Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Any quick way to tell a player's discipline?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > PvP

TacoClaw
05.15.2018 , 08:14 PM | #1
Sorry for what may be a noob question. It's obvious how to tell a player's advanced class based on their little marker, but is there a quick way to tell their discipline? Right now I kind of have to watch how they are playing and pick it up that way, but I was wondering if anyone has any quick tricks (besides inspecting player).

Mostly I'm trying to tell quickly what role they are playing.

Thanks for any tips.

TrixxieTriss
05.15.2018 , 08:40 PM | #2
Quote: Originally Posted by TacoClaw View Post
Sorry for what may be a noob question. It's obvious how to tell a player's advanced class based on their little marker, but is there a quick way to tell their discipline? Right now I kind of have to watch how they are playing and pick it up that way, but I was wondering if anyone has any quick tricks (besides inspecting player).

Thanks for any tips.
That’s pretty much it because health doesn’t tell you anything anymore since we’ve got gear gods that look like tanks.

The only way is to look at the abilities they are using. ie, healers are the easiest to spot because their healing abilities really stand out. Sin tanks and Engineering snipers and Sorcs really stand out.
Melee can get a bit tricky if you don’t play that class and don’t recognise the individual spec abilities. If you do, then they are easy to identify pretty fast.

The only way to know is to learn most of the specs in the game by playing them or experience playing against them

Aeneas_Falco
05.15.2018 , 10:09 PM | #3
Mercs you can tell by the cell graphic special effects around the blasters. It's different depending on the spec. That said, probably 90% of the Mercs you run into are Arsenal.

Elusive_Thing
05.16.2018 , 03:01 PM | #4

Thanks for any tips.
For Infiltration/Deception, looks for Shadow's Respite/Dark Embrace buff. It will be on virtually all the time and especially Dark Embrace's icon is very easy to spot.

Tactics/AP can have more than 4 shoulders cannon and stack up energy lodes. They will usually have at least one energy lode.

Anyway, a lot of specs have some buffs they have on just about all the time. Learn the icons.

MackPol
05.16.2018 , 03:07 PM | #5
You can also inspect gear and check the set bonus, could give you a decent idea before the match even starts.
Ofc not everyone has set gear and some people may just play different spec to what they normally do .

sayNih
05.16.2018 , 05:03 PM | #6
Discipline has little to do with PvP role. Breaking the role barrier is classic FOTM imbalance. There is the skank Tank who puts out dps, and the Merc who face-tanks. Even a Sorc healer can tank a node, using their mobility to stay alive.

Then there is the stealth who puts out full NiM ops dps. Are they playing the stealth role, or dps? or CC role? Are they using stealth tactically, or not at all? I suspect a lot of stealth players don't know how to play the role. Then don't need to.

These issues are why I suggest role-specific pruning for 6.0, similar to the ranged/melee pruning of 5.0.
""*

-Bob-
05.16.2018 , 05:32 PM | #7
yes, face tank them.
There are no Victims, Only volunteers!
Der Untermensch
Referral link