Diagnostic scan: why?

doctor_atomic

Kolto injection heals 968-1177 with a 2 second activation and kolto infusion heals 496-659 with a 1.5 second activation with a trailing 843 HoT over 9 seconds. Diagnostic scan heals 210 over 3 seconds.

Why would I ever use diagnostic scan? Is there some secret application for this skill of which I am unaware?

Well for one its free so if you are a healer its energy free healing, granted it is still garbage but the main use of it is from the middle of the medicine tree [patient studies] where every crit of Diagnostic scan gives you 2 energy. It is nice for when you are low on energy, also in pvp it can be used to make those that are not paying attention to waste their interrupt. Edited by BardaTheHobo

As a healer, your diagnostic scan can heal for almost 1k over it's channel time. (at 55) Also as healer, Crits from Diagnostic Scan will regain 2 Energy and you also have a 30% chance to gain 1 TA from a tick of Diagnostic Scan, and it's 100% free! So when people are topped off, use this to keep them topped off.

In the current state of healer scoundrels/operatives, do you ever run out of energy and not have your adrenaline probe up ? (and how often was that not just a case of turning into one more dps because there was no need for heals)

I'm pretty sure you could take it off your bar and not be worse for it 99% of the time.

Why would I ever use flurry of bolts when overload shot does almost twice the damage?

In the current state of healer scoundrels/operatives, do you ever run out of energy and not have your adrenaline probe up ? (and how often was that not just a case of turning into one more dps because there was no need for heals)

I'm pretty sure you could take it off your bar and not be worse for it 99% of the time.

You'll never hit 5k hps just spamming kolto probes and surgical probe :p

Edited by CaptainApop

It depends of what u do. It's useful for end game content, u can t take it off ur bar in HM ops ...

Kolto injection heals 968-1177 with a 2 second activation and kolto infusion heals 496-659 with a 1.5 second activation with a trailing 843 HoT over 9 seconds. Diagnostic scan heals 210 over 3 seconds.

Why would I ever use diagnostic scan? Is there some secret application for this skill of which I am unaware?

It's posts like these that make me wonder if most people do not read the talents they are choosing.

Rifle shot is a more efficient filler. Technically you'll be contributing more, in terms of numbers, by attacking. But if your group doesn't need that minor extra damage, you're better off using DS and providing a bit of healing and some energy regen to yourself, even if it's hard to optimize.

Rifle shot is a more efficient filler. Technically you'll be contributing more, in terms of numbers, by attacking. But if your group doesn't need that minor extra damage, you're better off using DS and providing a bit of healing and some energy regen to yourself, even if it's hard to optimize.

The only time Rifle Shot would be more efficient is if there is literally no damage being taken by the raid. If you're doing hard mode operations or beyond, that is rarely going to happen. Also if your raid is benefiting from a piddly amount of damage from rifle shot (without accuracy you'll miss most of the time anyway), then they are doing something very wrong as well.

The only time Rifle Shot would be more efficient is if there is literally no damage being taken by the raid. If you're doing hard mode operations or beyond, that is rarely going to happen. Also if your raid is benefiting from a piddly amount of damage from rifle shot (without accuracy you'll miss most of the time anyway), then they are doing something very wrong as well.

Even then -6-0 energy is a smaller number on average to 0. Damage-dealing as filler can be effective but I wouldn't call it efficient.

Also shiv>surgical probe and backstab make better damage filler moves than rifle shot imo.

Edited by CaptainApop

Pretty decent skill if you decide to push a bit of dps while healing with an orbital now and again, once you get better gear my scan is critting for 822 if all 3 crit that's a nice return on energy and 2466 health returned to whoever i'm using it on. Basically it's there if you need it and should be hot barred but also if it comes to the point where you actually need it to carry on then you've already failed!

I use diagnostic scan all the time - esepcially after casting the larger heals which take more resources - kolto ingejction +diagnostic scan to regen then continue on. I also use my kolto injection + the free heal that uses tactical advantage - a lot. This can equate to a 10k heal + an instant 5k or so if everything crits.

You shouldn't need to use rifle shot healing. Your DPS are there for a reason - use orbital strike when you can, most often before a fight starts. I often toss CD but other then that, my jarb is to heal

I agree, that was kind of my point. :p I usually shiv for TA procs, throw a CD and OS granted that I have energy to spare, though obviously if we're talking about saving energy or regenerating energy DS is the best way to go. I think you're either going to have the energy to spare to use more effective attacks or else you're too busy healing to use them.

I haven't healed end game ops, but in an epic 1 million heal pvp game in the mid level, there would have been no way my energy would have kept up since it was intense healing from start to end. 2 to 6 extra energy in 2 sec or so when talented do help keep it above the penalty regen mark when you have some time to "catch your breath". Recuperative nanotech if cast another cost ability can get you pretty low, and the best way to counter it is through your DS imo.

Its the healer's filler, and it does a rather decent job at filling for the spec. But if you are going DPS spec, you can take it off your bar if it annoys you, it won't be a heal you use much.

• 2 weeks later...

a resource free heal that regenerates energy AND gives TA stacks while healing a modest amount?

in what galaxy is that A Bad Thing?

Diagnostic Scan is situational. there's times it's an awesome skill to be using and there's times when it isn't. but during a long fight if i'm low on energy and my adrenaline probe is still on CD, judicious use of Diagnostic Scan can be the difference between smooth sailing and a complete party wipe.

Edited by dancezwithnubz

DS has tons of awesome reasons to use it.

1. Endgame its crit chance is over 50%.

2. always channels at least in under 2 seconds easy to get under 1.9 seconds endgame.

3. Crit hits restore energy see above why that is awesome.

4. being channeled heals arent wasted.

5. its free.

It is by far the best filler ability of the healing classes out there as it restores energy (normally 4-8 energy each time you use it in addition to your reg regen) and it can be used on yourself unlike rapid shots for a merc.

BTW sorcs dont have any free non-self heals so stop ************.

Edited by DuEldrvarya

Diagnostic scan had a use pre 2.0 when the op had to watch his energy more. It was pretty much used to help fill up the energy bar quicker when it got close to 60. This was changed in 2.0 when energy management became easier and the effect of stim boost changed from helping with energy to just giving a TA and more alacrity.

Right now, diagnostic scan is pretty worthless except as a filler when your energy gets low (which if you play right, should not happen).

Diagnostic scan had a use pre 2.0 when the op had to watch his energy more. It was pretty much used to help fill up the energy bar quicker when it got close to 60. This was changed in 2.0 when energy management became easier and the effect of stim boost changed from helping with energy to just giving a TA and more alacrity.

Right now, diagnostic scan is pretty worthless except as a filler when your energy gets low (which if you play right, should not happen).

I have been playing the operative for a few months now and I have to say I still get into situations where if I dont do 2 kolto probes, a kolto infusion and spam kolto injection then someone could die, (yes seems a bit overboard). So that is when I use DS.