Vengeance and Rage Juggernaut/Vigilance and Focus Guardian Set Bonus Discussion

EricMusco

• Dev Post

Hey everyone,

We wanted to take a moment to reach out to the community to collect ideas on set bonuses. We are looking for opinions on current and previous set bonuses as well as concepts for future. This thread will cover Vengeance and Rage Juggernauts/Vigilance and Focus Guardians.

Note: Our intent is to have set bonuses not increase DPS by more than 5%. Please keep this in mind when posting your suggestions.

Current Level 60 Set Bonuses (for reference)

• 2-Piece: Sundering Assault or Sundering Strike increases damage dealt by 2% for 15 seconds. Cannot occur more than once every 30 of seconds.
  • 4-Piece: Reduces the minimum range of Saber Throw by 10 meters.
  • 6-Piece: Activating Saber Throw will grant Vindicator's Critical Bonus making your next Impale and Furious Strike or Overhead Slash and Concentrated Slice critically hit. This effect cannot occur more than once every minute.

Cheers, all!

The SWTOR Combat Team

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The bonus is good for vengeance, but it is still a bit too essential compared to other classes bonuses. The 0 meter range on saber throw should just be written into the ability. It changes the rotation, rather than just increasing damage.

The bonus is good for vengeance, but it is still a bit too essential compared to other classes bonuses. The 0 meter range on saber throw should just be written into the ability. It changes the rotation, rather than just increasing damage.

Yes the 0 meter saber throw should be written in its WAY too essential compared to other classes, having something else have no min rage with saber throw written in would be interesting...

I'm actually a fan of these set bonuses but I agree with what DarthZaul intimated. It seems the 0 meter saber throw is more of a necessity for the rotation instead of a boon, which may devalue the 4-set compared to other classes a bit.

Would there be any possibility to varying the set bonuses between the two DPS specs and/or PvE vs PvP? I know that is likely more time-consuming but the added level of distinction would do wonders for a sense of identity between all of the specs.

Hey everyone,

We wanted to take a moment to reach out to the community to collect ideas on set bonuses. We are looking for opinions on current and previous set bonuses as well as concepts for future. This thread will cover Vengeance and Rage Juggernauts/Vigilance and Focus Guardians.

Note: Our intent is to have set bonuses not increase DPS by more than 5%. Please keep this in mind when posting your suggestions.

• 2-Piece: Sundering Assault or Sundering Strike increases damage dealt by 2% for 15 seconds. Cannot occur more than once every 30 of seconds.
  • 6-Piece: Activating Saber Throw will grant Vindicator's Critical Bonus making your next Impale and Furious Strike or Overhead Slash and Concentrated Slice critically hit. This effect cannot occur more than once every minute.

Cheers, all!

The SWTOR Combat Team

Make the 4set a default part of the ability of Saber Throw itself.

Replace the 4set with a 8% damage boost to Master Strike.

Tack on for the 6pc an option for it to proc from Blade Storm, not just Saber Throw.

New Level 60 Set Bonuses

• 4-Piece: Increases the Damage of Master Strike/Ravage by 8%
  • 6-Piece: Activating Saber Throw or Blade Storm will grant Vindicator's Critical Bonus making your next Impale and Furious Strike or Overhead Slash and Concentrated Slice critically hit. This effect cannot occur more than once every minute.

Misc: Saber Throw now has a range of 0 to 30 meters.

Edited by GrandLordMenace

Like everyone said, please remove rotation neccesary perks from being in a set bonus.

Aside from that, I think the current set bonuses are for the most part boring and really generic among all clases. I'd like that set bonuses were improvements to classes utilities and quality of life issues.

A few quickly tought examples of possible juggs set bonus:

2 piece: 2% extra movement speed (aditive with shien stance, not multiplicative) or extended master strike channel range (not activation range)

4 piece: Shatter/Plasma Brand Increases your raid group damage reduction by 2% for 5 seconds

6 piece: All dot damage increased by 8 % (less realiance on MS)

thats my 2c.

I'm likewise going to chime in that the saber throw minimum range removal should simply be a class feature. Back under 2.x it was popular for guardians (especially once the proc to reset master strike became more reliable) to use the two peice guardian set bonus, and the 2 peice sentinal set bonus. as such Perhaps BW should consider bringing that back and having the guardian 4 peice set bonus be a buff to master strike while saber throw's minimum range is removed at a later level?

Like everyone said, please remove rotation neccesary perks from being in a set bonus.

Aside from that, I think the current set bonuses are for the most part boring and really generic among all clases. I'd like that set bonuses were improvements to classes utilities and quality of life issues.

2 piece: 2% extra movement speed (aditive with shien stance, not multiplicative) or extended master strike channel range (not activation range)

4 piece: Shatter/Plasma Brand Increases your raid group damage reduction by 2% for 5 seconds

thats my 2c.

