Sage, the paper dog king of all mmo's!

LuciferinDNA

Jedi Sage

expertise: 1280

willpower : 1880

telekinetic tree

So I have to start all my rotation with weaken mind + turbulence... weaken mind insta turbulence takes 2 sec. Till that time(2 sec) a jug can kill me (force armor on)

Happy shmashmass!

Edited by LuciferinDNA

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well that's obviously not true if it's just one. Now the likelihood of 3 or 4 of the 6 on the other side seeing you and jumping in at once and insta killing you is not far fetched. But obviously one is not going to kill you in two GCDs if you're geared enough to have that much expertise.

But, your exaggeration not withstanding the smash is out of control.

Edited by Keypek

Well that's obviously not true if it's just one. Now the likelihood of 3 or 4 of the 6 on the other side seeing you and jumping in at once and insta killing you is not far fetched. But obviously one is not going to kill you in two GCDs if you're geared enough to have that much expertise.

But, your exaggeration not withstanding the smash is out of control.

Yea, it seems an exaggeration, no doubt , ) and it was not 2 sec..

It looked like:

-jugg jump on me (bubble goes down immediately it stuns him, he break the cc)

-I push the hotkey "weaken mind" till that my hp goes to 70%. I start to push hotkey "turbulance"

-jugg hit and pushback my turbulance (my hp is on 45%)

-jugg hit and pushback my turbulance (my hp is on 10%)

-jugg hit and pushback my turbulance (my hp is on 0%)

-Jugg is on 95% hp

Any way, it was an ista + a 2 sec spell with 3 pushback, I don't remember how much time I spend in this fare fight : D lol

(of course I had 3 points on concentration for reduce the bushback suffered till I cast turbulance)

I have a max lvl Scoundrel, Shadow, Commando, lvl 41 vanguard + a few mid lvl and two max Sage. I play from launch and I still can't figured out how BW wanted to build up sage skill tree... Its a mass! (I still like Sage, but just from the reason of my RP)

It can be a healing statue - boring like hell!

It can be a glass cannon DPS, oh wait, its the worst dps in the game! Never mind, its glass any way..

A jedi who can't use his light saber - lol, just lol : p

Ah but he has the most annoying stun mechanism, what don't serves him as well to make him survive, but makes the already op classes immortal :rak_02:

EA:

**snuffing, computerized voice**

-We hate that "Joda" style AC......I hope we understand each other....

**snuffing**

BW:

Sir yes Sir!

Are you sure you're playing the class correctly?!?!

I've been level 50 on my sage now for a few weeks (rolled it as a new toon because I got bored of sentinel) and I initially thought I was going to be a healer but for some reason, DPS just seems more fun to play.

I'm rocking a custom 2/21/18 tree, have approx 1700 Willpower and Endurance (unbuffed), I'm wearing full NON-BiS WH with half Fortitude Augments and half Resolve Augments, I've got around 29.3% Crit Chance and a 79% crit multiplier (unbuffed) and I've managed to get my Power stat to a reasonable 890.

On the server I play on there are quite a few awesome marauders, juggs etc and I can manage to survive and burn them down with no trouble at all, even if I'm being piled by quite a few of them.

I average 300k+ dps per WZ (which is alright considering I don't have a pocket guard/healer) and can still manage to play WZ's objectively and earn a fair amount of medals.

This was a few days ago in my full WH: http://imgur.com/P5hm0

This was when I had full BM: http://imgur.com/Ibbx0

All I say is, you just have to manage your rotation well and know how to play your class during different situations. I'm not saying that I really know how to play this class 100% but hey, I'm getting a fair idea of what to do.

The DPS and survivability on a sage is awesome if you kinda know what you're doing.

Are you sure you're playing the class correctly?!?!

I've been level 50 on my sage now for a few weeks (rolled it as a new toon because I got bored of sentinel) and I initially thought I was going to be a healer but for some reason, DPS just seems more fun to play.

I'm rocking a custom 2/21/18 tree, have approx 1700 Willpower and Endurance (unbuffed), I'm wearing full NON-BiS WH with half Fortitude Augments and half Resolve Augments, I've got around 29.3% Crit Chance and a 79% crit multiplier (unbuffed) and I've managed to get my Power stat to a reasonable 890.

