Suggestion: raid loot/gear

I think gear that drops in raids ( let's take dread guard for example) should be a bit more special. The issue here is pretty much the fact, that the armor pieces don't have an additional stat itself (besides the set bonus Ofc, but sadly there isn't a lot of options). It can stay remoddable, but to make that loot more wanted, it should have let's say +power integrated. I mean, there's a lot of ppl sitting on alot of cash, and even when you didn't manage to kill the bosses (or don't even have a raid group) you can easily get your gear full dread guard in no time. I haven't cleared ec nim yet, and still I'm full 63. The only thing which is kinda interesting is the tank mount. But still, I don't get a yay feeling when progressing, because I won't have use for the gear, so I won't even roll. I hope they'll make it more interesting in the future. Raiding should be more rewarding with rare drops.

I wonder if ppl share this opinion

Edited by Belarm

The entire loot system in this game is screwed up.

The biggest problem is they've used vertical gear progression (tiered) rather than horizontal gear progression (comparable incomparables). Generally, this means less customisation and more segregation within the community as well as making vast swathes of old content redundant due to it being in a previous gear tier.

Then, they made endgame gear craftable. Whilst this is a good thing in general, its only good if you still have somewhere to use that gear. In this game, pve gear is only useful for beating pve encounters, so all the crafting does in this game is make more content redundant as you remove the need to farm it.

They seriously need a reset button in the form of a level cap rise to sort out their loot philosophy. Move the system to horizontal progression: all gear is of the same tier but the stats are different. Have one raid drop a high endurance set, another a dps set, another a crit set etc etc. give each set different bonuses, put rare loot drops in all the flashpoints and raids. What this will do is ensure the community doesn't get segregated by gear (this is very important in an mmo with a small/shrinking community) but also opens up more possibilities for character customisation. It would be great if people really had to tailor their gear to specific raids, rather than everyone having cookie cutter builds with pre-defined BiS gear.

A good example for this is LOTRO. In the raid Barad Guldur (lvl65) it was advisable to stack lots of shadow, fire and tactical mitigation whereas in Ost Dunhoth (also lvl65) you had to switch between poison mit, shadow mit, fire mit, tactical and physical mitigation on a per-boss basis. some fights you wanted to focus on dps, others on survival. It added a whole extra metagame that TOR sorely misses, whilst still keeping most people even. The min-maxers were the ones who had multiple gear sets, each tailored to different situations, whilst the casuals could still compete and had same gear levels, they just had less options to maximise their effectiveness on certain bosses.

It doesn't have to be too complex Ofc. Can't work anyways, since we don't have the different kinds of elemental damage (fire water life...), but the items you drop from bosses aren't any special. And this needs to be changed to make ppl wanna kill em. So as mentioned items with +random mainstat would be nice. And endgame gear shouldn't be craftable.

The only problem with how the gear system works is it doesn't require you to raid. At all.

I've spent approx 30 million creds since release on making sure my gear is as close to the best as I can get, While it might not be perfect take my JK as an example.

To get her raid ready I bought

-5x migth 26 armourings 1 million each

-1x migth 26 hilt 2 million

-approx 700k on shifting mods and hancements over to her

- 2 million on 7x 63 enhancements(had matts in bank, bought some off the GTN)

-2.1 mill on 3x mods

-1.9 million on 27 might hilt.

so approx 9.7 million creds which is a fair amount, but not totally unachieveable for someone.The rest of my gear came from BH comm grinding.

I could label myself as "hardcore" but comparing the amount i play now vs the amount of time i spent in wow this games a joke, Its just way too easy to gear. They really need to remove the ability to craft top of the line gear,cut down the amount of available matts or both. I know this will cause people to be up in arms about how elitist I am but its really simple, you dont need 63's to farm dailies.

Failing that, I think being able to RE the previous tier would be a fair comprimise as it allows people to get geared up for the content, not gear up on par with the content.

The only problem with how the gear system works is it doesn't require you to raid. At all.

I've spent approx 30 million creds since release on making sure my gear is as close to the best as I can get, While it might not be perfect take my JK as an example.

To get her raid ready I bought

-5x migth 26 armourings 1 million each

-1x migth 26 hilt 2 million

-approx 700k on shifting mods and hancements over to her

- 2 million on 7x 63 enhancements(had matts in bank, bought some off the GTN)

-2.1 mill on 3x mods

-1.9 million on 27 might hilt.

so approx 9.7 million creds which is a fair amount, but not totally unachieveable for someone.The rest of my gear came from BH comm grinding.

I could label myself as "hardcore" but comparing the amount i play now vs the amount of time i spent in wow this games a joke, Its just way too easy to gear. They really need to remove the ability to craft top of the line gear,cut down the amount of available matts or both. I know this will cause people to be up in arms about how elitist I am but its really simple, you dont need 63's to farm dailies.

Failing that, I think being able to RE the previous tier would be a fair comprimise as it allows people to get geared up for the content, not gear up on par with the content.

As a raider even though I have benefited substantially from the current system which allowed me to get geared in a fast pace (Only need Earpiece, Offhand(which I'll soon get), 1 Armoring to full 63) I support your idea. Crafting 61 gear is imo reasonable but 63 (in other words the best gear obtainable) should be exclusive to raiding.

I'm actually okay with level 61 and 63 gear being crafted. The issue comes in where any person can buy a pattern off the GTN, slot it, unslot it, and learn it. It heavily dilutes the market and makes raiding obsolete.