Yep. 2/3 dot damage hits for 200 and less. It is very weak. 1/3 dots is good.

New Level 60 Set Bonuses

• 6-Piece: Activating Saber Throw or Blade Storm will grant Vindicator's Critical Bonus making your next Impale and Furious Strike or Overhead Slash and Concentrated Slice critically hit. This effect cannot occur more than once every minute.

This sounds good to me.

If nothing else just make the old 4p baseline. Saber Throw doesn't need a minimum range. Whatever new 4p you want to add is fine, but I like the Ravage/MS damage.

thats my 2c.

Correct me if im wrong, but jugg dps isnt just vengeance, afaik you have Rage too :)

New Level 60 Set Bonuses

This sounds...perfect. :D

Cheers, all!

The SWTOR Combat Team

While Jugg/guard is not a class that I play that much, I feel strongly for this one.

The

4-Piece: Reduces the minimum range of Saber Throw by 10 meters.

Needs to be a baseline for Saber throw, not a set bonus. As it is, Saber throw feels like it should be in rotation for both specs which is redundant with the 6-piece bonus...

Something that builds focus and is a nearly essential filler and/or part of a rotation should never be in the set bonus, it needs to exist in the baseline. If this is not intended for Tanks as it seems then an equal effect should take place in that stance separate the dps, this can be an effect based on stance and possibly introduce another use for this ability depending on spec.

Edited by Krev_Roo

I agree that the 4 pc needs to be made baseline. Set bonuses that change rotations are not cool because they turn a bonus into a requirement.

I would, however, note that the MS replacement suggestion that seems to be a popular idea to replace the 4pc benefits Vengeance a hell of a lot more than it does Rage. In an environment where set bonuses are standardized and we aren't supposed to have a choice of which set bonus to use anymore, that is neither fair nor good game design.

I'd change it to "Increases the damage of Master Strike or Smash by 8%" or maybe tone it down to 5% if it increases DPS by too much. That makes it relevant to Rage, and Vengeance should be using Vengeful Slam, not Smash.

FWIW, I only have the new 4pc and I kept the old 2pc. I'm not a big fan of the 6pc even though the community consensus is that the 6pc comes out ahead due to raid mobility requirements forcing us to clip Ravage. I'd note that it took a long time for the community to reach that consensus. The rate limit seems too high for the bonus to be noticed, unless doing content such as dailies where there is frequent but short downtime between pulls. If the rate limit exceeds 30 seconds, it should be tied to a Recklessness-type cooldown instead of a set bonus proc so we can control it, IMO.

In french, the 4 pc is bugged and instead of saying that the min distance for saber throw is reduced from 10m to 0, it says that the damage done by force scream or blade storm are increased by 8%. Both spec use it rotationally, it could be an idea. And since you end up breaking the channel of master strike/ravage most the time in real boss fight, it could be more beneficial.

I agree that the 4 pc needs to be made baseline. Set bonuses that change rotations are not cool because they turn a bonus into a requirement.

I would, however, note that the MS replacement suggestion that seems to be a popular idea to replace the 4pc benefits Vengeance a hell of a lot more than it does Rage. In an environment where set bonuses are standardized and we aren't supposed to have a choice of which set bonus to use anymore, that is neither fair nor good game design.

I'd change it to "Increases the damage of Master Strike or Smash by 8%" or maybe tone it down to 5% if it increases DPS by too much. That makes it relevant to Rage, and Vengeance should be using Vengeful Slam, not Smash.

FWIW, I only have the new 4pc and I kept the old 2pc. I'm not a big fan of the 6pc even though the community consensus is that the 6pc comes out ahead due to raid mobility requirements forcing us to clip Ravage. I'd note that it took a long time for the community to reach that consensus. The rate limit seems too high for the bonus to be noticed, unless doing content such as dailies where there is frequent but short downtime between pulls. If the rate limit exceeds 30 seconds, it should be tied to a Recklessness-type cooldown instead of a set bonus proc so we can control it, IMO.

Except that's not entirely true. Rage used the 2pc sentinel bonus back in the day OVER blade storm's bonus because it simply did more damage. Plus, Ravage has a lot shorter cooldown than it did in the past. IMHO, the bonus benefits both specs. Ravage is still an integral part of the rage sustained rotation.

In french, the 4 pc is bugged and instead of saying that the min distance for saber throw is reduced from 10m to 0, it says that the damage done by force scream or blade storm are increased by 8%. Both spec use it rotationally, it could be an idea. And since you end up breaking the channel of master strike/ravage most the time in real boss fight, it could be more beneficial.

IT wouldn't be more beneficial. There are other ways to decrease reliance on Ravage, but the fact is that the blade storm bonus is ****.

Also, increasing reliance on Ravage is a GOOD thing. It promotes this little thing called skill, or more accurately, basic awareness.