On the server I play on there are quite a few awesome marauders, juggs etc and I can manage to survive and burn them down with no trouble at all, even if I'm being piled by quite a few of them.

I average 300k+ dps per WZ (which is alright considering I don't have a pocket guard/healer) and can still manage to play WZ's objectively and earn a fair amount of medals.

This was a few days ago in my full WH: http://imgur.com/P5hm0

This was when I had full BM: http://imgur.com/Ibbx0

All I say is, you just have to manage your rotation well and know how to play your class during different situations. I'm not saying that I really know how to play this class 100% but hey, I'm getting a fair idea of what to do.

The DPS and survivability on a sage is awesome if you kinda know what you're doing.

Greet you fellow Sage : )

It seems that the force is with us... you just proved what I was talking about , )

Did you realized that in the screen-shoots what you posted, the knight players has 723K DMG in the first and 966K in the second screen and I'm sure, that this 400K is your best result, by the way, gratz for it! : ) its very good game from a Sage! And I'm sure, that we all would be wrong to call the knight like a "glass cannon" : )

Its better call him a tank with the best dps in the game.

I still on the opinion, that Sage needs upgrade! And its 100% sure, that non of us will wait till the expansion with the new lvl cap with confidence....

Sage needs buff in dps, commando needs buff in heal tree. Its clear like sky.

Sage needs buff in dps, commando needs buff in heal tree. Its clear like sky.

That, I can agree with!

I mean, if I had some sort of buff in dps, I could easily manage 700k DMG like in that screen shot. If people actually read what the skills do in our skill tree, they'd see that we do have potential to do awesome dps, and as you said, my screenshots prove that it can be done but it could be even better with a dps buff!

Sage needs some buffs but if you are bringing a Tele into a warzone you have to blame yourself. There's no point in making a principle out of playing it since it has was established a long time ago that it's just as useless as the commando dps trees (the person who specified that commando only needs a heal tree buff is way off). I play sage and sorc and whenever I see a sage cast turbulence it instantly becomes a free kill that I have to track down. Edited by Washingtoon

That, I can agree with!

I mean, if I had some sort of buff in dps, I could easily manage 700k DMG like in that screen shot. If people actually read what the skills do in our skill tree, they'd see that we do have potential to do awesome dps, and as you said, my screenshots prove that it can be done but it could be even better with a dps buff!

The thing, is : its very hard to kill Sage till low lvl wz, from the reason, that there is no expertise and his bubble counts a lot. After 50 all classes has, and build up there ulty, what brings down the sage,s bubble with one cast, till expertise gives bunus to healing, but not healing bonus and sage's bubble connected to willpower, power, forcepower - healing bonus! So he is the most glass class after 50, but one of the worst dps...

A

Sorry, if they are awesome then there's absolutely zero chance of you burning them down if you have more than one on you. It sounds like they are just bads.

I don't know what it's like on your server but if two smashers get on your case, you're going to die. The WH geared guardians are consistently hitting me for 6 - 7k (yes 6.9k yesterday, and I have full WH and 1300 expertise). Two smashes from them and you're in execute range, which means a 5k dispatch is heading your way. No way you survive all that.

I play full tk for pvp, u should be able to get off 1 turbance against a rage jug but u still will not win the fight. U have 2 options u run and give him a force slow or u reapply a stun after they cc break but once their resolve is full u will not get off another big cast.

I think sorc needs a finisher I can get a jug or maurder down to 30% if I play smart but they still have not used their undying rage or endure pain. Dps boost is a must for telek if 1.7 doesn't bring it I am done with the class

I find PVP tedious, so I've not really engaged in it much, but I do have a few questions based on my little bit of experience with playing a Sage recently.

The tanks are almost nothing but melee ranged attacks... why didn't you use the knockback at all? Why did you keep using nothing but that one ability with a pushback rather than switching it up with something less disruptable? It seems like the key would be to keep out of his reach as much as possible by pushing him back, slowing him down, and moving away.

I find PVP tedious, so I've not really engaged in it much, but I do have a few questions based on my little bit of experience with playing a Sage recently.