But this topic has been beat to death already and Bioware has already commented on it so it isn't changing (for now).

Crafting 61 gear is imo reasonable but 63 (in other words the best gear obtainable) should be exclusive to raiding.

That as well ye. Since they make it easier to get the previous gear after each content update they should also handle it like that. Next update rating 154 as drop only, update after that make it craftable..

It doesn't have to be too complex Ofc. Can't work anyways, since we don't have the different kinds of elemental damage (fire water life...), but the items you drop from bosses aren't any special. And this needs to be changed to make ppl wanna kill em. So as mentioned items with +random mainstat would be nice. And endgame gear shouldn't be craftable.

We already have the complex stats, it just doesn't appear on gear.

So, we have 4 attack types: melee, ranged, force and tech.

Then we have 4 damage types: kinetic, energy, internal, elemental

It wouldn't take much to start adding these resistance types to set bonuses or gear pieces. For example, 3 set bonus on the gear set that *could* drop from EV would have +5% internal damage reduction, 5 set bonus could have an additional 10% internal damage reduction. You could still min-max the rest of the stats to your liking but if your tank was struggling on Soa, he could use the EV set and take 15% less damage.

It may well get a bit annoying having so many sets, but it adds more complexity (this game is crazy easy to understand), more incentive to farm all raids, more individuality, more customisation etc. It would become a min-maxers dream whilst not really affecting the average gamer. you'd just have to choose your gear setup before entering the raid, likely involving a trip to the vault.

However much I loved the resist fights in Burning crusade it relied heavily on having motivated people.

I remember spending my bench farm in netherstorm farming motes of shadow for SR gear and while it was a productive use of my time it wasn't exactly compelling gameplay.

If they just bake resistances into gear it also removes any difference from the actual content itself ie.

"well you've got 15% elemental reduction on your gear,to make it challenging we have to double it so the bosses attacks are meaningful"

The entire loot system in this game is screwed up.

Then, they made endgame gear craftable. Whilst this is a good thing in general, its only good if you still have somewhere to use that gear. In this game, pve gear is only useful for beating pve encounters, so all the crafting does in this game is make more content redundant as you remove the need to farm it.

For people like myself who don't have the time to do HM TFB and NM EC two nights a week for 2-3 months being able to fill in the gaps in our gear is a godsend. Farming HM EC is what nearly killed my guild - 5 months of same Op is bad.

Because HM Undying Kephess and HM Terror from Beyond drops alternating Dread Guard gear, you can end up having to do them well over 8 times. This way I can just craft the missing piece and then do the same thing for NM EC.

For people like myself who don't have the time to do HM TFB and NM EC two nights a week for 2-3 months being able to fill in the gaps in our gear is a godsend. Farming HM EC is what nearly killed my guild - 5 months of same Op is bad.

Because HM Undying Kephess and HM Terror from Beyond drops alternating Dread Guard gear, you can end up having to do them well over 8 times. This way I can just craft the missing piece and then do the same thing for NM EC.

So what you're saying is that there isn't enough varied content frequent enough to keep you intrested? SHort cutting gearing is what is making the raids stale fast. The top guild on our server has killed NiM kephess once.

Why? cause they don't actually need anything at all due to being able to craft the 63's required.

Asto shelf life for the ops, 4-5 bosses just doesn't cut it.

Ye, and this is the bad thing which kills the endgame kinda. It shouldn't be possible to craft the latest/highest mods of the current content. And if so, then thy should make raiding more rewarding (extra stats, superrare items..)

Completely disagree with the general sentiment in this thread. The ability to buy crafted gear is not only great, but absolutely necessary. Especially considering how bad the optimization is in the hazmat/dread guard gear. It would take a raid with 4 marauders almost an entire year to gear up properly without crafters.

Completely disagree with the general sentiment in this thread. The ability to buy crafted gear is not only great, but absolutely necessary. Especially considering how bad the optimization is in the hazmat/dread guard gear. It would take a raid with 4 marauders almost an entire year to gear up properly without crafters.

they can easily double the loot drops from bosses to alleviate that. Right now anyone rich but could have no skill or achievement whatsoever is entitled to BiS loot. The optimization of the gear should be worked on by the devs closely, for this to work ideally, of course.

they can easily double the loot drops from bosses to alleviate that. Right now anyone rich but could have no skill or achievement whatsoever is entitled to BiS loot. The optimization of the gear should be worked on by the devs closely, for this to work ideally, of course.

That's sort of like saying "if dps mercs were viable in rated pvp, there would be no need to buff them." While not necessarily false, it's certainly irrelevant because it's got nothing to do with the current state of the game.

And current state is this: default optimization's awful. Raids being too stingy with 63 gear makes the optimization problem worse. The only thing that fills in the blanks is the crafters.

If it hurts the ability for a small group of people who raid only so they can feel "special" to experience that feeling, well, too bad. Because the only current-state alternative (farming the same two ops for a year) is completely impractical and killing the crafting market screws up more people than ignoring the group of "I raid only because I think it makes me unique (which is a delusion, by the way)."

Edit: and just to be clear, I'm neither rich in creds nor a crafter, so I'm not thinking out of self-interest. I change appearances and tinker with mods so frequently that I don't have the funds to buy my way to 63. Need to gear the old-fashioned way.

Edited by Larry_Dallas

big problem i have with set gear is they do not change the bonus !!!!! or as gear gets better you still have the same bonus since tioniese or comi gear , makes it so easy to gear people with shells but no advantage in using dread bonus to tioniease .......