How do WZ queues work?

kcon

So I've been playing since launch so i have a general understanding of how the WZ queues work. It seems that each WZ room or server repeats the same WZ three times before it switches to the next one. Meaning that if only 16 people are queuing for WZ's on a given server which was the case for many months on my origin server, you would repeat the same WZ 3 times before it would switch to the next one. So i guess my question would be why the WZ repeats 3 times before it switches rather than switching between each WZ.

Civil war (x3) - Voidstar (x3) - quesh (x3) - novare (x3) - Pit huttball (x3) - Hypergate (x3) - Quesh (x3)

With the recent addition of the new Huttball map they doubled the amount of times you would get Quesh hutt ball in the queue rotation, and also explains with multiple WZ rooms running how certain people can end up getting the same WZ 9 times in a row. So i guess my question would be why WZ repeat 3 times before moving to the next wz.

Another thing i don't understand is why the queues all start at the same time and don't initiate immediately when players are available. For instance there are only a few groups that still run ranked WZ on Harbinger and we all know each other and tell each other when we queue up. So with multiple groups queued up at the same time it still takes 4-5 mins for the WZ arena queue to open a WZ when we know multiple groups are waiting to PvP, not sure why there is such a long delay.

The weird thing is that it used to feel like it truely was random. Then we had a patch and they probably screwed something up, resulting in ten AHG'es in a row/day.

to be fair, it could technically still be random, it would be very unlikely to get 10 Ancient Hypergates in a row, but not impossible either

Like i said i know from the way the WZ's would pop on my origin server that it is not random, once a WZ would load you would play the same WZ for three matches before it would switch to a different WZ. I came to this conclusion based on watching all WZ's in using /who because i would wait 25-30 min in between WZ queues cause BW failed to do server migrations for 5 months and a had a lot of time on my hands.

Like i said i know from the way the WZ's would pop on my origin server that it is not random, once a WZ would load you would play the same WZ for three matches before it would switch to a different WZ. I came to this conclusion based on watching all WZ's in using /who because i would wait 25-30 min in between WZ queues cause BW failed to do server migrations for 5 months and a had a lot of time on my hands.

If you flip a coin and it is heads, heads, heads, then tails, tails, tails, then you do it again and the pattern repeats does that mean that the coin is not random but instead follows a predictable pattern? Just because you saw something that looked like a pattern does not mean that it was not random.

If you flip a coin and it is heads, heads, heads, then tails, tails, tails, then you do it again and the pattern repeats does that mean that the coin is not random but instead follows a predictable pattern? Just because you saw something that looked like a pattern does not mean that it was not random.

you obviously do not know how to recognize a pattern lets use a dice that has 6 sides because there are now 6 WZ's.

you roll the dice 3 times, 1/6 * 1/6 *1/6 = 1/216, you have less than 0.46% chance of that happening lets continue with the 2nd WZ: 1/6*1/6*1/6*1/6*1/6*1/6 = 1/46,656 .00214%.

it always amazes me how people just argue just to argue and have no idea what they are talking about.

you obviously do not know how to recognize a pattern lets use a dice that has 6 sides because there are now 6 WZ's.

you roll the dice 3 times, 1/6 * 1/6 *1/6 = 1/216, you have less than 0.46% chance of that happening lets continue with the 2nd WZ: 1/6*1/6*1/6*1/6*1/6*1/6 = 1/46,656 .00214%.

it always amazes me how people just argue just to argue and have no idea what they are talking about.

Odds are even worse for winning the lottery but it happens to some people. I have played the overnight hours and spent half an hour to an hour and sometimes longer waiting for a game to pop so it is unlikely that other games are taking place. I am not having the same warzone pop over and over. Again, just because you see a pattern, does not mean it is not random.

Also your math is a bit off. May want to learn how probability works before claiming others have no idea what they are talking about. The odds of the next 3 warzones being the same one are 1/36 not 1/216. You were only 600% off but good try.

Edited by HelinCarnate

Odds are even worse for winning the lottery but it happens to some people. I have played the overnight hours and spent half an hour to an hour and sometimes longer waiting for a game to pop so it is unlikely that other games are taking place. I am not having the same warzone pop over and over. Again, just because you see a pattern, does not mean it is not random.

Also your math is a bit off. May want to learn how probability works before claiming others have no idea what they are talking about. The odds of the next 3 warzones being the same one are 1/36 not 1/216. You were only 600% off but good try.

LMAO your math teacher is crying right now. please show your work so we can all laugh at you

The rotation is random. Although it's not uncommon to get the same map 2-3 times in a row.

The rotation is INTENDED to be random from the SERVER'S perspective.

FTFY

It's hardly ever random from the player's perspective. You'd have to play 100's of matches and make a log to have a sample size big enough to get an even distribution. From the server's perspective, it sees that many every day so it is"random" and "even" to it.

It's something Bioware needs to fix, but may not be capable of. The system has design limitations and Bioware doesn't restrict you as a player entering ANY ACTIVE warzone...so you may end up getting the same ones over and over, if that's all that's available at that time. Add to that fact that different warzones last for different lengths of time...and it's nigh impossible from the server side to make things appear random for the player.

The appearance of randomness from a given perspective is a very carefully orchestrated and selected order of things...but since that's what the playerbase wants in order to have a fun time, it would be nice if Bioware would make it happen. It's as simple as adding a lockout client side (like the flashpoint group finder, but automated) to restrict entering any map back-to-back but either Bioware doesn't trust that players wouldn't find a way to abuse it, or they don't know how, or they don't have time.

LMAO your math teacher is crying right now. please show your work so we can all laugh at you

6/6 chance of something popping for the first warzone.

1/6 chance of the 2nd one matching

1/6 chance of the 3rd one matching.

Total odds for the 2nd and 3rd matching the 1st is 1/36.

Now the odds of the next 3 warzones all being say, Civil War, your numbers are correct for that.

Edited by HelinCarnate

6/6 chance of something popping for the first warzone.

1/6 chance of the 2nd one matching

1/6 chance of the 3rd one matching.

Total odds for the 2nd and 3rd matching the 1st is 1/36.

Now the odds of the next 3 warzones all being say, Civil War, your numbers are correct for that.

Ok, i can admit when I'm wrong and i apologize for ineptitude.

For those who care i actually found a good link where BW explained the WZ queues.

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?p=6200556

The previous poster is correct. For a 4% chance to repeat the same warzone 3 times in a row, I sure as heck have spent the past week or so getting multiple such streaks. For the first few days after 2.0 went live, I don't think I actually had any streak less than 3 warzones in a row. I'm sure there were exceptions here and there, but my point is that it sure as heck felt like it was very, very consistently 3 Voidstars in a row, 3 Huttballs in a row, 3 Civil Wars in a row, etc. This was also the experience for just about everyone I have spoken to - upwards of 20 - 25 people.

It may well be that over the course of the total sample the streakiness may not demonstrate itself to be outside of expected probability, but that it is a problem in more particular instances. For example, perhaps on a given day or a particular server there was greater streakiness than in the whole. It may even be that this is a bug which affects only certain players and so disappears in the mix of the data as a whole.

In any case, there are far too many people complaining about this issue to simply regard everything as working correctly. Something definitely seems to be going on somewhere.

Yet I read posts like this and make me think that BW is making stuff up too.

I, like this poster, though that was just how the WZ system worked.

Edited by kcon