Game could use a new class or two

Silynse

So we have had these same classes for so many years now. It would be so nice to see some expansions to the class system by now, or more branching in the class trees currently with storyline.

I have always loved this game. Its got a special place in gaming for me. But it definitely could use a little juice in the class and animation and graphics departments.

I don't think this game is near done, and with the right kind of revitalization it could go very far and bring back troves of players.

Classes first.

At the very least they should add another spec line to the classes. Let Bounty Hunters wield rifles, let commandos use pistols, let smugglers use carbines, more force abilities for the force users etc etc etc Edited by oslek

At the very least they should add another spec line to the classes. Let Bounty Hunters wield rifles, let commandos use pistols, let smugglers use carbines, more force abilities for the force users etc etc etc

"should" is debatable. "could" is a reasonable thing to say. Adding a third *Advanced Class* (trying hard here to distinguish "spec line" meaning "Discipline" and "spec line" meaning "Advanced Class" which is in fact three "spec lines" = Disciplines) is a *relatively* less difficult undertaking than adding a totally new base class.

The problem with saying "should" here is that you haven't even tried to justify it. *Why* should they add them. The cited changes are descriptions of "how" or "what" to change, but don't say *why* it would help anything. One very important thing it would *hinder* is PvP (and PvE) inter-class balance, because there would be more classes to balance.

Whenever a thread like this pops up I always wonder what sort of actual gameplay niche is trying to be filled, what niche is missing. Or how you'd differentiate new classes to make them worth adding? Just giving a new weapon to a new class is not actual differentiation nor a good reason to add a whole host of problems by adding a new class.

Inasmuch as what we've got:

Heals over Time is filled by Operative, as is melee. Sorcs are the pure casters, Mercs are the reactive healers.

Juggernauts are the rigid, cooldown based tanks, Powertechs are the passively tanky tanks, Assassins are the mobile, flexible tanks.

Annihilation is the self-heal melee spec. Combat is burst damage, Fury is the inflexible rotation. Vengeance is the short duration bleeds. Lethality is the 10m delayed burst skirmisher, Concealment is the classic positional rogue, Virulence is caster Lethality, Marksman is caster crit burst, Engineering is caster cleave. Lightning is alacrity burst, Madness is caster self-heals and dot, Hatred is melee self-heals and dots, Deception is classic positional rogue. Pyrotech is skirmisher dots, AP is skirmisher burst, IO is rigid dot damage, arsenal is flexible burst damage.

Basically every type of class 'quirk' is represented above by the different specs. You've got self-healing melee & ranged, dot, delayed burst, alacrity burst, critical burst, 4m, 10m, & 35m.

The only things that are left out that have already been tried were rejected for balance reasons: evasion tanks & ranged tanks. Neither of which could work.

So what niche exactly do you want a new class to fill? Where is there room? How would this benefit our gameplay?

Whenever a thread like this pops up I always wonder what sort of actual gameplay niche is trying to be filled, what niche is missing. Or how you'd differentiate new classes to make them worth adding? Just giving a new weapon to a new class is not actual differentiation nor a good reason to add a whole host of problems by adding a new class.

Inasmuch as what we've got:

Heals over Time is filled by Operative, as is melee. Sorcs are the pure casters, Mercs are the reactive healers.

Juggernauts are the rigid, cooldown based tanks, Powertechs are the passively tanky tanks, Assassins are the mobile, flexible tanks.

Annihilation is the self-heal melee spec. Combat is burst damage, Fury is the inflexible rotation. Vengeance is the short duration bleeds. Lethality is the 10m delayed burst skirmisher, Concealment is the classic positional rogue, Virulence is caster Lethality, Marksman is caster crit burst, Engineering is caster cleave. Lightning is alacrity burst, Madness is caster self-heals and dot, Hatred is melee self-heals and dots, Deception is classic positional rogue. Pyrotech is skirmisher dots, AP is skirmisher burst, IO is rigid dot damage, arsenal is flexible burst damage.

