The Secret to Guardian Tanking

seraphimm

i really love this hybrid build and Ser's was the first JK tank guide i read! played it for a while and hit a speed bump when set bonuses gave 20% buff to blade barrier - imo it took blade barrier from "a waste of time" to "not too much of a waste". so went back to def tree. having said that, the guardian leap combo is still very much useful to me, as focus gen and as a rescue to a team mate.

I am very glad that blade barrier is being moved to tier 4 post1.2, and this will mean hybrid build can actually add that to its list of usefulness - will definitely be hitting hybrid build again. i am sure quite a few def tree tanks will do so too.

good job

Thanks for the kind words.

Sorry I have not been on the forums for a while. I have mainly concentrated on my healing Scoundrel and Bounty Hunter, that and having just retired from the Navy I was working on mt Masters.

That being said I'm very excited about the changes coming up in 1.2 and will probably be on my Guardian all weekend getting the new numbers together so I can re-post my 2.0 version of the guide with new build information and set contributions to skills.

Thanks for the support all, look for an update possibly 4/16 or so.

• Replies 292
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for the kind words.

Sorry I have not been on the forums for a while. I have mainly concentrated on my healing Scoundrel and Bounty Hunter, that and having just retired from the Navy I was working on mt Masters.

That being said I'm very excited about the changes coming up in 1.2 and will probably be on my Guardian all weekend getting the new numbers together so I can re-post my 2.0 version of the guide with new build information and set contributions to skills.

Thanks for the support all, look for an update possibly 4/16 or so.

Just wanted to ask two more things, knowing that you play hybrid.

1) Guardian Slash is getting an aggro buff, and several other changes to the Def tree.. do you think you will be giving Def Spec a try to test the changes or will you max your time in hybrid? Just wanted to see how people feel about the top tier Def tree adjustments.

2) i have ended up with 34/7 for the time being (until today i hope) based on some things i found useful. rakata gear is loaded with accuracy, which at first i raged about. i then realised it's approx 3% accuracy, which made the Accuracy talent a waste - so i ended up refunding those points and putting them into the def tree (to buff up my enure - which i previously did't have any points in). Do you think that the Def and Absorb gain on Rakata gear while talenting Accuracy would be better than having untalented Accuracy and going 34/7? Bearing in mind a Def tree spec, not a hybrid :)

if anyone has opinions, i would really want to hear them :) and yes, things may change today, so this may become irrelevant.

Just wanted to ask two more things, knowing that you play hybrid.

1) Guardian Slash is getting an aggro buff, and several other changes to the Def tree.. do you think you will be giving Def Spec a try to test the changes or will you max your time in hybrid? Just wanted to see how people feel about the top tier Def tree adjustments.

2) i have ended up with 34/7 for the time being (until today i hope) based on some things i found useful. rakata gear is loaded with accuracy, which at first i raged about. i then realised it's approx 3% accuracy, which made the Accuracy talent a waste - so i ended up refunding those points and putting them into the def tree (to buff up my enure - which i previously did't have any points in). Do you think that the Def and Absorb gain on Rakata gear while talenting Accuracy would be better than having untalented Accuracy and going 34/7? Bearing in mind a Def tree spec, not a hybrid :)

if anyone has opinions, i would really want to hear them :) and yes, things may change today, so this may become irrelevant.

I always try both trees with several different combinations before I make any suggestions. I've purposely not changed my spec in the last couple weeks so I could afford a host of re-specs after the changes.

I've always been a big one for accuracy up to my max. I would say 6% acc is better than 3% unless it takes you to over 100%. That being said if you're close you may only need 1 or 2 points instead of all 3.

I always try both trees with several different combinations before I make any suggestions. I've purposely not changed my spec in the last couple weeks so I could afford a host of re-specs after the changes.

I've always been a big one for accuracy up to my max. I would say 6% acc is better than 3% unless it takes you to over 100%. That being said if you're close you may only need 1 or 2 points instead of all 3.

cool to know and thank you :) your efforts are appreciated!

im also fan of 100% accuracy. with full rakata, my accuracy is 101% without the Accuracy talent, which is why i ask the question - i was wondering if that is what the devs had in mind when they went and put so much accuracy on rakata, when columi and tionese had none. also, the toss up is using columi enhancements in rakata gear and keeping Accuracy talented, or using rakata as is and having the 3 extra tree points?

The Defense build looks much better now imo. I'm using a 31/8/2 build now

Better because you actually get more defensive talents than you did pre-1.2?

Or better merely because we lost Protector in Vigilance?

To me, 1.2 looks like a straight nerf to Guardian Tanking.

No cooldown reduction on Challenging Call.

AoE damage nerf to both Swelling Winds and Pacification.

