Reduced Subscription Fees for Long-Term Players

karimthejedi

I suggest reduced monthly fees for very long-term players, and offering packages that extend well beyond six months at low rates to reward the loyal fanbase.

Thoughts?

They have stated officially in the past, that us long-term players are not a priority concern for them. We're not the target group, thus this would never happen. After all, they don't mind giving away previous exclusive subscriber rewards again almost for free. This is a good indication for you how important long-term players are for them. :(

We get the free cartel coins, that's our bonus.

After all, they don't mind giving away previous exclusive subscriber rewards again almost for free.

Could you please elaborate on this claim? I don't know of any previous subscriber reward that suddenly costs nothing when it returns. You had to be a sub to get Shae Vizla just like you have to be one this time around. Even the exclusive HK-55 bonus chapter that required a sub for several months has the same cost attached to it if you calculate the cartel coins you need to shell out for it now.

On the topic of the thread: I don't think having different sub costs is a good idea, nor does it seem to be feasable for the monetization model for the game. I think a more appropriate concept would be something like an ingame vendor that offers increased reputation tier rewards the longer you have a recurring sub. Pretty much like the Cartel vendors on the fleet just with subscription as reputation levels.

Edited by Phazonfreak

Sorry, but I think all this concept would do would be to create (or worsen) a divide amongst players based on time subscribed. Newly subscribed players would become hostile towards long-term subscribers for having to pay anywhere from a quarter again to possibly three times as much, depending on exactly what kind of 'discount' is being proposed, while more toxic long-term players (and we must admit they exist, however much we wish otherwise) would likely choose to taunt newcomers with their low subscription costs.

And on another aspect; how would a lapsed subscription be handled? If Player One is subscribed for two years, with appropriate discount, but their subscription lapses due to issues in real life, when they return to the game and resubscribe would their discount be counted from date of original subscription or from their point of resubscription - which means their costs would increase? If it would be the latter, then Player One could argue (and rightly so) that they're effectively being punished for military service, medical issues or what have you that caused their lapse in subscription. Not an accusation any company, gaming or otherwise, should want to face.

While it sounds at first to be a good idea, I feel there's too many potential flaws in the concept to make it an effective reward or retention system for long-term players.

Edited by turbomagnus

I created my first account with Everquest I back in 1999. It cost me $14.99 to play.

I still have that account. If I wanted to resub today, it would cost me $14.99 to play.

Why should EA piss away subscriber revenue when other companies don't?

Basically this ^, and as the other poster says, it might cause issues with the paying system

offering packages that extend well beyond six months at low rates to reward the loyal fanbase.

This on the other hand would be a good idea, have a 9 or 12 month sub, with the discounts accordingly in line with the ones they have at the moment. Personally I wouldn't use it, as I'm not sure month by month how long I'll keep this going, but there are people that would use it.

They could do milestone rewards: subbed for a year, you get this reward, at 2 years, get that reward, that type of thing.

Really nice outfit shells or cool mounts (especially that aren't just recolours of existing stuff!), how about a dye mixing station at 10 years subbed. Ohhhhh a lot of players would love that!

But yeah, anyways.... milestone rewards.

They could do milestone rewards: subbed for a year, you get this reward, at 2 years, get that reward, that type of thing.

Really nice outfit shells or cool mounts (especially that aren't just recolours of existing stuff!), how about a dye mixing station at 10 years subbed. Ohhhhh a lot of players would love that!

But yeah, anyways.... milestone rewards.

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=764045&highlight=veteran+reward

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=764045&highlight=veteran+reward

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=698945&highlight=veteran+reward

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=233454&highlight=veteran+reward

• 3 weeks later...
I could live with just more cartel coins every month. 500 is relatively low. Maybe create a system with daily login rewards for subs and based on sub length you get more and more rewards. Just suggestions there.

More cartel coins based on frequency of playtime would be nice.