Basically every type of class 'quirk' is represented above by the different specs. You've got self-healing melee & ranged, dot, delayed burst, alacrity burst, critical burst, 4m, 10m, & 35m.

The only things that are left out that have already been tried were rejected for balance reasons: evasion tanks & ranged tanks. Neither of which could work.

So what niche exactly do you want a new class to fill? Where is there room? How would this benefit our gameplay?

Light and Dark Teräs Kasi Master (baseclass)

(Melee with self-heals)

Subclasses:

Roshi - Heal focus (Can heal and improve others)

Grandmaster - Dps (more damage less healing)

Benefit/niche:

Healing the Group/Operation/others while doing Melee.

Edited by KWONRYU

Please explain why you think that "melee healer" provides any *benefit*.

To regain health, to become more vigorous when weak (or even injured) without.

To prevent fainting and even death.

Also improving strength and prowess.

Lots of benefits.

• 3 weeks later...

It seems to me that you really want a melee healer.

I do this with my seer, it does actually work if you're quick enough and have decent reaction times... but the way I play was really attacked with 5.0... I'm still angry about it and still dream of double strike - not even kidding hey :(

I would rather they add a pool of spells ( damage mostly without any extra affects ) that different classes can use. They would be mostly for cosmetic and roll playing reasons.

For the Empire classes:

E.g. A bounty hunter selects force choke ( only minor dps no stun )

A sniper selects force lightning

A marauder selects thermal detonator

This will help with role play only. I would like to imagine I am a bounty hunter that is slightly trained in the dark side of force. Or a marauder that knows how to use tech if needed.

• 2 weeks later...
A new class doesn't have to necessarily fit a niche. You can have multiple DPS/Tank/Heals classes that are either ranged or melee. Just to use an example, WoW has rogues and druids. Essentially the same class but totally different "flavor" and mechanics. Personally, I'd be happy with engine upgrades. Maybe fix the textures. The difference between the animations for the new content vs the original content is like night and day lol

I've been saying for a while now they should take some classes with 3 DPS specs and provide either a healing or tanking spec. I think Concealment Operative could make a cool tank, and I'm sure there's a million creative ideas for each class/spec. They just don't do well at balancing and would take another 6 expansions to balance.

People have been wanting this for ages and saddly the devs already said that 99% chance they will NEVER add another class simply because the lost contact with alot of the actors and they don't want to replace them and mess up the imersion.

Now new subclasses i could kinda see working but it would really have to be a big change but i could see it being a whole xpansions big thing kinda like how in KOTOR and KOTOR2 after a point you got to pick a subclass to go along with the class you picked at the start, Like say for instance a jug could pick to be a red guard giving them access to even more armor and the defencive skills for protecting their allys or they could go a warmonger which focusses more on combat and less on defences so they get more attacking skills then defences.

stuff like that i could see happening at some point but the thing is that doing that is risky because at this point we have invested alot in our toons and we don't want to pick the wrong one and mess it up so unless they added a item to the cartel store to let us switch to the other one which would defeat the whole point of making us have to choise which one we wanted to go.

They could just make a whole new advance class for each base class but like it has been said before what roles would they fill and what would be the apeal? i can think of a few things but it's mainly just things like having a sith warrior get access to some actual sith moves like force lightning and incorpiating into their lightsaber attacks which would be bad *** but would annoy the sorcs because that was their thing and in turn the new inquisitor would have to get access to more melee attacks while also mantaining the dominice of the sith technics.

For the Agent and BH well i could see the agent getting a spec based purely around droids and probes which would be interesting since it would be the first pet class in the game and for the BH i could see them getting the Assault cannon and just going pure demoman with explosives and flamethrowers.

Like i said this is what i could see working keyword here "could" will they do it more then likely not but it would be interesting and would get me to try them out, right now honestly i have 1 of each class and i only really play at most 4 of them since i find the rest to be a bit boring so having more classes would be nice but we are never going to get a new base class because like i said they lost contact with alot of the voice acctors they used in the base game so unless the new class was made and at the lvl of the new content when we made them it will never happen saddly.