The tanks are almost nothing but melee ranged attacks... why didn't you use the knockback at all? Why did you keep using nothing but that one ability with a pushback rather than switching it up with something less disruptable? It seems like the key would be to keep out of his reach as much as possible by pushing him back, slowing him down, and moving away.

In martial arts there is a phrase, " every fight ends up in ground fighting" If you fight with a melee class in SWTOR its 100% that it will end up in melee, no matter how much you try to make distance. They jump on you, slow you, freez you, - you make distance, they jump again.... and if you will be able to make that distance some how, they just trow there saber after you. The only thing what you can do vs melee AC's that you roll hybrid and you rather heal out there attacks, then dps back, in this case sometimes, they fell out fom there rhythm and you can start to push-back,slow, sprint, dps- stun-dps interupt - sprint-dps.... But! if they use a macro for there rotation, they never will get tired, never fell out of rhythm and in numbers they will hunt you down 100%

Except that by pushing them back, you limit what abilities they can use, and force them to keep running up, which takes up time, especially if your telekinetic attacks also slow them down. By keeping them away, you make them use attacks costing more in energy and keep their heavier hitting skills off the table until they catch up. Pushing them away isn't to knock them out of the fight, but rather to control what they bring to it, and keeping them longer at ranges where the sage has a greater advantage.

Except that by pushing them back, you limit what abilities they can use, and force them to keep running up, which takes up time, especially if your telekinetic attacks also slow them down. By keeping them away, you make them use attacks costing more in energy and keep their heavier hitting skills off the table until they catch up. Pushing them away isn't to knock them out of the fight, but rather to control what they bring to it, and keeping them longer at ranges where the sage has a greater advantage.
You push them back what, 5 m? 1 meter outside their melee range but still within range for some of their other abilties. The KB should be like the jugg's and send them flying across the map and land on their backs, which would give you enough time to lose LOS. If you run without losing LOS you're just giving them a free leap plus a few shockwave points.

In martial arts there is a phrase, " every fight ends up in ground fighting" If you fight with a melee class in SWTOR its 100% that it will end up in melee, no matter how much you try to make distance. They jump on you, slow you, freez you, - you make distance, they jump again.... and if you will be able to make that distance some how, they just trow there saber after you. The only thing what you can do vs melee AC's that you roll hybrid and you rather heal out there attacks, then dps back, in this case sometimes, they fell out fom there rhythm and you can start to push-back,slow, sprint, dps- stun-dps interupt - sprint-dps.... But! if they use a macro for there rotation, they never will get tired, never fell out of rhythm and in numbers they will hunt you down 100%

Really? And what 'martial art' is that? I've trained in several martial arts for over 10 years and I'm sorry to say we don't subscribe to that philosophy. You prepare for ground fighting, but you don't accept it as 'inevitable'.

Back to topic, I agree that it sometimes feels like you're forever trying to escape their 'home ground'. But more often than not I find I can do it, and it's some of the most entertaining pvp I've had. I play melee dps, too, and once you realise you're up against a Sage/Sorc who can kite and knows their class, you're busting your nut every bit as hard trying to close that distance.

Really? And what 'martial art' is that? I've trained in several martial arts for over 10 years and I'm sorry to say we don't subscribe to that philosophy. You prepare for ground fighting, but you don't accept it as 'inevitable'.

Back to topic, I agree that it sometimes feels like you're forever trying to escape their 'home ground'. But more often than not I find I can do it, and it's some of the most entertaining pvp I've had. I play melee dps, too, and once you realise you're up against a Sage/Sorc who can kite and knows their class, you're busting your nut every bit as hard trying to close that distance.

You know this is the post that we can say about, that if you would not post it, you still would be able to act like a wise , )

But this train is gone...

Yes....what?

First you questioning credibility about an RL issue, you showing that you pro in this issue from the reason, that you spend 10 years to study it. If you want, send me PM's and we can discuss it, but I don't think that you are interested on real opinions connected to this phrase, you just wanted to troll the forum users ( questioning my credibility, and using it like a lobby vs Sage/Sorce, so the thread) + to ventilate your ego. Yes you trolled them, coz if you spend 10 years by different martial arts you should know this phrase well , )

Second, you came up with some rubbish explanation, that wants to explain us, that the AC is well balanced and gives hard time for poor knights/warriors in the right hand - what is nonsense and maybe true vs a bad low geared warrior/knight.

