Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Emperor's Wrath vs. Darth Nox (spoilers)

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Story and Lore
Emperor's Wrath vs. Darth Nox (spoilers)

JYthelifesaver
06.01.2020 , 06:19 PM | #391
Firstly, I am bias towards the Wrath, so my pick is obvious. But I would like to point out that almost every epic story of a hero is about being the underdog and coming out on top.

Example: Conan is a warrior and his big bad antagonist is a sorceror. Conan is just a man and the sorceror is more or less a god, or at least 'godly" -- and yet, Conan defeats him.

I would also like to point out that Star Wars' most iconic symbol is the lightsaber. And the sword is the most iconic symbol for heroism in general. Magic and sorcery are usually what the bad guy uses and in many cases is what gives them the advantage over a hero, and yet the hero still overcomes what looks like an impossible adversary.

MadDutchman
06.03.2020 , 03:29 PM | #392
Quote: Originally Posted by JYthelifesaver View Post
Firstly, I am bias towards the Wrath, so my pick is obvious. But I would like to point out that almost every epic story of a hero is about being the underdog and coming out on top.

Example: Conan is a warrior and his big bad antagonist is a sorceror. Conan is just a man and the sorceror is more or less a god, or at least 'godly" -- and yet, Conan defeats him.

I would also like to point out that Star Wars' most iconic symbol is the lightsaber. And the sword is the most iconic symbol for heroism in general. Magic and sorcery are usually what the bad guy uses and in many cases is what gives them the advantage over a hero, and yet the hero still overcomes what looks like an impossible adversary.
...not sure where you are going with that considering the SI also wields a lightsaber, and is far more an underdog than the Wrath (who was basically a spoiled brat who received preferential treatment his entire pre-Chapter 1 life)
I Have Spoken

Use my referral link for free goodies.

JYthelifesaver
06.03.2020 , 06:01 PM | #393
Quote: Originally Posted by MadDutchman View Post
...not sure where you are going with that considering the SI also wields a lightsaber, and is far more an underdog than the Wrath (who was basically a spoiled brat who received preferential treatment his entire pre-Chapter 1 life)
I was speaking less of their background story and addressing more so the fact that people were giving this to the sorceror because they have sorcery and the warrior has significantly less sorcery. In this fight, ignoring background story, the warrior is the underdog. But as we see in classic grapes of heroism, like Conan, the warrior overcomes the sorceror.

MadDutchman
06.04.2020 , 04:01 PM | #394
Quote: Originally Posted by JYthelifesaver View Post
I was speaking less of their background story and addressing more so the fact that people were giving this to the sorceror because they have sorcery and the warrior has significantly less sorcery. In this fight, ignoring background story, the warrior is the underdog. But as we see in classic grapes of heroism, like Conan, the warrior overcomes the sorceror.
but, what does Conan have to do with Star Wars? You are basically saying the SW could win because of plot armour, not because they actually are better.
I Have Spoken

Use my referral link for free goodies.

JYthelifesaver
06.05.2020 , 07:34 AM | #395
Quote: Originally Posted by MadDutchman View Post
but, what does Conan have to do with Star Wars? You are basically saying the SW could win because of plot armour, not because they actually are better.
Conan was supposed to be a look at classic storytelling. That's relevant because even Star Wars uses classic formulas for storytelling--But you're right, that would be plot armor.

Speaking of plot armor, the SI has his/hers as well. As others have pointed out in this thread, the SI was a slave with barely any formal training, happens to be descended from Kallig (who I believe was more of a warrior than a sorceror--even the SI's mighty ancestor preferred the lightsaber it seems) and has the power of several ghosts backing him/her. So it's hard to say whether the SI is actually better when they've got extra buffs like that.