed that it is struggling to hold up to SWTOR. When purchased i did advise that i do gaming. Have they gone and sold me something insufficient for my use or is there no reason for my issues. Ill try updating drivers tonight although i did do it prior to christmas :confused:

Help is appreciated

Couple things i'll say:

You have a dual core CPU, which is sufficient only for required specs, not above that. A quad-core would probably help you out, though duo-core shouldn't be the end of the world.

If the link you posted is your exact computer, then your power supply is atrocious. It only has a 250W power supply, and you should probably have at least double that, though 650W is a safer bet. That might be your problem, as the system doesn't have enough power to be running everything effectively.

Your graphics card isn't amazing, but should be sufficient. Try turning off your shadows, see if that helps? If it does, then you can try turning some of the other settings back up a bit for better graphics in other areas. Shadows and bloom lighting can be killer on many systems. Hope that helps.

Couple things i'll say:

You have a dual core CPU, which is sufficient only for required specs, not above that. A quad-core would probably help you out, though duo-core shouldn't be the end of the world.

If the link you posted is your exact computer, then your power supply is atrocious. It only has a 250W power supply, and you should probably have at least double that, though 650W is a safer bet. That might be your problem, as the system doesn't have enough power to be running everything effectively.

Your graphics card isn't amazing, but should be sufficient. Try turning off your shadows, see if that helps? If it does, then you can try turning some of the other settings back up a bit for better graphics in other areas. Shadows and bloom lighting can be killer on many systems. Hope that helps.

That's just wrong all the way very bad advise.

The 250 PSU is fine for his system that draws about 150 Watts you can xfire 6950's on 650 watts lol. The GPU he has is not a gamming card and draws about 30 WATTS.

Edited by blowmedown

6GB

650 @ 3.20GHz

64 bit op sys

ATI Radeon HD5450

Help is appreciated

Yes they sold you junk for a gamming PC you will need to upgrade your power supply and graphics card if you can.

6GB

650 @ 3.20GHz

64 bit op sys

ATI Radeon HD5450

Help is appreciated

I'll list 2 upgrades you will need to take the side off your PC and actually measure if they will fit inside. You still will not get high settings but should make it alot more playable.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150540 is alot better than you have.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814161384 Few more $ if it will fit in your PC is better than the first. Use this power supply with either one you will need to reuse the powercord from your old PSU it should pull right out the back.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817371029 Again measure to make sure what ever you get will fit inside.

Edited by blowmedown

hello,

The story:

this guy couldnt of said it any better i am having the same probably im trying to get my specs for my computer to show you guys now hopefully i will find them and could anyone tell me what my porblem is???

I'll list 2 upgrades you will need to take the side off your PC and actually measure if they will fit inside. You still will not get high settings but should make it alot more playable.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150540 is alot better than you have.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814161384 Few more $ if it will fit in your PC is better than the first. Use this power supply with either one you will need to reuse the powercord from your old PSU it should pull right out the back.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817371029 Again measure to make sure what ever you get will fit inside.

TY so much for your assistance. yeah i started to figure as much so have been researching my upgrades :)

• 1 month later...

I got swtor and put it on a laptop and it runs fine outside on planets but runs slow in the buildings

please make a patch

i have

2.10ghz

hd graphics card

:(

:sy_empire: for the empire

Edited by awsomestarwars
wanna have game run good and fast

Hi everyone!

We've closed this thread because the information is an outdated request for assistance. We do have a variety of threads for folks who are seeking help with PC performance or builds. Please see the following threads:

Also, please be sure to see our FAQ regarding Technical Requirements: http://www.swtor.com/info/faq#171060

For anyone who requires assistance from Customer Service (issues downloading, installing, launching and playing the game or issues with your account), please be sure to post in their forum: http://www.swtor.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=11

Thanks!