So you tried to lobby a bit vs the thread and keep your well deserved smash safe from nerf, but you should try it harder , )

I hope you understand that the forum and the class lobby is part of the game and we have to support our class on the forum in every MMO if we realize, that it lacking here and there... And Sage/Sorc needs a huge rebuild to make it balance and viable vs other classes, ACs!

Peace!

Yes...that!

coz if you spend 10 years by different martial arts you should know this phrase well

While I haven't been training for quite that long, more like a little over three years myself, I've never heard that expression used as a rule of fighting. Typically, yes, fights go to the ground, but that has a lot to do with the fact that most people (especially the ones without training) inevitably end up grappling eachother, even if they start out swinging wild punches.

Try and tackle someone who has been trained to counter it (not hard, given that it's the inevitable feint/followed by grapple) and is willing to use more....brutal means to prevent it, and the only person who'll end up going to the ground is you.

Second, you came up with some rubbish explanation, that wants to explain us, that the AC is well balanced and gives hard time for poor knights/warriors in the right hand - what is nonsense and maybe true vs a bad low geared warrior/knight.

To me this seems a clear indication that you have no idea on how to kite in pvp. Sure, being jumped by a well played Sent/Marra or Guard/Jug will leave you on the back foot, but knowing how to cycle your skills, and being familiar with even the basics of kiting can give you the ability to turn the tables on them. Hybrid spec in particular thanks to the exploding shield and root effect on force wake gives you a lot to play with in terms of gaining distance/cast time.

Granted, there are some things that need to be dealt with in terms of balance (like the current slightly over the top derp sweep damage) but that dosen't change the fact that it is possible still to counter them.

Sad to say before I took my long break from the game sage's were decent. I could 1v1 champion/bm geared knights and have a few wins. Now I come back and I dont enjoy it anymore. I quit on sage until I see something major done to them. For now powertech it is.:rak_03:

First you questioning credibility about an RL issue, you showing that you pro in this issue from the reason, that you spend 10 years to study it. If you want, send me PM's and we can discuss it, but I don't think that you are interested on real opinions connected to this phrase, you just wanted to troll the forum users ( questioning my credibility, and using it like a lobby vs Sage/Sorce, so the thread) + to ventilate your ego. Yes you trolled them, coz if you spend 10 years by different martial arts you should know this phrase well , )

No. You made an erroneous generalisation, and I called you for it. If you don't like the things you say being held up to the limelight, then don't post on forums - it couldn't be any simpler. I don't need to 'ventilate my ego', especially on a SW forum as an anonymous poster. No one knows who I am, and no one cares; so it serves no purpose chasing kudos on here. I have no interest in sending you PM's - it sounds like you're the one with the ego problem if you care what other people on here think.

A rubbish explanation? At least I can express my thoughts in a clear and lucid manner. You should find a new online translator, because 80% of what you write is sheer gibberish. The Sage/Sorcerer AC still needs tweaks, and I never said otherwise. What I was trying to illustrate was that some of the claims I've read are simply over-the-top. I have two Sages and a Sorc on separate severs, and I simply don't agree that the Sage is in as bad a place as you're making it out to be. If you want to take on smashderps, then don't stand there in a Tele build giving them an easy target.

So you tried to lobby a bit vs the thread and keep your well deserved smash safe from nerf, but you should try it harder , )

I didn't try anything of the sort. No, you're simply raging against anyone you perceive to have an even remotely different viewpoint...as though we're secret smashderp agents on a quest to derail your thread. My first toon from launch was a Sage, and to this day it continues to be my favourite class.

I hope you understand that the forum and the class lobby is part of the game and we have to support our class on the forum in every MMO if we realize, that it lacking here and there... And Sage/Sorc needs a huge rebuild to make it balance and viable vs other classes, ACs!

Peace!

