Star Wars: The Old Republic – State of the Game #2

EricMusco

I have to agree with this 100%. I'd take any of these over an SGR.

There's a lot of things I would like more than SGR too, but then, that doesn't mean this very, very long standing complaint needs to be ignored. My (or your) $15 a month isn't any more important than anyone else's.

• Replies 572
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You guys seem to forget, that there are many players who DON'T want natural occuring world PVP... When im leveling my toon, I don't want to fight Republic gankers as well... That's what I like about this game... I can level in peace.

Don't know about Ilum, but I suppose I don't want to be disturbed while doing dailies either.

When I want to PVP, I go to WarZones, or special Open World PVP Zones... (I know there aren't any yet... I meant in WoW)

Play on a PVE server... You play on a PVP server you get ganked once in a while.

If you already play on a PVE server then this conversation has 0 to do with you considering it wouldn't be implemented on your server.

But no mention of class story, bug fixes, the crash fixes, and server lag fix. I am still hesitant to put my faith into a swtor expansion with no re-assurance that all the pre-existing bugs, crashes and server lag will be fixed. Story and companion stories were the reason I played the game and that fact it was star wars. But without new storylines there is no point in continuing. Fp's, opts and WZ's seem all good and dandy, but for some ( like myself ) without story continuation, there really isn't a point in spending money on a game that is going nowhere.

Hickman, you want your old subscribers to come back? Simple, add more class story, add more companion story, fix all pre-existing bugs, crashes and server lag. If you can't fix the minor stuff, what's the point in asking for people to return?

There's a lot of things I would like more than SGR too, but then, that doesn't mean this very, very long standing complaint needs to be ignored. My (or your) $15 a month isn't any more important than anyone else's.

Very true. I'm not going to unsub because of this, but it kind of saddens me that it happened before so many other things.

Thanks for the update Jeff! Looking forward to the new planet- my husband and I have already bought the expansion. Also relieved SGR will only be on NPCs, although not sure why we need it. And I do hope it's easy to opt out. I realized you'd have to redo all the conversations for all the characters and companions to start over now. Not so good. The companions have so many dynamics as is. One false decision and it's a -52 ! And there's my female Juggernaut threatening poor Malavai Quinn into a romance- eesh Sith are monsters in love too... It's all fun.

Can't wait to talk with my companions again.

Congrats on making better sales! And looking forward to more fun events. The Chevron (sp?) was great I got 4 legacy weapons for my companions. Sorry Life Day didn't pan out was hoping we'd all meet in Alderaan although it may have been a bit messy for those under 30 (you have to walk thru bad guys).

I'm also looking forward to trying the PTS and possibly consolidating all my characters. I think it would require 24 slots on one server tho- in the least 16 (8 of each advanced class + new classes/species in the future).

Really enjoying the game, thanks for all the hard work : )

Edited by Desri

• Dev Post
We appreciate everyone's feedback! Please remember that discussion of real-world political and social issues is NOT appropriate for the forums. It's fine to state that you would or wouldn't like to see a feature, but discussing morality, ethics, or political or social issues themselves (or insulting others based on religion, race, sexuality, or any other basis) is not permitted. Please keep your comments directly relevant to Star Wars: The Old Republic. If you think your post MIGHT be political or social in nature, please err on the side of caution, as this kind of discussion can lead to infractions and suspensions.

True Nala and I did not say ignore it, I just said there are a lot of things that need fixed first QOL type of things. That should be easy fixes before something like this which requires the re-working of the entire character dialog based on orientation choice and is going to be a much bigger issue to tackle.

No mention of Cathar? and how long have the team been talking about them... They should of been out by now. Now I have a feeling when they are finally release they are going to have the uglest looks to them.

Update: Can we please get Cathar release ETA and put the ability to pay for a race change on the cartel marketplace.

Edited by EternalSoul

The sad thing is Bioware can now say they added some SGR despite it being crappy or nowhere near the quality(companions) then straight. But they will use this excuse and never do anything for companions. Congrats TOR team for being silent for months and then dropping this bombshell which is a hit in the gut to the people who where still hopeful. You should have said this oh I don't know? WEEKS AGO. Edited by kraidy

The engine is in much better shape compared to how it was back at launch. We have had some large PVP battles on our server and there were no framerate drop issues at all.

Seems some people can't get old ideas out of their head no matter how many improvements are made.

Just go out and try it, then you will see.

The engine is NOT in much better shape, making stuff up doesn't make it true. :rolleyes:

Amazing.

But no mention of class story, bug fixes, the crash fixes, and server lag fix. I am still hesitant to put my faith into a swtor expansion with no re-assurance that all the pre-existing bugs, crashes and server lag will be fixed. Story and companion stories were the reason I played the game and that fact it was star wars. But without new storylines there is no point in continuing. Fp's, opts and WZ's seem all good and dandy, but for some ( like myself ) without story continuation, there really isn't a point in spending money on a game that is going nowhere.