Dust Storm now requires an extra talent point for the same benefit.

Protector totally gone.

What did we get in return for all those nerfs?

A Self heal we can't use?

bearing in mind that the nerfs happened and we cant do anything about it, heres the few upsides. (i am mainly pve)

this will definitely get a few more people playing hybrid imo - even if hybrid lost protector. hybrids can now benefit from blade barrier set bonus, which for me was a reason i went Def tree after trying out hybrid.

for now, im trying Def tree again, and have found that it opened up 2 skill points which i never had pre1.2.

cant wait to try hybrid to see what the effects are. so far, defence is good, and the guardian slash aggro buff has been felt!

The hybrid was nerfed, as you say, and the defense build had guardian slash buffed, as well as a 6% white damage increase. Anyway, I've explained on multiple threads where I stand on the two builds

The 6% dam buff applies to everything, not just def build. Hybrid got nerfed because it lost protector, but at the same time def didn't get any inc in surv. So they are essentially the same surv wise.

As for threat, I think hybrid still wins even though guardian slash got buffed.

The 6% dam buff applies to everything, not just def build. Hybrid got nerfed because it lost protector, but at the same time def didn't get any inc in surv. So they are essentially the same surv wise.

can't agree. with recent changes, it's very hard to keep agro as a hybrid tank. unfortunately, with challenging call cd reduction gone, it's very hard to tank as an offtank nowadays.

imo, pve tanks did loose some potential due to that fact, but master strike and guardian slash buffs more than make up for that :)

Edited by Carousel_t

For clarification, I was asserting in a blanket statement that the hybrid was nerfed, and then was less vague when addressing the Defense build by throwing out some ways that it was buffed in terms of threat generation. Yes, I am aware that Single Saber Master applies to everything.

Wait what? The Hybrid build wasn't nerfed. They buffed it and gave even more incentive NOT to go full defense tree. Yes some utility is gone such as the 20% dmg. reduction from Guardian Leap and the 4% endurance boost but overall it is still WAY BETTER then going full defense tree because you can get Blade Barricade. Defense tree is still a complete joke. They totally nerfed the defense tree. Giving an extra few percent of DPS is does not make up for lost utility and loss of a cc. Also why the hell did they remove the interrupt from Force Leap in PvP? Now it's almost impossible to pressure a healer.

Gear stats for Guardians is ridiculous. They got it right on the Campaign/Black hole gear. But on the other sets such as Rakata you have to spend about 2mil just to remod and get the correct stats if you ever want to tank a nightmare mode. The real secret to Guardian is to not play it like Bioware wants you to. Hell I don't even think they know how they want the class to be played.

The Secret to Guardian Tanking... is a good healer.

Anyway, it's a fallacy that you have to hold ALL threat from everything. You start at the top, pickup the biggest baddest and a couple more high danger enemies, let the healer and the DPS hold off for 2-3 global cool-downs or so and DPS works up from the weakest to strongest.

Wait what? The Hybrid build wasn't nerfed. They buffed it and gave even more incentive NOT to go full defense tree. Yes some utility is gone such as the 20% dmg. reduction from Guardian Leap and the 4% endurance boost but overall it is still WAY BETTER then going full defense tree because you can get Blade Barricade. Defense tree is still a complete joke. They totally nerfed the defense tree. Giving an extra few percent of DPS is does not make up for lost utility and loss of a cc. Also why the hell did they remove the interrupt from Force Leap in PvP? Now it's almost impossible to pressure a healer.

Gear stats for Guardians is ridiculous. They got it right on the Campaign/Black hole gear. But on the other sets such as Rakata you have to spend about 2mil just to remod and get the correct stats if you ever want to tank a nightmare mode. The real secret to Guardian is to not play it like Bioware wants you to. Hell I don't even think they know how they want the class to be played.

What are you talking about?? First of all, I think you mean Blade Barrier. Second of all, in what way was the Defense tree nerfed, and how is it a complete joke? wheres this loss of utility and cc you are seeing?

As for the pvp thing, they removed it because it built too much resolve for just a 2 second stun with your main distance-closing move. How could you not know that?

Also if you get Blade Barrier you give up Force Rush and Swelling Winds, and signficantly reduce your threat and damage output. Basically you're reduced to taunt-tanking, which is no fun and ez mode. Give me the Defense tree anyday with more utility and focus generation, at least then I have options

• 2 months later...
so which is better for pve tanking. full defence or hybrid. i want to bea ble do decent damge but live long enough to do it. i just want to be able to take a lot of damage. which is better. this is so confusing

I have tanked Denova HM with 8/33/0 build and it worked much better than 31 point+ Defence builds.

With 1.3 who knows what is best but for me personally the tanking tree is just quite boring to play.