And I hope you realise that when you start a thread, it's not going to be a conga-line of 'yes men' who reply. You accept that other people will reply with differing opinions. I don't agree that the Sage/Sorc need a 'huge' rebuild...some minor tweaks here and there (Balance and Tele trees) would be all that's needed.

Edited by nokizaru

While I haven't been training for quite that long, more like a little over three years myself, I've never heard that expression used as a rule of fighting. Typically, yes, fights go to the ground, but that has a lot to do with the fact that most people (especially the ones without training) inevitably end up grappling eachother, even if they start out swinging wild punches.

Try and tackle someone who has been trained to counter it (not hard, given that it's the inevitable feint/followed by grapple) and is willing to use more....brutal means to prevent it, and the only person who'll end up going to the ground is you.

To me this seems a clear indication that you have no idea on how to kite in pvp. Sure, being jumped by a well played Sent/Marra or Guard/Jug will leave you on the back foot, but knowing how to cycle your skills, and being familiar with even the basics of kiting can give you the ability to turn the tables on them. Hybrid spec in particular thanks to the exploding shield and root effect on force wake gives you a lot to play with in terms of gaining distance/cast time.

Granted, there are some things that need to be dealt with in terms of balance (like the current slightly over the top derp sweep damage) but that dosen't change the fact that it is possible still to counter them.

WoW! Another Bruce Lee : p

As I mentioned it in a bunch of threads, low lvl Sage/Sorc can handle pvp, till expertise is not on the table (his only defensive tool is the bubble, what support by willpower, force power and power, so bonus healing, but not healing bonus what comes from expertise. The thread is about "Sage, the paper dog king of all mmo's!" that Sage/Sorc has no viable defense after expertise arrives, by the way, he is lacking in DPS as well : p

So low lvl Sage/Sorc's defense is viable imo (still lacking in dps) but after 50, to keep him alive is a nightmare...

"To me this seems a clear indication that you have no idea on how to kite in pvp"

so here is one of my Sage (this char is viable here coz of low lvl) and how he kite at 5:13 -7:00

If you didn't even use knockback, it sounds like a learn to play issue. If you are gimping yourself by not using your class' full potential, you have nothing to complain about. You have roots, slows, stuns too, use them.

Do sages need a tweak? Maybe. Does smash need a tweak? Maybe. But you will get the best results from tweaking your own playstyle.

Edited by Icebergy

Sage is my main both PvE and PvP and I LOVE it (Ok I like my Scrapper more but since she isn't 50 yet it doesn't compare). I will not claim that Sage's couldn't use a DPS buff (or rather certain classes could use a debuff) or TTK.

In PvP I have run these:

a) Full Seer and after 1.4 Full Seer with Egress.

- Pre 1.2 this spec was beast, 1.5s Deliverances (and buggy double tapping) and no HP loss with Noble Sacrifice.

- Post 1.2 it took a big hit but I stuck with it and still kept doing good

- 1.4 Brought good things in the change to the knock back, Force Mend and Egress, it improved full Seer plenty but not to pre 1.2 levels but most importantly it brought:

b) Bubble Stun

- This spec is broken no denying that but it has improved Sage's massively, it is almost a perfect counter to losmashers, I have noticed that my overall healing has gone down though but I survive better meaning I get to do damage and play the objectives more.

c) Balance

- Awesome DPS spec, yes it will lose face-to-face to maras, pyros or juggs, but you are a Sage, you are not meant to look into their face. Approach from max range, dot them up, bomb them with FiB, slow their approach with Telekinetic throw, knock them back (or off ledges) snare them, slow them, stun them and own them with a Project as you run away and hide around a corner or circle a pillar.

d) Personal variation on Balance

- Sacrificing resource to burst damage, awesome for 1v1s but rubbish in long battles as you will soon be left with only TT.

And yes I have tried TK in PvP, it was hilarious and I never did it again. The tree has good PvP talents (why hybrid is so good) but the activated attacks just aren't suited for PvP. I have seen very good TK Sages in warzones but they are only good when they are hidden out of sight and left alone.

I have also tried lolsmash and assault, they are very effective but they are also boring requiring very little skill.

Edited by Darth_Dreselus