Hickman, you want your old subscribers to come back? Simple, add more class story, add more companion story, fix all pre-existing bugs, crashes and server lag. If you can't fix the minor stuff, what's the point in asking for people to return?

WoW has been out for 8 years now... still has bugs (lots left over from Vanilla days).. asking for all bugs to be fixed, is... not very realistic.

First off Great to have a state of the Game address for the new year and I look forward to more and details.

A few points though, first can we please stop with free to play, cartel market and that sort of thing. For subscribers the talk of free to play is not headline news. So far it has cost a lot of development time and offered by the looks of things a few pets, masks and the like which should have been offered free in game to subscribers. It wasn't we have to pay cartel coins for lock boxes, then the reason things like mekab missed this year was the free to play which isn't great, cathar are going to cost us and we have to purhcase them if we want to see any new species.

the new PvE areas and end game content how will this be effected by level 55 and the digital expansion in Spring. Already there is very little reason to do HM FP as the gear isn't great compared to what is given at reaching 50th. Will there be any point come level 55? Likewise will vault and palace become pointless with rakata and blackhole gear not worth the added effort when purple level 55 gear is equally as good. And then the talk of new difficulty? Is Nightmare mode really worth adding.

With open world PvP or at least what is offered, will this require people grinding out valor in warzones in order to participate. Will the expertise requirement make it impossible for someone even in dreadmaster gear be so under geared that the open pvp element will just be pointless for them. Thereby putting a barrier into open world PvP where you have to grind out valor in fight clubs like Hutt Ball.

Is there any news on Hood toggles. The destroy set from the cartel market is shown with the hood up in the picture but it worn with the hood down. The Revan mask looks best with a hood though the level of hooded armour that is adaptive is farily limited.

I would love to hear what is going to be done to add to companions and other end game options outside of the digital download.

True Nala and I did not say ignore it, I just said there are a lot of things that need fixed first QOL type of things. That should be easy fixes before something like this which requires the re-working of the entire character dialog based on orientation choice and is going to be a much bigger issue to tackle.

It doesn't work that way. It has never worked that way. Everyone that complains about bugs (which is code for any piddly thing that annoys people whether an actual bug or not) or whatever forget that you can't just assign resources willy-nilly.

What the heck are the voice actors doing the SGR dialogue expected to do about bugs? Or adding better world PvP? Do you think the quest writers can fix latency problems or do engine optimization? No. All that stuff needs to be done by the people whose job it is to fix that stuff. It's not a question of SGR pushing those things out of the way. They aren't in competition.

Particularly since they aren't going back and adding SGR to the companions. It's new stuff and probably not much more work than adding new opposite gender romances.

If I had chat bubbles, keeping my 50 entertaining would be so much easier. It kills me this is one of the biggest requests, and a easy win for longer term players. I don't need new voice acting, gear, or skill, super nice to get those, but what I really want is to play with the people playing.

Chat Bubbles....

Batches Bull

Lab Chubs Let

Stall Chub Be

Shat Cub Bell

No matter what or how, its all about wanting chat bubbles for many of us. :(:(:(:(:(

Nothing on engine optimization and a giant middle finger for people asking for world pvp...great update.

I wish they would at least let us earn valor from killing opposing faction in world pvp even that little addition might encourage some world pvp...maybe just add area wide buffs to faction that controls a couple towers in a zone at a given time etc...nothing major but at least something! As for ilum I'll believe it when I see it and I cant wait for them to shut down ilum 2.0 after 2 weeks when the players show how inexperienced the devs are by finding a way to trade farm kills for everyone to max valor again.

And wth is this Elder game talk? End game maybe? its grown quite stale and Im sorry but the whole story mode, hard mode, nightmare mode model isn't really working...it gets boring and repetitive doing the same thing in 3 different modes.

I swear to God bioware has no clue at all...guess we can just expect further looting of our wallets with no real improvements.

There was alot of frame rate issues at launch, now? Hardly anymore for me. I say that's an improvement. :rolleyes:

That's because you don't see 200+ players PvP'ing anymore, anywhere, in the same area.

Standing on the fleet is nothing compared to the stress that Ilum produced, not by a long shot.

The engine has NOT changed, minus tweaks here and there, you plant 100+ players in one area fighting one another and no matter how great you think your rig/internet is, you will be experiencing 5FPS like everyone else.

Fact.

I have been playing since beta 2 and it has improved immensely since launch.

That's nice so have I, still has NO bearing on the hero engine being able to handle Open World PvP like Ilum months ago.

The result would be the same, which is why EA hasn't tried to bring it back.